Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New shroud, same prolems. fan hitting. Thinkin' motor mounts??

Workhorse sent me new shrouds and although there is a difference the fan still hits the bottom shroud.. At this point I'm thinking maybe motor mounts?? Anybody had any problems with them, or has changed them out?? Thinkin' mounts weak allowing engine to settle a half inch or so!! Any thoughts appreciated Jim C. 520-227-2751
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Does the fan hit all the time or only when revving in gear? If the mounts were bad, it would tend to hit while revving.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We've always had to pull the lower shroud down a hair and put a zip screw thru the center in the bottom lip of the shroud into the cross rail to keep it from making contact.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jim as John said the bottom needs a screw or two to hold it down from fan. Also if a bad engine mount the engine will rise not fall when bad.

Mike
Old 09-28-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Jim as John said the bottom needs a screw or two to hold it down from fan. Also if a bad engine mount the engine will rise not fall when bad.

Mike
I agree, mount problem would tend towards contact at top, under engine load. Unless the mounts are oil soaked; that's about the only condition that would allow enough sag for bottom contact, then the fan would contact bottom at idle and move enough to contact the top under load.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fan hits just by spinning it by hand. (Fan is almost jammed. Have to really pull to move it). Has three screws across the bottom. Was thinkin' maybe motor mounts just settled. Mounts could rise a good 1 nch and not hit the top shield..thats the problem.. For some reason the top has at least one inch clearance, while the bottom has none.....like the whole thing just settled.. That's why I was thinking motor mounts, not necessarily bad as far as being broken, but sunken from heat fatigue.. Have not had theses apart.. went to La Mesa RV today to talk to techs.. They say possible, but not likely.. Has anybody had these off would it be possible to Shim up..One tech suggested this!! Jim C. 520-227-2751
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Jim, I had no problem with my new shrouds. I might suggest taking it off and comparing it with the old shroud, I compared mine before installing and they were identical. I wonder if you could add some shims between the upper and lower shroud to bring it down a bit.

For reference
The part numbers molded into my new shrouds are.
Upper Shroud – W0013763
Lower Shroud – W0013764
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm not familiar with these coaches.. Is this one a front engine/rear drive? If so, you might want to look at the tranny mount. If broke, it could allow the motor to tilt down in front. Its a long shot though.. What you might want to ask the dealer is the installed angle of the motor and compare that..
Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the input. You might want to read my other post about this. "fan shroud Craziness". This has been going on for over two months now. Workhorse just sent me new shrouds (AGAIN) and it's the same problem. I'm just grasping at straws here, as far as mounts go.. I have already spaced out the shrouds with 3 washers and that's NOT ENOUGH. What I may have to do is move the upper down about a half inch and then space with washers between the two go from there.. I'm going to pull motor mount this morning and see if it's OK..Also may be able to shim motor mount up a half inch and that would take care of problem. Upper shroud has at least an inch clearance and bottom shroud won't go on.. That's why I'm thinkin' motor mounts!!! May be just weak from 8 years in AZ heat and rubber not torn, but just sagging from engine weight due to heat.. It's a theory at least??? Jim
Old 09-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
If you shim up the motor, you need to recheck your driveshaft's angle of incidence and make sure its still in tolerance.. To tell you the truth, I'm at a loss if its not a broken tranny mount, bent crossmember, or bent radiator support. I dont see the mounts 'sagging' like you describe. If the rubber were bad, it would allow too much movement upon revving/loading the motor and this you would notice.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
It’s hard to believe that something mechanical went wacko with your motorhome between the time you removed the old shroud and installed the new shroud. I haven’t checked the clearance at the upper shroud. I know there isn’t much clearance on the lower shroud but it does clear.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I'm at a loss as to why it was changed in the first place? WH have a recall? Your other thread doesnt explain much about your particular problem either.. It seems to have been hi-jacked...
Old 09-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please check the percentage of "fan" thats sticking inside your shroud.......

I use te 65% to 70% of fan stuck up inside the shroud with plenty of clearance.

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
It’s hard to believe that something mechanical went wacko with your motorhome between the time you removed the old shroud and installed the new shroud. I haven’t checked the clearance at the upper shroud. I know there isn’t much clearance on the lower shroud but it does clear.
Just measured lower clearance on mine. A bit less then 1/4 ". Sides have >3/4". Couldn't get to the top.. today. My shroud is still original and patched up. I notice a fair amount of flex along the sides of the shroud.

I'd be guessing, but I believe clearance may actually increase at bottom as fan sucks hard and pull the sides inward a small amount. The bottom is solidly attached to the bottom radiator mount in 3 places.

Marty

Tags
fan