Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2007, 08:19 AM   #43

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
I am thinking that comparing the 8.1L engine to a bigger displacement engine is more appropriate in this discussion than comparing downward to a 3.5 L or smaller engine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My response was to a direct question regarding Acuras and was not intended to have any implications whatsoever regarding the 8.1L GM engine.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
I'm considering using Amsoil and a bypass filter on my CAT C7, gives me a 25,000 mile change interval. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have any documentation from Cat that you can extended you change interval past what they recommend when using synthetic??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:15 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
Do you have any documentation from Cat that you can extended you change interval past what they recommend when using synthetic?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom, How about documentation from the manufacturer of the oil backed up by a Blackstone Lab test on a routine basis? Keeping synthetic oil in a diesel for extended drain intervals is a norm and I have read in numerous over the road truck trade pubs that they retain oil for as much as 200,000 miles.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer, glad you mentioned "Blackstone Lab" as I have used this lab since my W22 was new. It would be interesting to see lab results from those who have this or similar data. I've posted my lab results before (and been flamed by some) but in my case the issue was high silicon (as in dirt) with the stock air intake and stock filter. These numbers dropped like a rock as soon as I added my C.A.I. and S&B filter.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:38 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Gilbert:
These numbers dropped like a rock as soon as I added my C.A.I. and S&B filter. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You certainly won't get flamed from me that for sure. Proactively doing the right thing is always the best course of action regardless of what the prevailing thought of the moment is regarding one issue or another.

A "Blackstone Lab" report is exactly what Workhorse will do "IF" they come across a head scratcher that requires more figurin' than just ripping an engine apart. Having a lab report is not something that is over kill. A properly formulated maintenance strategy employing scientific data is just what fleet operators do all the time. It's the key ingredient that saves them money and makes their business thrive. In the long run it'll save your engine, conserve resources, free up your time for important things like traveling and reduce your dependency on redundant maintenance cycles.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #48

Just a short note about my experience with Mobil I oil. I sold mobile oils for many years and I attended several oil classes put on by mobile Oil co. One of the things they always stressed to us was not to talk a customer into using mobile I if the mileage was over 50000, what would happen was the additive package was so good that it would clean out everything and you would have a leaking engine. I sold it for many years and I never had an engine fail that was using this oil. Another thing I watched a film where they took an engine and put it in a cold room and first started the engine using a regular oil 10w30 and timed how long it would take the oil to reach the upper rocker arm shaft. then they did the same engine using MObile 1 10w30, Depending on the tempature it would sometimes be 5 min. with the regular oil, and the Mobil 1 would be less than a min. The big difference is the molecules in Regular oil is all different sizes and in the Mobil 1 they are all the same size.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Uncle Sam:
The big difference is the molecules in Regular oil is all different sizes and in the Mobil 1 they are all the same size. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for sharing that. This is certainly one of the properties that I champion every time I speak about synthetic oils whether its motor oil or transmission fluid.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #50

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
I'm considering using Amsoil and a bypass filter on my CAT C7, gives me a 25,000 mile change interval. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

CAT specifically does not recommend extending the oil change intervals with synthetics (I asked @ Perry). So Steve, use synthetics if you like, but I'd stick to the CAT posted change interval of 11K miles or 1X/year.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote