RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #1

Cool Newbie With lots of future questions

Hello all, we just got our first class a. Four Winds Windsport 35í on a Workhorse chassis with an Allison 5 speed. Doing a lot of preventative maintenance right now. XMSN fluid and filter along with differential oil change this weekend. Engine oil and filter, generator oil and filter along with generator fuel filter done already. Anyone with any info on engine fuel filter, spark plugs and wires change out. Any info on what else I need to do right away. Thanks

Rolling-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 03:34 PM   #2

Welcome to the fourm. Don't have a Workhorse so no help but I would recommend a shop/chassis manual. Sounds like your going over everything well enough. Good luck and drive safe.

MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:07 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new rig.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good information to share.

Good luck on the updates and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! If you run out of things to do you can change the air in the tires!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:07 PM   #5

A quick rundown on your questions, fuel filter is inside the frame rail on the passenger side just forward of the rear wheels, you will need to check to see what type of fuel filter you have, some used a now discontinued fuel filter with a 3rd return flow connector, there is an adapter kit available to allow these to work with current production filters.

The best advice out there on spark plugs is us 41-101 Irridium spark plugs and to regap to .045 from the original .060 The problem is over time .060 will erode out too much and cause ignition problems after 20,000 or so miles.

Also some 8.1L engine coaches lack ventilation over the top of the engine and tend to burn up spark plug wires, if your coach design does this, the best bet is to buy Brazel's / Ultra RV's Magnum Extreme spark plug wires they are expensive, but they will not burn up like other "high performance" wires do. I switched to Magnum Extremes after burning out 2 sets of $140 Taylor Xtreme plug wires and have not had an issue since.

While your at it on the fluids you probably want to flush and refill your power steering fluid, on the 8.1L this also powers the brake booster, also there is a spin on filter inside the power steering fluid reservoir.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:36 AM   #6

Thanks to all

Thanks to all for the warm welcome to this forum. A special thanks to Issac for the info and recommendations. This is exactly what I needed and will be following up with. Thanks again!
Rolling-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 07:18 AM   #7

Newbie With lots of future questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
A quick rundown on your questions, fuel filter is inside the frame rail on the passenger side just forward of the rear wheels, you will need to check to see what type of fuel filter you have, some used a now discontinued fuel filter with a 3rd return flow connector, there is an adapter kit available to allow these to work with current production filters.

The best advice out there on spark plugs is us 41-101 Irridium spark plugs and to regap to .045 from the original .060 The problem is over time .060 will erode out too much and cause ignition problems after 20,000 or so miles.

Also some 8.1L engine coaches lack ventilation over the top of the engine and tend to burn up spark plug wires, if your coach design does this, the best bet is to buy Brazel's / Ultra RV's Magnum Extreme spark plug wires they are expensive, but they will not burn up like other "high performance" wires do. I switched to Magnum Extremes after burning out 2 sets of $140 Taylor Xtreme plug wires and have not had an issue since.

While your at it on the fluids you probably want to flush and refill your power steering fluid, on the 8.1L this also powers the brake booster, also there is a spin on filter inside the power steering fluid reservoir.

Agree with the recommendations, saved me some typing

I installed the Ultra RV Magnum wires, they are expensive but well worth it. I did my power steering fluid and filter last year, but only emptied the reservoir under the hood. This year I replaced the reservoir fluid again (not the filter). Probably do it again next year. This will help freshen the fluids and it is a relatively simple effort (some body contortions required). Each time you empty the reservoir it is approximately 2 quarts. Kevin did a video on replacing the fluid. I didnít do mine using his approach, but I did use the same fluid. His video is well worth watching. Advance Auto has the fluid in gallons.

There are two different adapter kits for the fuel filter, I liked the stainless billet one and used that when I changed my filter over.

Do you have the W24 chassis? If so, I would have some other recommendations.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #8

Lots of good suggestions posted so far. I will add. Buy yourself a good Scangauge and use it all the time. Learn and understand all of the information the engine ECU is doing and be able to respond when something drifts out of whack.

PS. Clean the Mass Airflow Sensor as soon as possible. A clean MAF and paying attention to fuel trims and several other parameters is the key to long life with the 8.1.

AKIQPilot is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags