Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #1

Just returned from picking up our new MH. 2005 on w22 chassis. I have a Honda Accord in tow. Pulling a fairly good grade, (the Nancy Green - Paulson in BC ) when near the top the coach seemed to coast for a few seconds then start pulling again. I was in first I believe. This happpened a few times but when I made the top no more problems. After I arrived home, I dropped the Honda and after starting the MH, put in gear and touched the accelerator and it shook for a few feet while it picked up speed then stopped. I also heard the exhaust like it was missing. Anyone have any suggestions?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #2

Just returned from picking up our new MH. 2005 on w22 chassis. I have a Honda Accord in tow. Pulling a fairly good grade, (the Nancy Green - Paulson in BC ) when near the top the coach seemed to coast for a few seconds then start pulling again. I was in first I believe. This happpened a few times but when I made the top no more problems. After I arrived home, I dropped the Honda and after starting the MH, put in gear and touched the accelerator and it shook for a few feet while it picked up speed then stopped. I also heard the exhaust like it was missing. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New motorhome - take it back to the dealer and find out what's wrong - while it's under warrenty.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Pulling a fairly good grade, (the Nancy Green - Paulson in BC ) when near the top the coach seemed to coast for a few seconds then start pulling again. I was in first I believe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How fast were you going in first gear? You should not really have to go to first even towing. Did you get a shift inhibit light? As for the second question, was it raining where you were? If so sounds like you might have gotten some water in the intake. If not then I would be taking it back with your complaints.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:10 PM   #5

It was not raining and roads were dry. I may have not been in first and was only going about 35 mph. I did not get any lights. Had not paid attention to gear or tach but I believe I was up to around 4500 rpm. I would not have to go back to dealer as they would have work authorized by locals. Just wondering what to expect. There was nothing abnormable about the way it ran except for the shudder and missing sound from exhuast when I got home which was about 40 miles later
Old 04-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
MY MONEY IS ON SPARK PLUG WIRES

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll need 1st gear on a lot on mtn. passes in Co.
You had to have been in first if you were doing 35 MPH and 4500 RPM
Check your tach next time, I've never had it happen but I'm sure there is a engine "cut out" at a certain RPM. 4500 sounds pretty high, I think.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #8

I wish I could give more info but I was so taken in with the power of the workhorse over my 03 Ford I was just not really paying attention. It seemed to me that I was getting close to maxing out the rpm and it was shutting down. Then it ran fine until what I think was a low rpm miss. Once the rpm got up to 2000 it ran fine again. Never the less, I am impressed with the workhorse and I am sure this is not a serious problem. I will talk to dealer tomorrow and see what he has to offer, which I know will be acceptable to me. The problem here in Western Canada is Workhorse Service Centers are far and few between but there are alternate centers withing 10 miles of my home. Thanks to all that replied.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have your ECM learning your driving habits changing from who ever drove it before you. Once it has you figured out it may settle down to a much improved player. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:33 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Westies, seriously, ck your #5 & 7 plug wires. Mine shows the same symptoms as yours when they burn through. I know, it's happened 4 times on my coach. It's easy to ck. Sometimes it's a simple thing.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #11

Not sure if you had the cruise control on or not. But if on. It will down shift lower than needed. I only use my cruise control in the flat lands.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #12

My Number one Mechanic who has been approved by dealer to do repairs came to my home and looked at MH this afternoon. Number 5 wire had end burnt right off and number 7 did not look healthy but still had end intact. Has advised to put on full set of Delco heavy duty SILICONE wires or same problem again shortly if standard wires go on. Told him put the good ones on and I will pay the difference if I have to. He said if good ones burn he will replace free. Thanks to everyone.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:15 AM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Your welcome Westies for the spot on diagnosis. But I hate to tell ya the heavy duty wires will not correct the problem. After this happens several more times WH will approve a cold air intake for the wires, ask yer WH mechanic about it. Also, carry an extra set of wires so when they do burn you can change them out and not have to run on one or two dead cylinders for who knows how long, like I had to do.

Old 06-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #14

Having had the wires replaced 3 times Workhose installed the air duct system.Just took a 1800 mile trip and so far no problem.Here's hoping.
BARRY6O
Barry60 is offline   Reply With Quote