Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just had 6 new tires installed this AM, the old ones were dated 2002,, and were beginning to show minor cracking. The treads were perfect regarding tire wear and alignment. After hearing so much regarding brake wear , I personally checked my rotors and pads and everything is good to go. The total cost for the tires including spin balance, new valves taxes and disposal of old tires was $2738. out the door....BTW I replaced the tires with the original size Michelins 22.5 LRG

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just had 6 new tires installed this AM, the old ones were dated 2002,, and were beginning to show minor cracking. The treads were perfect regarding tire wear and alignment. After hearing so much regarding brake wear , I personally checked my rotors and pads and everything is good to go. The total cost for the tires including spin balance, new valves taxes and disposal of old tires was $2738. out the door....BTW I replaced the tires with the original size Michelins 22.5 LRG

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 11-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
Bud, who did the tire replacement work for you?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gerry, it was Edwards Tire in Wall.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 11-03-2008, 10:42 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I did a big OOps the price was $2378....

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Old 11-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud:
I did a big OOps the price was $2378.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That does sound better.BTW did you go with xrv or xze. I just rpl mine with xze.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What's the diff between these? I have same size, same age xrv's whose small cracks have turned onto big ones. Less than 6800 miles. Spoke to Mich about them when small. Have to be replaced! Any ideas about this?

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I replaced my tires with original specification XRVs about 1 year ago.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What's the diff between these? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You need to check the Michelin website to get ALL the technical differences, but I think you'll find the most noticable difference is the XZEs have 2/32" more tread depth, and I think there is an additional "scuff strip" on the sidewalls, because the XZEs are designed for delivery truck use. Also, the XRVs claim to have "more" UV resistance, and run "cooler" due to less tread. I think either will work well on our chassis, but I went with XRV when I replaced my OE tires at 70,000 miles. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eandy:
What's the diff between these? I have same size, same age xrv's whose small cracks have turned onto big ones. Less than 6800 miles. Spoke to Mich about them when small. Have to be replaced! Any ideas about this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I talked to mich in depth about the two tires. According to them I can run either on my mh. They said the xze's are for trucks and have a stiffer sidewall makeup and could run alittle rougher. I wanted the stronger sidewall so I went with xze's and my ride is the same. The air pressure charts and the weights they can handle are the same. IMO mich is a good choice and provide GREAT cust ser.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eandy:
What's the diff between these? I have same size, same age xrv's whose small cracks have turned onto big ones. Less than 6800 miles. Spoke to Mich about them when small. Have to be replaced! Any ideas about this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just have to butt in here an say that the biggest reason for those cracks is that they don't say Brigestone or Goodyear on them in that order. Especially for the 2002 vintage, which I've observed myself on several coaches. I sold my last coach with 2002 bridgestones and there wasn't a dry crack anywhere on these tires that had been sitting on south florida concrete in the sun with no covers. Granted I replaced (8) 10yr old michelins on my present coach that were in excellent shape also, but they were of the 1997 vintage.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #12

Just had 6 new Michelin XRV's put on, with Equal (my first time trying it). 425/tire was the best I could do. Also flushed brake sys & replaced with DOT 4; R&R differential oil (MAN that stuff's expensive!); Lubed caliper pins/slides. Took pix of rotors---no cracks.

Mega bucks for this mx session.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote