Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #1

We have a 2005 Georgie Boy Landau 34' (gas engine) on a Workhorse chassis W20 that was a year old in August. While driving the coach pulling an auto on a dolly in Gatlinburg Tenn. at night a car pulled up beside our unit and the driver told us that we had NO lights on the rear of the coach. We pulled into a parking lot and checked. We have turn signals, brake lights, warning flashers and back-up lights. But we have absolutely no tail lights or clearance lights (3 small lights on top rear of unit). All of the front running lights and clearance lights work including the side clearance lights. I checked the fuses under the dash and even switched them out to be sure they were all good. I checked under the hood and found an electrical box with switches, fuses and solenoids but no fuses appear to be blown. The towed had exactly the same lights working and not working that the coach had. We also learned that the Honda Oddesy van being towed will shut off it's own lights if left on within a few minutes. We had to start the towed Honda and let it run so the lights would stay on until we could get to the campground in the Smokies.

I have talked to the service representative at Georgie Boy and he is unsure what the problem is and he is contacting a service person at Workhorse to see if they have any idea.

On this same trip out dash blower would not operate at the same set speed whether on air conditioner or set to vent (if turned to the high position it would run on high for a few minutes then slow down for several minutes, then back up again). It never did shut off, just fast and slow output on its own.

One last thing was that the two Big Foot leveling jacks in the rear of the coach would only come down a few inches but not touch the ground. The two front jacks worked just fine.

Can anyone provide me with information on what may be causing any of these problems. We have never had any difficulty with these areas in the past year.
dcoff12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 AM   #2

We have a 2005 Georgie Boy Landau 34' (gas engine) on a Workhorse chassis W20 that was a year old in August. While driving the coach pulling an auto on a dolly in Gatlinburg Tenn. at night a car pulled up beside our unit and the driver told us that we had NO lights on the rear of the coach. We pulled into a parking lot and checked. We have turn signals, brake lights, warning flashers and back-up lights. But we have absolutely no tail lights or clearance lights (3 small lights on top rear of unit). All of the front running lights and clearance lights work including the side clearance lights. I checked the fuses under the dash and even switched them out to be sure they were all good. I checked under the hood and found an electrical box with switches, fuses and solenoids but no fuses appear to be blown. The towed had exactly the same lights working and not working that the coach had. We also learned that the Honda Oddesy van being towed will shut off it's own lights if left on within a few minutes. We had to start the towed Honda and let it run so the lights would stay on until we could get to the campground in the Smokies.

I have talked to the service representative at Georgie Boy and he is unsure what the problem is and he is contacting a service person at Workhorse to see if they have any idea.

On this same trip out dash blower would not operate at the same set speed whether on air conditioner or set to vent (if turned to the high position it would run on high for a few minutes then slow down for several minutes, then back up again). It never did shut off, just fast and slow output on its own.

One last thing was that the two Big Foot leveling jacks in the rear of the coach would only come down a few inches but not touch the ground. The two front jacks worked just fine.

Can anyone provide me with information on what may be causing any of these problems. We have never had any difficulty with these areas in the past year.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Has anyone opened the hitch plugs and hitch outlet to see if you have a loose wire in them maybe a ground wire.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #4

"007"

The hitch plug is a 4 way molded rubber plug (wires are molded into the actual plug).

This is a factory installed plug also and I have checked under the rear of the coach where the plug is spliced into the main lines. A short distance from the splice are 2 electrical connectors (plug type) where the main electric line appears to have been divided into an electrical harness to reach from the front of the coach to the rear at the factory. I plan on unpluging these and testing for 12 volt current being passed through in hopes of tracing from the rear to the front of the coach. I have not been able to find these same lines in the front of the coach yet.

One of these plugs has 7 wires I think and the other has only 1 wire eventhough it has the capacity for 4 wires.

I know someone out there has some knowledge about this type of situation and I sure would appreciate hearing from them.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
on my workhorse chassis there are 3 fuse panels .1 under the dash and 2 under the hood .there is a large one on the right front of the hood opening,there is another one tho smaller about 10 to 12 inches above it. thats where my running and brake lites are fused. I have a 2005 32v southwind on a W20 chassis. hopes this helps.
Mabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #6

Locate and replace fuse for REAR PARKING LIGHTS.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:50 AM   #7

Mabry & T&W

I appreciate your help. You are correct there is a second fuse box under the hood and there was a blown fuse for the tail lights. This fuse box on my unit has a cover with a sticker WARNING that it contains toxic material to humans and the environment. Therefore I had no idea what was in it. I finally decided to remove the cover to see for myself and it was the fuse box. Now why didn't they also add a label for "FUSE BOX"?

Well that takes care of the main problem so now I can start checking the dash blower/switch and the two rear Big Foot leveling jacks.

Again many thanks for your suggestions Mabry and T&W

Dennis
Old 10-31-2007, 03:32 PM   #8

I have had the same tailight problem with my 2004 Georgie Boy Cruisemaster. Only seems to happen when I have a toad or trailer and only after the lights have been on for a while. The factory fuse on mine is only 5 amps. I think the extra draw of the trailer/toad lights must make it blow. I am looking into rewiring the way my trailer/toad gets its power. The factory way obviously isnt working.

Sorry I cannot help with your other problems. Just wanted you to know you were not alone and chances are it can happen again.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:42 PM   #9

Sraab928. You should certainly be able to go to a 15 amp fuse with the addition of tow lights.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:25 AM   #10

To get home from Florida last July we had to use a 10 amp as that was all I had left in my spares kit. It lasted the rest of the way home. I do get a bit concerned about upping fuse sizes though - its generally been told to me that you dont want to do that as you run the risk of melting wires and suck. Still can figure why they would only be using a 5 amp though - seems pretty small.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:55 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sraab928:
To get home from Florida last July we had to use a 10 amp as that was all I had left in my spares kit. It lasted the rest of the way home. I do get a bit concerned about upping fuse sizes though - its generally been told to me that you dont want to do that as you run the risk of melting wires and suck. Still can figure why they would only be using a 5 amp though - seems pretty small. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been running a 15 amp fuse in this circuit for over three years. 5 amp is too small when pulling a toad. I too blew a couple of original 5 amp fuses before changing size.

Dieselclacker
Old 11-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #12

I appreciate knowing that I am not the only one out there that has experienced this problem and that I can use a 10 or possibly a 15 amp fuse if it happens again.

Many thanks for the additional information

Dennis
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would advise some caution before inserting fuses of higher value.

I had the same problem with my 01 Winnebago on the WH chassis. As soon as I hooked up my enclosed trailer, instant darkness on the back end of the coach.

I looked at the wires going to the trailer plug and they were about 14ga., plenty big enough for 15-20 amps. I traced the circuit back further and the wire was spliced to an 18ga. wire. The 18ga. was Workhorse and the 14ga. was Winnegbago, thus the 5 amp fuse.

I was not comforatable running more current through an 18 ga. wire.

I installed a relay near the trailer hitch that is picked by the stock wire and powered by a 12ga. (fused @ 20 amps)that I pulled from the generator start power.

No problems, no playing with fuse sizes.

Check your wires to find out what your situation is. MY coach is older and they may have updaed the wire sizes.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #14

Good point Bruce. I will be doing some checking on mine this off season. I need to fix the problem and the the larger fuse does scare me a bit - Id rather be safe than sorry.