Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2007, 05:20 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
I visited local WH Service center in Sioux Falls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Would that be Truck Center on Harlem? Great place in my opinion.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pubtym:
I visited local WH Service center in Sioux Falls. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Would that be Truck Center on Harlem? Great place in my opinion. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes..that's the shop. They specialize in chassis and drivetrain repair. They do my LOF service too.

And...if you are in the Sioux Falls area..I found another top notch very reasonable shop for motorhome tires and wheels. I have my rotations, balance and wheel retorques there. It's "Allied Oil and Supply Inc." just off I-90 southbound on Hwy 115.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:59 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
After e-mail exchange yesterday with WH Tech Support, I visited local WH Service center in Sioux Falls. Interesting enough, manager recently worked a similar problem with another 2006 Itasca. He is completing forms for WH so as to begin trouble shoot. More to follow.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Update: Driveline tech at Sioux falls WH Service Center took my rig for drive on Interstate and duplicated "abnormal noise level from differential". All rigging of driveshafts and carrier bearings confirmed to be within specs. Center...with WH approval.. is ordering new gear-guts assembly from Dana for differential and will swap out. More to follow.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pubtyme said All rigging of driveshafts and carrier bearings confirmed to be within specs. Center...with WH approval.. is ordering new gear-guts assembly from Dana for differential and will swap out. More to follow.[/quote]
Thats why I was asking you in your previous post to try to duplicate the noise in different gears to isolate the tranny action from the diff. It took a new complete differential center section (3rd member) to quiet my 04 W20, after argueing with my local dealer re: driveshaft angles, u joint angles etc.. 25000 miles later all is well back there...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:50 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rgrstndgby:
Pubtyme said All rigging of driveshafts and carrier bearings confirmed to be within specs. Center...with WH approval.. is ordering new gear-guts assembly from Dana for differential and will swap out. More to follow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats why I was asking you in your previous post to try to duplicate the noise in different gears to isolate the tranny action from the diff. It took a new complete differential center section (3rd member) to quiet my 04 W20, after argueing with my local dealer re: driveshaft angles, u joint angles etc.. 25000 miles later all is well back there...rgr...[/QUOTE]

Update: It is my understanding, that after WH Regional rep coordination with Dana about the problem, the following is known:

1. 2006 Dana diffs have had some 3rd member problems. (Incidentally, Dana filed for Chapter 11.)

2. Replacement of 3rd member Dana parts have not been 100% successful.

3. Dana has requested the 3rd member parts be pulled and inspected for "abnormal wear". If gear/axle parts appear OK, then the 3rd member will be "reset" and and diff reserviced for retest on the road. If gears are not OK...???

4. My rig should be worked as per Dana, WH, and WH Service Center March 1 & 2.

More to follow&gt;&gt;&gt;
Old 02-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Update: Open Differential surgery today on third member gear assembly. First major problem...lots of metal gear grindings in the bottom sump. WH has ordered a complete new 3rd member gear assembly from Dana for WH Service Center installation. More next week. I wonder how many other bad Dana "howling diffs" are out there.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:54 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Update: Open Differential surgery today on third member gear assembly. First major problem...lots of metal gear grindings in the bottom sump. WH has ordered a complete new 3rd member gear assembly from Dana for WH Service Center installation. More next week. I wonder how many other bad Dana "howling diffs" are out there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

End of Story: Picked up MH after Workhorse Service Center here in Sioux Falls had completey replaced the 3rd gear assembly in the original Workhorse (2006 Model) Dana differential. What a difference!!! Very quiet...as it should be at all speeds. I also had a chance to see the old diff still in the shop awaiting return shipment to WH. I saw the large slivers being ground off the gears by the missaligned gears in the assembly. I saw the increasing feathering damage on gear tooth edges as a result of the defective assembly process.
I'm now a very happy camper.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Somehow I missed this post in my continuing vibration problem at 45-65mph. Even had a EVA done by Workhorse auth. dealer who found part of the problem to be coach related. After talking with Mike Brazel and taking it to Echols in Phx, third member is bad. Backlash or pinon clearance (one or other) is bad with about 30 deg of back and forth in driveline. Appears there is a rash of this according to them in late 03 and 04. Work start next week. Lucky still under warranty.