Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #1

At the Quartzsite RV Show today I came across an adapter by OEM Engineering to allow use of standard off the shelf automotive fuel filters on the Workhorse chassis. The unit is machined from a block of stainless steel stock, and appears well made. no brochure available. Comes with one standard new filter, total cost $77.00. This subject has been discussed in the past here, can't find mention of this unit. Looking for input from anyone familiar with the product. Website www.oem-engineering.com.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #2

At the Quartzsite RV Show today I came across an adapter by OEM Engineering to allow use of standard off the shelf automotive fuel filters on the Workhorse chassis. The unit is machined from a block of stainless steel stock, and appears well made. no brochure available. Comes with one standard new filter, total cost $77.00. This subject has been discussed in the past here, can't find mention of this unit. Looking for input from anyone familiar with the product. Website www.oem-engineering.com.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:08 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Fuel Filter Adapter"
OEM Engineering, LLC has released the long awaited fuel filter adapter to allow the use of the GM GF481/652 style fuel filter. This adapter is a retrofit for the late 2003 and up fuel filter that is used on the Workhorse Custom Chassis 8.1L equipped motorhomes.

Availability
This adapter is currently available but in limited quantities.

Cost
Adapter with GM GF652 filter - $77
Extra GM GF652 filter - $14.50
plus Tax & S/H

Note - 2 WCC OEM filters will cost approximately $120. But, you can get the ADPATER & 2 GM GF652 filters shipped to your door for about $100.

Order Info
EMAIL Oemy http://oemys-performance.com/

Brgman
brgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:23 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Keith, will Redlands Truck Service be offering this adaptor? Rick
Old 01-20-2008, 08:03 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Is it guaranteed? If it fails or causes a problem will OEM Engineering cover any damages?

Many of us on this forum complained that Workhorse's new fuel filter shouldn't cost so much more from the original filter which would maybe place it at $20 or $30 at the most.

So in this case why does the OEM filter adapter have a price of $62.50.
If memory serves I think I remember this little kit was built for less then $10. At least that's what was stated when this filter issue hit this forum a year or so ago.

So why is OEM Engineering charging so much for something that can be built for so little. It appears their being just like Workhorse, marking up the price just to make a buck off of us.

I could see paying maybe $15 or $20, but not $60+.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree the price for the adaptor from OEM Engineering seems a little steep, but remember the homemade adaptor was made from parts you supplied and put together but someone who was not trying to earn a living off it. The OEM piece is machined from a solid block of metal, and machined parts are not cheap, and then you have to throw in packaging, advertising, markup and you start to get to the price neighborhood we are talking about. I would guess it is also due to some liability concerns should something go wrong with anyone who purchases and uses this product.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 09:53 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Hey guys,

1) Go price a 3/4"x1 1/4"x6' bar of T304 Stainless Steel
Note - Don't forget about waste during cutting and machining.
2) Go price a design services from a SAE Engineer for certification.
3) Go price a complete set of egineering drawings and machining specifications/drawings.
4) Go price CNC setup & run time for a short production run of say 200 pieces
6) Go price Viton "O" rings...
7) Go price a attorneys time
8) Go price the new GM 652 filter
9) Add in some profit.
or
10) Save yourself some money an get the parts and weld one up.

It's guaranteed against material and workmanship failure. The only way it will fail is if you screw it up when you install it. If you cross thread it, fail to inspect all the Viton "O" rings (there a 4 - 3 on the fuel fittings and 1 on the adapter) or you fail to tighten the fittings/filter.

I have been running proto type "0" for over a month and it works as good as my DIY version.

Bob,
I went through the same thought process when I started to look at UltraPower. After a complete failure of the $150 tune I purchased UltraPower. I also did some home work and soon realized I would have about $3000 in hardware and software to do my own tune. I also figure it would take me at least a year to perfect the tune with out a dyno time and dyno time isn't cheap. Heavens knows what I would have destroyed during testing.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:28 PM   #8

I took a closer look at the unit today, talked to the guy who built it. He does have a sizeable investment in it and right now is trying to recoup his expenses. It appears to be a well made product. You get what you pay for. My experience has been the better quality in life costs more.
So Dale, would you recommend it?
Old 01-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have been running proto type "0" for over a month and it works as designed. Would I buy one, in a heart beat.

Consider....

1 WCC fuel filters - $60
1 WCC spare fuel filter $60
Total - $120

1 adapter/filter - $77
1 spare GM filter $14.50
Total - $92.50 savings of $27.50
Next filter, save close to $45 if you by a GM filter.

Install WCC FF remove 3 fuel fittings at each change.

Install the adapter/filter, 3 fuel fittings 1 time. Next change 1 fuel fitting and the filter.

Me, I change fuel filters every year and I have yet to find one I cut open not to be fairly dirty.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #10

Ok, tomarrow morning. I'll tell him you sent me.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Talked to Glenn Norman of OEM Engineering today and invited him to give a seminar at the April Workhorse Owners club Rally in Tucson, during our Tech Day. He is a Club member and hopes to be there. Maybe I can talk him into a Rally Price.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:26 PM   #12
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Dale,

You should introduce yourself to Glenn's Grandson he doesnt know who you are! I told him where the product's name came from,OEMy!!!!
Old 01-21-2008, 05:51 PM   #13
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I looked at the product today in Quartsite. Superb. Well machined. I would recommend one to any one.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:02 PM   #14

Oemy,
Do you have product liability insurance in place?
Randy
knebrdr is offline   Reply With Quote