RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Noise under load

I have a noise when the motor is under a load, starting or going up a hill. I think it sounds like the aux brake electric motor or pump (not sure what it is) that will give you power brakes if the motor shuts down. This noise will eventually go away by itself, it will go away quicker if I let off the gas but this is working less and less as time goes on. If you turn the motor off with your foot on the brake you can hear the noise that the motor/pump makes. That's what it sounds like to me. I wonder if low vacuum could cause this this motor to come on, if so I may have a vacuum switch that is or is going bad. Don't know what turns this motor on. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #2

sure it's not a vacuum leak? especially if it's getting worse. WOT should produce a decent amount of vacuum if the RPM is up.

VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:49 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No I'm not sure if its a vacuum leak or not. I don't know if vacuum has anything to do with the electric motor/pump for aux brake system.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The back up brake system with key off or engine off is probably triggered by a brake pedal switch similar to or part of the brake lite switch. That switch also sends a brake pedal activation signal to the ECM.

I would check engine fan blade. It may be rubbing on a part of the fan shroud. The shroud has been reported to have moved or interfere with the fan blade by other posters.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
I think it sounds like the aux brake electric motor or pump (not sure what it is)
you said it sounded LIKE the motor for the brakes, not that it WAS the motor for the brakes.

If that motor was on, wouldn't the brakes be on as well? For that motor to actuate, you should need TWO things - a signal (or lack thereof) from the engine indicting it's not running, AND the brake switch. Two failures being more unlikely is the reason I suggested it might be something that sounds similar.

My 496 has an electric air pump for the emissions, at certain times it whines a bit.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Pete & Linda,

I have a 2004 W22 and I have occasionally heard that motor sound too. Sometimes at or right after start up. I've had my rig for 10 yrs now and it's still a mystery to me. It must be normal. Maybe ED, Mike, Jon, Steve or Ohmy or someone with deeper knowledge of the W22 can comment.

Happy Trails,
Bill

https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote