Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #15

Sticking brakes have shown up in the Workhorse forum a few times before. It looks like the NTSA may be looking into it as a possible problem.

Any brake system can have problems when a rig is not driven often. When they sit, rust can build up on places that slide. Thus they stick and cause problems.

I know without a shadow of a doubt that NO ONE associated with this forum would EVER try to hide or withhold information that would in any way put folk's safety at risk!

I also know the Workhorse "Ambassadors"¯ that post often and are active on the forum personally. I have never to this day observed them doing anything but trying to help folks. I also have been told (When talking in person) that they have felt they sometimes feel "Under a microscope"¯ with some posts. Shoot they have to "Walk the fine line"¯ to make sure they keep their activities here separate from their business activities. In my opinion they do a fine job of it.

IRV2 was founded on the "Thoughtful exchange if information to help RV'rs"¯ principal. That is how it started, that is how it is and that is how it will remain. Bob or Bill may chime in to reiterate what I am posting later.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike-

Thank you for this information. We take our rig all over, invariably going over mountain passes. I worry enough about the brakes. Since we live in San Diego and the unit is stored close to the water, then perhaps if rust is a factor, my brakes are more prone to this hang up problem.

Currently the coach is at Beaudry in San Marcos. I am completely satisified with Beaudry, however, I do not expect them to know everything about the chassis. The coach is 2.5 years in service with 19k miles. For pm on the brakes I am having the fluid flushed, it is all I knew to do. I will discuss the points you have made with my service writer.

If they are capable/willing to install the zerk fitings, is this something I can maintain on my own; no wheel removal? I service the unit myself, lube / oil changes.

Again, thank you for this information.

~Dave

W-20 Workhorse
surfride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:50 AM   #17
Official iRV2 Sponsor

It sould be taken in for the Zerk fitting.If it were me I would take it to Redlands RV Performance right up the 15 from where you are.They will take care of everything & Keith will make sure it is done right!
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As has been stated many times, PLEASE register at Workhorse.com so you can check on your motorhome status and see if any campaigns are open.

As to the Zerk fitting --- this is covered in the Chassis Guide that DriVer has posted a link to download, and the issue has been discussed in detail here. It is located on the verticle shaft under the hood on the drivers side. It is part of the linkage on the brake pedal system.

You can discount my comments if you desire, but I posted the NHTSA article in whole, so as to get the information out. Until I saw the post on RVNET, I was not aware of this issue.

I called DriVer at his vacation location to see if he had any info, and he too was unaware of this.

We try to inform as best we can, as we too are on the road.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #19
Administrator Emeritus

Gentlemen, Workhorse Custom Chassis is a sponsor of this website, just as Winnebago,SMI, and many other companies.

I can assure you, as co-owner of this site,that Workhorse Custom Chassis has no editorial input into the posts on this site,nor do any of their Ambassadors do anything other than try to help our Workhorse owning members with issues regarding their chassis.
Anything that is posted to the contrary is simply not a statement of fact.

The Workhorse Ambassadors that post here receive NO compensation or consideration from iRV2 and as such they post here as volunteer members, just like yourself.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Her's a link to prior post here on this zerk fitting ---

Zerk

Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MikeT:
As to the Zerk fitting --- this is covered in the Chassis Guide that DriVer has posted a link to download, and the issue has been discussed in detail here. It is located on the veerticle shaft under the hood on the drivers side. It is part of the linkage on the brake pedal system.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info....my '06 chassis already has the zerk fitting from the factory, if that is the one that Mike B. and Mike T are talking about.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:16 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's the fitting ---- it's on the newer units ---it was added to units as of May 17, 2004, Vin 43394330 and later. This is on pg. 70 of the Chassis Guide. I again strongly recommend you all download a copy of this Guide and READ it. It has very valuable information in it.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:24 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
FrontRanger---

Are these zerks accessible w/out removing the wheels? Is this an acceptable maintenance plan to simply shoot grease in there every 3-5k miles?

My service writer says there is nothing recommended by WH for the brakes at this time... Is there a reference I can give him?

Thanks,

~Dave

W-20 Workhorse
Old 09-05-2007, 07:27 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please read the posts --- it is under the hood and is on pg 70 of the Workhorse Chassis guide. I've posted two pix of the shaft and fitting --
Old 09-05-2007, 07:29 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Perhaps your service center needs to call Workhorse TAC, or Redlands or Brazell's as they are aware of this ---
Old 09-05-2007, 07:30 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I believe that he s talking about the grease Zerk added to the brake bell crank. Before this Zerk was added the brake would not release completely and the brakes would drag. Some places added a spring to aid the return of the brake pedal. I don't believe it was a recall but most WHSC's would install it if you complained about the brake pedal not returning 100%. I added the Zerk myself.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:31 AM   #27

As I understand it , the only financial assistance the Ambassadors receive is reimbursment of their expenses while representing Workhorse. This is far from being on their payroll. If I have to disregard the advice of these guys, I am in a world of hurt. There is just not many places in the RV community to go and get the right answer. Even if they were paid handsomely, I would still go with their advice.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I am confused about the zerk. I re-read Mike's comment about adding the zerk to the tube, I already have that. This about Brake calipers not riding on their pins properly, not that thinga-ma-jig brake linkage under the hood. I thought Mike was saying there is a fitting that can be put onto the calipers. Perhaps someone at wh's 800 number can help.

W-20 Workhorse