Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #1

My wife and I just returned today from a 2,800 mile trip from St Marys, GA to San Antonio, TX, North to I-40, and Back down I-75. While camping on the Mississippi River at the Tom Sawyer Campground (West Memphis, AK) I noticed deep cracks on the sidewalls of our Michelin XRV tires. My first response was to log onto irv2.com and start searching for information. It didn't take long to realize I needed new tires. The cracks were numerous. About 8-10/32" deep located 1" above the bead where all the load information is stamped onto the tire. While on the forum I noted that several people had experienced the same problem, contacted Michelin and received warranty adjustments. I followed their advice and called the 1-800 number provided by the folks on the forum. Long story short Michelin sent me to their authorized dealer in West Memphis, had the tires inspected and received a new set of 235/ 80R 22.5 Michelin XRVs at a 48% discount. Thanks to the folks on the irv2 forum for pointing me in the right direction. I saved $1020.00 on the tires. By the way the existing tires had 40,500 miles on them and the DOT date code was 0403. Goes to show you it's never too late to call Michelin and ask the question. You might be suprised to find out how well they honor their product. I know I was. By the way Jackie Taylor at Southern Tire Mart was a real pro. If you're ever in West Memphis and need tires give her a call at 733-0100. Thanks again to the fine folk on this forum that have helped me once again.

(& "Tiger" too)
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It has never hurt to call the manufacturer on any product and fuss a bit. Quiet often they will offer something to help a customer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
When I was in Vietnam, I was stationed in the Michelin rubber plantation along the Saigon River. We all took a lot of fire from the rubber trees and the Razorbacks.

It seem ironic that I have Michelin tires on my RV and yes I did replace them one with another set of Michelins.

I guess I have a vested interest in their product.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Quote:
Originally posted by TXiceman:
It has never hurt to call the manufacturer on any product and fuss a bit. Quiet often they will offer something to help a customer. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

ken
I think John's story is becoming the norm for Michelin. The information Michelin is decimating at various rallies is a 10 year life span on the XRV tires. John's 48% price reduction falls in line.

I know lots of RVers will stick with the 7 year rule, but then some people change oil in their GM cars every 3K miles, disregarding the Oil Life Remaining System.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
John, I got the same deal from michelin. Actualy I got buy one get one free. My tires were o3 dated to. Not all companys can or will stand behind their products but micnelin will. Good luck with your tires.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by DriVer:
When I was in Vietnam, I was stationed in the Michelin rubber plantation along the Saigon River. .
Oh, that's where I must know you from. I was there '69-'70, but Saigon was 'off limits' for us and I got a couple article 15's to prove it.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
paz

I also got the same deal from Michelin on 2 tires, except ours were 70% off because only 30% of the original tread was worn.

I called and told Michelin I had cracks in the sidewalls of tires that were less than 4 years old (I think the warranty for premature aging is 5 years). I told Michelin where I was and they gave me the names of a couple of nearby authorized dealers. They took one look at the tires and replaced them with no further questions.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by max49:
I was there '69-'70, but Saigon was 'off limits' for us and I got a couple article 15's to prove it.
I was there at exactly the same time Max. I used to have business in Saigon so I often went there. I was young, empowered and I had money. What a life. We'll never see those days again.

Can you believe that me being French speaking, that I acted as an interpreter with the Michelin plantation owner and our Brigade HQ.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #9

Don’t try getting any mercy from Michelin in the San Diego area.. The area rep took almost a month to look at my tire and declined any assistance. My tire was manufactured in 03 for my 04 motorhome. They said the clock starts at time of manufacture. My tires were over 4 years old with less than 20,000 miles. I replaced five of the six for two grand. I didn’t replace all six one because one had already been replaced when it blew out. I assumed it had hit road debris and didn’t even try to get an adjustment, They did offer some advice. They told me to keep them out of the sun.

8.1 Chevy w/Banks PowerPack & UltraPower
Bear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Max, I was there in 67 - 69, I was an MP, hope it wasn't me you meant. We went after a lot of military personal in Siagon.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:06 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
"I was there at exactly the same time Max. I used to have business in Saigon so I often went there. I was young, empowered and I had money. What a life. We'll never see those days again"

I had business doing overnight trips to Bien Wau and Long Bien and instead of spending the night in a transit barracks, I'd visit some of the posh 'cat houses' in Saigon.
Until Yosemite Bob or his colleagues gave me a speeding ticket for going 35 MPH in a 30 zone.
My company did'nt much care about the '5 over' except it let them know where I was, with their low boy tank transport truck.
Cost me a stripe and 1/2 my pay for 2 months
Thanks alot, Yosemite Bob

I still have'nt figured out why Saigon was OK for GI's stationed there on vacation but was 'off limits' to every body else. Guess they did'nt want us fishin in their pond.
And the 10TH Engineers (I think, blue & white checkered square) Badge on my shoulder was a dead giveaway.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #12

michelin is a good tire company and has always taken care of me. dont think i'd ever buy another brand. now if someone could make a tire that goes more than 8-10k miles on a harley id be set
UltraClassicElectraGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad to see this topic again. When this came up years ago, I checked my tires and called Michelin upon seeing a good number of small cracks. Wastold not to be worried yet. Now they are long cracks and I'm worried. The motorhome only has 6700 mi.on a 03' chassis. Won't be putting it on the road again until June. Will not be satisfied to pay anything towards replacement.
Should I call them now or wait till June? Have been satisfied with the tires otherwise but cracking sidewalls will never be acceptable. Is there another brand that does not have this fault?

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by eandy:
The motorhome only has 6700 mi.on a 03' chassis....Will not be satisfied to pay anything towards replacement....Have been satisfied with the tires otherwise but cracking sidewalls will never be acceptable. Is there another brand that does not have this fault?
You might want to read THIS.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote