Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No brake lights

I have read previous threads concerning this issue of no brake lights but...I am still fuzzy on some points. 2003 itasca on workhorse chassis. I have checked bulbs, fuses, traced all electrical lines. The only brake light that works is the small strip light half way up motor home an it appears to have its own dedicated electrical line. Is this a safety issue, is that why it works when the regular brake lights do not. There are two brake switches at pedal location, is one for brakes and the other tied into the cruise cont.? I am at loss as to why the small strip brake light works and the main brake lights do not. Gale
galeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #2

Since the lights are provided and installed by WBGO , it is possible they third brake light ( center ) is wired on a different circuit than the left and right brake lights. Have you checked the fuse ( s ) and do all three light up when your headlights are on but not when pressing brakes? That should tell if the fuse is blown or if you may just have bad bulbs with burnt out brake filaments. Also it may help you get better answers if you include which chassis you have- p32 or W series.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:03 AM   #3

Yes the CHIMSL ( Center HIgh Mounted Stop Light ) is a dedicated circuit to the rear of the coach.
The power flow, from the brake light switch for the regular brake lights themselves, runs through the turn signal switch , and problems in the switch can cause issues like yours.
There will be a multiple wire connector at the base of the steering column, that needs to be tested , for power to the T/S switch from the brake light switch, then tested for power out of the switch to the wires that run to the rear of the coach.
Should be an eight wire connector.
1- horn relay ground
2- brake light switch power
3- turn signal flasher power
4- emergency flasher power
5- LF signal bulb feed
6- RF signal bulb feed
7- LR signal/brake bulb feed
8- RR signal/brake bulb feed
Old 05-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
could the problem also be a bad brake switch, or because the strip light works, that rules that out. Gale
galeran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by galeran View Post
I have read previous threads concerning this issue of no brake lights but...I am still fuzzy on some points. 2003 itasca on workhorse chassis. I have checked bulbs, fuses, traced all electrical lines. The only brake light that works is the small strip light half way up motor home an it appears to have its own dedicated electrical line. Is this a safety issue, is that why it works when the regular brake lights do not. There are two brake switches at pedal location, is one for brakes and the other tied into the cruise cont.? I am at loss as to why the small strip brake light works and the main brake lights do not. Gale
First check both brake switches. Yes, one is for the brake lights, the other is for the computer, which controls the cruise control and center brake light. 2nd, check the ground for the brake lights under a load with several light bulbs, not just an ohm meter. 3rd, follow your wiring loom back up your frame, some times where the manufacturer 2 light circuits are connected to the chassis wireing will have a corroded connector. Last, look at your turn signals. With European style turns signals, the brake conductors do not run through your turn signal switch. However, with American style, they do, an your turn signal switch will cause them to fail if the switch has failed. Lastly, do your emergency flashers (EF) make your brake lights flash? If so then check your flasher and it's fuse.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Brake lights out

If you're of a mind to, or just to give to your repair tech go to:
file:///C:/Users/j/Documents/RV%20Manuals/Workhorse%20Technical%20Info.htm

Once there you might find wiring diagrams for your application. And, don't give up- the electrical schematics are way down the page.

I have a 2002 Workhorse chassis and the outer brake lights failed intermittently and yet, never when the coach was at the shop. The inner set of brakes lights and the third set also still worked.

Hours of troubleshooting in between the events of working and then failing to work yielded what's been said- the turn signal switch was the problem but did it did not fail completely and did not fail all the time.

Yes, check the 4-way flashers. When my brakes were in failed mode the 4-way flashers stayed on solid. Sometimes, but not always, the cruise control also failed.
Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, brake lights, brake