RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My sweetie and I just returned from spending the day at the Dallas, Texas RV show, and we could not find even ONE RV on the UFO chassis. Not even any of the biggest dealers at the show had one, and I ask them all. Needless to say I was very disappointed as I really want to see one up close and personal!

Bummer.

Glenn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2007, 02:07 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My sweetie and I just returned from spending the day at the Dallas, Texas RV show, and we could not find even ONE RV on the UFO chassis. Not even any of the biggest dealers at the show had one, and I ask them all. Needless to say I was very disappointed as I really want to see one up close and personal!

Bummer.

Glenn

Old 09-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
paz

There were probably about half a dozen motorhomes on UFO chassis at the big PRVCA Show in Hershey. Most of the exhibitors commented that the ones on display were early production models, so it sounds like not many have been built.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #4

It appears the price of this chassis is killing it,Freds seem to be making steady gains in market share.
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spoonman:
It appears the price of this chassis is killing it,Freds seem to be making steady gains in market share. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We looked a several FREDs while at the show. VOGT RV of Ft.Worth had a really nice ALLEGRO FRED there. Had we been in the market for a new rig, we would have bought it!

Glenn
Old 09-30-2007, 05:44 PM   #6

There were two Destinations on the UFO chassis at the Portland OR RV show. Only problem is that the salespeople don't have a clue about the UFO chassis.

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:21 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dalsn1:
Only problem is that the salespeople don't have a clue about the UFO chassis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>This statement is not very far off the mark. It is consistent with what I have experienced on the show room floor. Older salesmen fear the new chassis because of the previous failure which they equivocate to the UFO but in fact it's light years away in technology and they really do not understand what the UFO is and how much different it really is.

These older guys might try to fluff it off and and attempt to sell something to a customer that they feel comfortable with. Learning something new doesn't come easy to old dogs but they can learn if they choose to do so.

The very next most critical factor in presenting the UFO to customers it to offer them floorplan choices. This has been spoken about repeatedly by our members and it is probably the biggest concern that is written about.

I can't tell you how many times I hear, give me the floorplan and decor that I want and I'll buy it on a UFO. Why is this statement true? Because the majority of test drivers interviewed have rated the UFO as being exceptional. You too will be totally impressed by the performance that is inherent in the UFO and if you can get a test drive I would urge you to sign up.

Tampa FL will be the most likely be the location for the next Ride & Drives in association with the Florida SuperShow. Exceptional acceleration, maneuverability, ride quality and braking are the standard features that differentiate the UFO from any other RV chassis on the market.

At the Workhorse Chassis Motorhome Club Rally here in Urbana, Virginia at the Bethpage RV Resort, Workhorse will be offering test drives on their newest (to the fleet) technology demonstrator a 2008 Winnebago 39W Destination. The UFO should be landing here on Wednesday.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #8

How are the bedroom floors in a UFO diesel or gas chassis? Is there a hump or are they flat? Our previous rig, a pusher, had a 2 step high hump where the CAT C7 sat. Tough to get out of bed--it was like sleeping on the floor.

And how about engine maintenance? Changing plugs, etc? There must be a hatch in the rear to access the top of the engine. On our pusher the bed needed to be taken apart to gain access--kinda a pain when the valves needed to be adjusted!

Is the generator mounted up front on slides so you can service it?

How about protection (some kind of screen) for road debris getting kicked up by the rear tires into the air stream, hitting the fan and puncturing the radiator? Spartan makes a screen, Freightliner does not.

just wondering,
ron
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 08:01 AM   #9
Official iRV2 Sponsor

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Spoonman:
It appears the price of this chassis is killing it,Freds seem to be making steady gains in market share. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The bad part about that is the service centers for Freightliner treat RVers like illegal alien's! If you can find a service center at all.
Most RV sales people are just order takers,they really dont know the product,there are exception's to that rule but they are hard to find.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:14 AM   #10

Don't care for the interior on the Destination, the LaPalma 38PLT looks interesting on paper, but no ones seems to stock it.

Steve

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rondi:
How are the bedroom floors in a UFO diesel or gas chassis? Is there a hump or are they flat? Our previous rig, a pusher, had a 2 step high hump where the CAT C7 sat. Tough to get out of bed--it was like sleeping on the floor.

And how about engine maintenance? Changing plugs, etc? There must be a hatch in the rear to access the top of the engine. On our pusher the bed needed to be taken apart to gain access--kinda a pain when the valves needed to be adjusted!

just wondering,
ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ron, all the UFOs at Hershey (Winnebago/Itasca, Monaco/Holiday Rambler, Georgie Boy, and Forest River) were all gas and all rear floors that were flat. They all had an access cover on the floor at the rear.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #12
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dalsn1:
Don't care for the interior on the Destination, the LaPalma 38PLT looks interesting on paper, but no ones seems to stock it.

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They had 2 Holiday Rambler Vacationer (sister coach to the Monaco LaPalma) 38PLTs at the show in Hershey. Of the several UFO coaches at Hershey, these were the floorplans I liked best with the full-wall slide of the Georgie Boy a close second. Personally, I'm not big fans of either Holiday Rambler or Georgie Boy, but I did like their floorplans. Like you, I'm not fond of the Winnebago interiors.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO, none of the current UFO manufactures have come out with a "WOW" floorplan. It's dissapointing that they have not taken advantage of their flat floor selling point.

I'd like to see Winnebago come out with a floorplan that has the 37B bedroom plus 2 front slides plus a front door.

Look forward to test diving one at Urbanna.

Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote