Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2007, 09:27 AM   #43

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JCM:
Keep a log book of all services, modifications etc. It will help your memory and be informative to the 2nd owner or can be used for warentee claims. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. I also keep a manila folder in the coach with copies of all repair and service invoices, as well as, the register receipts for oil and filters I buy.

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2007, 05:04 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had the exact same thing happen to my 1984 454 that bruceh had happen. Collapsed piston though. Known problem with these motors. In fact when I called the extended warranty people they said, " let me guess #5 piston? it's the third one I've had today"

Even with that known problem, I had to dig out 5 years worth of receipts to prove it was serviced properly.

They covered the $6000 new engine except for some coolant, oil, filters and minor other stuff.

They put a 4 bolt main engine in. Apparently, the older 454's were 3 bolt main engines. Anyway, it ran way stronger and seem to have more torque than the old one.

The new engine vs rebuilt helped sell that coach faster and for higher $$.

Can't stress enough, keep every receipt for everything, period!
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #45

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I always change my own oil and don't have the organization skill to keep oil recepts. Have never needed them in 58 years. But since I have a WH now, I guess maybe I should.
My logbook sticks to the door jam, telling me when and mileage of last oil change and the 'due' again mileage. The old sticker gets trashed when the new one goes on.
I don't remember reading in the warranty section, that we have to keep receipts for the oil we buy, is it in there? If I show receipts for 5 or 10 qts of oil between changes, will they rebuild the engine if I tell them it burnt all that oil. I mean, if receipts prove I changed the oil, then why else would I buy all that oil? To put in my other vehicles?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 03:36 AM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Argosy said...<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The point I wanted to make was it is not necessary to purchase expensive parts like crankshafts because a rod bearing spun, or a block and crank because a main spun. It is normal to grind crank journals, bore blocks, saving a lot of money over buying new, and still end up with an engine that will have acceptable performance and life. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are certainly valid and informed points, and I don't question them in the least, but IMO, repairs made in a fleet, or fleet like environment call for different parameters in deciding New/Rebuilt, than if the vehicle (MoHo)is someones "home". A failure in a MoHo, usually puts an entire family "on the curb", far from home and familiar repair facilities, with VERY little support. After the repair, they will drive away, maybe forever from the shop that holds the Warranty on the work. 2 scenerios,

#1, engine blows, towed to Joe's garage in Flotsam Az. Joe quotes, New Factory Motor, $5000, labor $5000..$10K total, NATIONWIDE warranty on motor, EVERYTHING NEW...(and if that one fails in warranty, then maybe, just maybe, some leverage on r&r too).

Scene #2, Joe says, I can get a welded crank, warranteed for 3/36000, new rod, piston, rings and bearings in 1 hole, same $5000 to r&r, but save you $2500..Lets do that, you say, saved a cool $2500.. 2 years and 14000 miles later you have it happen again (why did it happen in the first place, is there still something wrong in the original motor?) This time instead of being in Flotsam, you are in Muscatel, NY. Towed in to Genos, he says, "Joes, in Flotsam Az, never heard of him". Call to Joes produces the info, "oh yea, I remember you, crank is still in warranty, just call Mikes Cranks, in Baton Rouge,the company I bought the welded crankshaft from, send them the old one, and they will send you a new one". Geno says, $5000 r&r, $1000 labor, (if new failure didn't do any additional damage).Can you even imagine all the hassle this is going to be?..To keep this a "Short Story" instead of a Book, I will still say, that for Me, in MY MoHo, it's a NEW one, no sleeves, no welds, FACTORY warranty....rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:07 AM   #47

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">rgrstndgby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You said a mouth full and I agree 100%... It also apply's to many things in life sometimes saving a few bucks up front is not worth it in the end... Not to mention the peace of mind knowing that you have a Brand New Motor and the warranty to go along with it.
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:21 PM   #48

Max49's wife should be Wife of the Year!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 06:51 PM   #49

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Max49's wife should be Wife of the Year! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
huh?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #50

Re: motor flushes. Are you still burning out your breather pipe on the ground with a little bit of gas? How 'bout pouring some water down the carb to get the carbon out? When I was young we'd see "spun rod bearings" as a result of doing "hole shots". Abuse. Pure and simple. One day the ECM will record "black box" information and you won't have to worry about collecting repair/service receipts. Just can't sleep right now!!
Old 11-18-2007, 07:29 PM   #51

Just kidding with you Max...drive it and dont worry about it.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 AM   #52

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T&W:
Re: motor flushes. Are you still burning out your breather pipe on the ground with a little bit of gas? How 'bout pouring some water down the carb to get the carbon out? When I was young we'd see "spun rod bearings" as a result of doing "hole shots". Abuse. Pure and simple. One day the ECM will record "black box" information and you won't have to worry about collecting repair/service receipts. Just can't sleep right now!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your telling your age Chief!!

Dieselclacker
Old 11-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dieselclacker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T&W:
Re: motor flushes. Are you still burning out your breather pipe on the ground with a little bit of gas? How 'bout pouring some water down the carb to get the carbon out? When I was young we'd see "spun rod bearings" as a result of doing "hole shots". Abuse. Pure and simple. One day the ECM will record "black box" information and you won't have to worry about collecting repair/service receipts. Just can't sleep right now!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your telling your age Chief!!

Dieselclacker </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about when we had to add kerosene to our transmissions and differentials in the winter.

Don't pour water anymore got one of those new style Gumout Kits that you hang from the hood that slowly empties a pint of Gumout down your intake for you. Still have one in the original wrapper.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:47 AM   #54

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Scene #2, Joe says, I can get a welded crank, warranteed for 3/36000, new rod, piston, rings and bearings in 1 hole, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Certainly you jest. I can't imagine a reputable shop would even agree to do that and STILL give a warranty. Do you know how much garbage has gone thru the oil system by the time an engine lets go? I am talking about a reputable rebuild, not some hack who will do anything to make a buck. And any owner who agrees/insists on such a rebuild deserves to learn an expensive lesson; be informed or listen to the people who are.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:11 AM   #55

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">be informed or listen to the people who are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No Argosy, no "jesting", however it appears that you are taking this conversation as a personal criticism.. Not so, my post was only to illustrate what a variety of situations one might incur. If, as you imply, you are "informed", then Im sure you have seen the variety of work performed, from "NASCAR" level work, to "Shade Tree", in the name of auto repair. Though I no longer do anything "Auto", beyond routine maintanance, my experience in automotive work, including engine rebuilding, goes back about 60 years, to the days when Fords came from the factory with sleeves, and Chrysler delivered new cars with 1 or more undersized rod/main/cam bearings, and 1 or more oversized bores.
I also don't think any customer "deserves" to be taken advantage of. If you will re read my last post, a "compilation" of what could be encountered, you will see that I was saying that the "crankshaft" was warranteed, not the repair job.. Please feel free to disagree, but I have nothing further that will add "help" to this subject...rgr..
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Argosy:
.. be informed or listen to the people who are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Argosy, I believe the "RGR" responded adequately in this matter and that between the both of us he's probably forgotten more than we might ever learn.

I know RGR is not idly responding and I value his opinion.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote