Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2013, 10:10 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FYI ==> Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner

Buy One Get One FREE

AutoZone now till June 24th

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

2003 Damon DAYBREAK Model# 3275 // 2002 P32 Workhorse Custom Chassis, 8.1L Vortec 8100,180 Thermostat, .045 SP Gap, SuperSteer Rear Track Bar, Roadmaster Front Spreader Bar, SuperSteer Bell Cranks, Koni FSD ,,,
iRV4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #16
HHg

More than likely, no you don't need to change plugs and wires, unless you can feel or hear a miss.

Hhg

Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by what next View Post
I have an 08 W22 30,000 miles. So it is 5 years old, I have changed all the fluids done all the usual maintenance.
It runs fine just great I think, I get around 7 mpg on hwy towing a 3600 car. So here is the question should I change plugs and maybe even wires? Now remember It runs great I think.

We have a 82 Pace Arrow and she had been running fine I thought too until the last run we did she was very rough I thought that with all the rain we had that the Distributor was wet. The previous owner had changed plugs at 35,600 miles and now has 48,000 miles so I decided to change the plugs and a new cap, rotor and PVC valve 1 of the plugs was only finger tight and 2 of the wires were barely on the plug. The air cleaner was black I have never seen one so black and I had replaced it last year so it only had a couple thousand miles on it so I changed it also. He had changed the wires with high end wires so I fixed the 2 and kept the rest. I can not believe how smooth she idles. I thought she ran good before also. Today I am going to take her out on the road to see how she preforms, maybe even open up that 4 barrel on the 454. Let you know how it goes.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I will raise the BS flag on 100,000 plugs and wires.

78k plugs

Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dale,

Was the engine these worn plugs came from miss firing? Was that the reason for replacement, or just routine maintenance? Granted they look much worse than the new ones. Just curious....
Old 06-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
I will raise the BS flag on 100,000 plugs and wires.

78k plugs

Those in no way are a normal looking plug. There is also an underlying issue going on to cause the plugs to look like that. Almost looks like some carbon with a hot running engine. Possible a fuel additive was used and also induced this. This plug has 125K on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130611_074839_342.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	40954  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Those in no way are a normal looking plug. There is also an underlying issue going on to cause the plugs to look like that. Almost looks like some carbon with a hot running engine. Possible a fuel additive was used and also induced this. This plug has 125K on it.
Pretty common with 8.1's that use 1qt oil per tank of gas.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #22

There is a danger of doing more harm than good when replacing spark plugs if the person doing it
does not thoroughly blow all crud, sand, and debris away from the spark plug holes using compressed air
BEFORE the spark plugs are taken out. If when taking the spark plug out, a little crud falls back into the
hole, then the damage done by scoring the cylinder walls is permanent and very unfortunate.

If the engine is running good, I would not take the chance. Modern ignition systems are so powerful they can reliably create
a spark even with very worn electrodes and large gaps.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Pretty common with 8.1's that use 1qt oil per tank of gas.
The plugs look pretty impressive for burning that much oil. I would have expected them to be more oil soaked and sooty. Not sure on the 8.1L but to burn that much oil with that little of miles seems pretty rare on any modern engine. Lack of maintenance?
Old 06-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
There is a danger of doing more harm than good when replacing spark plugs if the person doing it
does not thoroughly blow all crud, sand, and debris away from the spark plug holes using compressed air
BEFORE the spark plugs are taken out. If when taking the spark plug out, a little crud falls back into the
hole, then the damage done by scoring the cylinder walls is permanent and very unfortunate.

I also do the same thing. I am anal about blowing away any little debris before removing spark plugs. I will even leave the plugs out and crank the engine over to try and verify nothing still has not fallen into the combustion chamber. Some guys at work ask me why I do that and it is a simple answer, I care about keeping the customers engine as clean and damage free as possible. And, that's what I get paid to do.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #25

Quote:
The plugs look pretty impressive for burning that much oil. I would have expected them to be more oil soaked and sooty. Not sure on the 8.1L but to burn that much oil with that little of miles seems pretty rare on any modern engine. Lack of maintenance?
Any number of IRV2 members have the issued.... According Workhorse and GM than is considered "Normal". Just Google 8.1 oil consumption and you will find it is very common even with trucks.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Any number of IRV2 members have the issued.... According Workhorse and GM than is considered "Normal". Just Google 8.1 oil consumption and you will find it is very common even with trucks.
WOW that is very surprising. Ford truck specs is 1 quart every 3000 miles. One quart every gas tank is unbelievable.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #27

Quote:
WOW that is very surprising. Ford truck specs is 1 quart every 3000 miles. One quart every gas tank is unbelievable.
Remember, we are taking about 75 gals of gas and 22,000 lbs or more.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Remember, we are taking about 75 gals of gas and 22,000 lbs or more.
Yes I know, that's why I pulled the spec from Fords heavy truck gas chassis, F53 and F650. up to 30,000 GVW