Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #1

Coach is a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star on Workhorse W22 chassis with 8.1L GM engine.
After finally getting air intake repairs to prevent water absorption clogging the air filter, my attempt to leave home Saturday ended after only 20 miles. The oils had just been changed and the engine run almost daily while parked in my yard in cold (Zero lows to 22 highs). All seemed OK and as we drove out of town, the oil pressure alarm went off. Readout showed 0, then ran up to 65PSI. Thought perhaps there was a defective oil filter, so I went to NAPA and got a replacement. Started up and engine pressure up to 65PSI and stable.
Left town and within 15 minutes pressure again became erratic. Finally went to zero and stayed there. While the engine seemed fine, and no change in water temp or way it performed, I decided it was best to pull off and not drive it.
After a couple of hours, Workhorse had a tow truck there and towed me the 20 miles back to my home...option was to tow to an unused lot or WalMart lot for the weekend, then get towed to a WH service center on Monday. I figured it was safer having my fully loaded rig next to my house and plugged into power than sitting abandoned at a WalMart.
Not sure what is going on, but suspect the cold has had some sort of impact upon the pressure sensor gauge rather than a failed oil pump...but time will tell.
Unfortunate that Monday and Tuesday are forcast to be snow, ice and more snow and ice for 100 miles around my location. Not sure if WH will be able to get me to a repair center and repairs made quickly, but I was so looking forward to being in Florida today and not a week from today.
KTYSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2007, 09:05 AM   #2

Coach is a 2005 Newmar Kountry Star on Workhorse W22 chassis with 8.1L GM engine.
After finally getting air intake repairs to prevent water absorption clogging the air filter, my attempt to leave home Saturday ended after only 20 miles. The oils had just been changed and the engine run almost daily while parked in my yard in cold (Zero lows to 22 highs). All seemed OK and as we drove out of town, the oil pressure alarm went off. Readout showed 0, then ran up to 65PSI. Thought perhaps there was a defective oil filter, so I went to NAPA and got a replacement. Started up and engine pressure up to 65PSI and stable.
Left town and within 15 minutes pressure again became erratic. Finally went to zero and stayed there. While the engine seemed fine, and no change in water temp or way it performed, I decided it was best to pull off and not drive it.
After a couple of hours, Workhorse had a tow truck there and towed me the 20 miles back to my home...option was to tow to an unused lot or WalMart lot for the weekend, then get towed to a WH service center on Monday. I figured it was safer having my fully loaded rig next to my house and plugged into power than sitting abandoned at a WalMart.
Not sure what is going on, but suspect the cold has had some sort of impact upon the pressure sensor gauge rather than a failed oil pump...but time will tell.
Unfortunate that Monday and Tuesday are forcast to be snow, ice and more snow and ice for 100 miles around my location. Not sure if WH will be able to get me to a repair center and repairs made quickly, but I was so looking forward to being in Florida today and not a week from today.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:44 AM   #3

Sustained cold weather can really play heck on these units. Remember that the preasure sensor in most cases is not a flow type device but preasure in only. I suspect that some old thick oil had really got stuffed up in the intake and just not letting it do its job. This should be a pretty easy fix. Hope that may be all it is. JMHO

David
Toterman (David) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #4

At least the oil pressure switch (if that's the root cause of the problem) is easy to identify and get at. It's screwed into the top of the cyl block behind the intake manifold/EGR plumbing where it's been on all GM engines for as long as I can remember.

Hopefully it's something simple, like the wire connector came off of the switch terminal. If not, any O'Reilly'sNAPAAdvancedAutoPepBoysZone should be able to match up the switch for you.
Mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:23 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I drove a Chev delivery truck some this past summer which had the 8.1L engine. It developed the same exact problem and it was the oil pressure sending unit (sensor).

Like your experence, there was no strange noise so we drove it until the dealer could replace the sending unit.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:09 AM   #6

Confirmation of the sending unit being the fault. Coach at workhorse repair center (Boerman Chevrolet in Poseyville, IN) awaiting part. FedEx overnight did not make it in due to weather...O'Hare airport shut down. Maybe tomorrow?...or Thursday.
Don't really want to drive anywhere in the snow and ice storm going through the IL / IN area anyway.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:18 AM   #7

UPDATE:
Just got a call from Boerman Chevrolet telling me the part had come in this morning, and coach is ready. When I talked to them about 9AM they did not yet have the part, so I figured it would be Thursday before the coach would be ready.
Boerman parts manager Hank Edwrds has been great checking on the delivery and keeping me informed. But he sure surprised me when he called to say the coach is ready.
Given the weather conditions the past two days in the IL/IN area, Workhorse, FedEX and Boerman have given me remarkable service. So early tomorrow, its off to Florida and some warmer weather!!!
Old 02-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KTYSTR:
So early tomorrow, its off to Florida and some warmer weather!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Have a great trip. The cold weather will be following you down so don't be too surprised when you're looking at temps in the 20s all the way into Florida.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote