Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, like someone mentioned in another thread, you solve one noise problem and you then hear a dozen more.

I had a vibration in the front end that was bad from 65 to 72 MPH, so I avoided those speeds.

With new shocks and Equal in the front tires, no vibs, so into the 70 range I go. I notice a hum, and mild vibs from 68 to 71. It goes away when I come off the throttle. Back on the throttle and it's back if in the speed range of 68 to 71 MPH. It stays even if I down shift out of 5th gear, so I think it is rear of the tranny. It is definatly louder if under a load, like a slight incline.

Drive shaft, U joints? Is it normal, maybe a resonant range. Anyone else notice the same thing?
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, like someone mentioned in another thread, you solve one noise problem and you then hear a dozen more.

I had a vibration in the front end that was bad from 65 to 72 MPH, so I avoided those speeds.

With new shocks and Equal in the front tires, no vibs, so into the 70 range I go. I notice a hum, and mild vibs from 68 to 71. It goes away when I come off the throttle. Back on the throttle and it's back if in the speed range of 68 to 71 MPH. It stays even if I down shift out of 5th gear, so I think it is rear of the tranny. It is definatly louder if under a load, like a slight incline.

Drive shaft, U joints? Is it normal, maybe a resonant range. Anyone else notice the same thing?
Old 03-19-2004, 01:07 AM   #3

I have not noticed this on ours, however it could be tire noise, or perhaps the rear diff. needs an adjustment?

2005 Winnebago Minnie 26A
clipperbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 747Driver:
Is it normal, maybe a resonant range. Anyone else notice the same thing? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I would have a tendency to agree with your estimation of the situation about some kind of resonant harmonic. Just an out of the box question; How is the air pressures on all 6 tires, OK?

I don't have that much of a problem with noises.
<span class="ev_code_GREEN">If the little noises get too loud, I just turn up the Stereo</span>!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:05 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 747Driver:

Drive shaft, U joints? Is it normal, maybe a resonant range. Anyone else notice the same thing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 2006 Itasca with 12000 miles. In OD..at 62-65 mph..I hear a noticeable whine-howl with the tranny under load. When I back off on the load...it disappears.

I read in the Workhorse Owners Manual/Section 4/Service Information Quote:

"NOTICE: The rear axle of your vehicle has several large turning gears that can emit resonating noises which may be a normal operating characteristic, depending on vehicle load or vehicle speed."
Old 02-11-2007, 06:42 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you get it while on the gas and don't hear it when you back off, it probably is in the differential. Om my F-150 I have that too and a mechanic told me he could shim the bearing, (whatever that means), but it would'nt hurt any thing if I could live with it the way it is.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #7
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Just for Duck's,try and shim the driveshaft angle down at the carrier bearing.Loosen the two bolts and install some washers above the mounting surface.Sometimes changing the angle will cancel that noise out
Old 02-12-2007, 03:50 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:

Just for Duck's,try and shim the driveshaft angle down at the carrier bearing.Loosen the two bolts and install some washers above the mounting surface.Sometimes changing the angle will cancel that noise out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like an easy fix, I'll give it a try...thanks.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brazels RV Performance:

Just for Duck's,try and shim the driveshaft angle down at the carrier bearing.Loosen the two bolts and install some washers above the mounting surface.Sometimes changing the angle will cancel that noise out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Place a couple of thin fender type washers on/over the bolts so the mount surface/chassis frame piece holding the carrier bearing is slightly further away from the mounting bracket??? Is this correct?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 747Driver:

That sounds like an easy fix, I'll give it a try...thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let us know the results. Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
This is something that should be done by a good driveline shop with the proper equipment to make the measurements. You can cause more problems than you cure without the proper measurements. It would be OK to do it as a test to see if the vibration goes away. If it doesn't, take the shims out. If it does, take the shims out and take it to a driveline shop to have it aligned properly.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Well said FullTimers!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:54 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
This is something that should be done by a good driveline shop with the proper equipment to make the measurements. You can cause more problems than you cure without the proper measurements. It would be OK to do it as a test to see if the vibration goes away. If it doesn't, take the shims out. If it does, take the shims out and take it to a driveline shop to have it aligned properly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agree. Found this info yesterday.
http://www.differentials.com/diagnose.html

I also have emailed WH tech support to see what they say on how they recommend I proceed.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
After e-mail exchange yesterday with WH Tech Support, I visited local WH Service center in Sioux Falls. Interesting enough, manager recently worked a similar problem with another 2006 Itasca. He is completing forms for WH so as to begin trouble shoot. More to follow..