Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #29

Yes I fully agree this " mechanic " maintains our fleet of 30 trucks all built on the workhorse chassis that is why I took it to him but its proving to be a complete disaster after this I am going to urge my General Manager to source out a new company to work on our trucks
Mitchyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #30

I've done this exact job on this engine in this chassis three times. There is no reason to take off the heads. I try all the bolts, and break none. Breaking them means that you might end up with one broken off flush. If they come out great, if not ...

Then I use an inductive heater. Heats them glowing red fast, and there is no torch flame to burn things my mistake. I try again, but break none.

The ones still in the head get cut with a torch at the head. Then I pull the manifold as as far out as it will come on the remaining bolt stud. Then I torch them off. In most cases I only need to torch a few anyway. The remaining chunks unthread from the head easy, since they got heat cycled by torch twice.

I've done hundreds of manifolds in my career. I've never had removal take over an hour unless there is lots of stuff in the way that must be removed.

I hope you got multi layer stainless manifold gaskets. They last forever, and don't burn out if the bolts come loose. The ARP studs are good, but they can add some cost and a little to the install time.

All Gens of the 7.4 have reasonably big bolts. They are much less of a problem than the Ford 4.6, 5.4, 6.8 ones that break easier. I'll bet the clown that caused the mess on your 454 would never finish a 6.8l in the van chassis. Its literally twice as hard.
Adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mitchyb,
It's a sad state of affairs when it comes down to what you've experienced. My entire career was training young kids to work on cars/trucks. I took the job seriously. My program was one of the best in the state. We attended state and national contests for 20 years and did well. I've got kids working in all areas of mechanics, all over NW AR. When I retired they shut my program down because they believe everybody NEEDS to go to college, get a degree and get a job. WELL we all know that's not going to always happen. Yes, all technical areas from Auto Mechanics to nurses to electricians etc are in need of qualified individuals but the entire speaking (those that are heard) country from the presidents down to the parents continue to push for college, college, college as the ONLY answer for an education and a means to make a living. If I were under 65 again I could go to any reasonable sized community in the entire country and probably the world and secure a good job within a week. My DW as an RN could do the same. Many college educated individuals are working at fast food places as assistant managers. Last year a guy bought a truck from me. He had a degree from U of AR in Philosophy and French. Just what in the sam he** is he going to do with that???? Why would you spend your $$$$$.
Parents and educators are continuing to push all students towards college. If a kids grades IN MATH AND SCIENCE are low they push them towards the technical areas. THAT MAKES A LOT OF SENSE. I experienced that approach for 35 years. Send them to the shop so they can work with their hands and not their heads. Well the country is seeing the results of that flawed way of thinking. An automotive training book is written at a grade 14 level, or second year of college. We continue to NOT have qualified workers because most don't direct kids to enter or even try the technical choices available to them.

JM2CW
TeJay
Old 09-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #32

I have hope for the future in part because of inexpensive tablet computers. Tablet run simple programs that are user friendly. They're so easy to use even preschoolers are using them and learning. I just bought a Nero tablet for $62.for a friend a this nursing home I'm rehabing at. He was run down at fifteen by a drunk driver and has been hospitalized since 1964. For 49years his damaged hip and spinal pain were his most pressing issues. Krill oil solved that. But now he's getting ready to reenter the world as a 64 year old man with a tenth grade education. Enter the tablet. Ill be leading several "GED" apps for him so he can learn at his own pace and get his GED next year. Then we pick an online college. These tablets are going to revolutionize education not just here but worldwide. Their ease of use and access to the web give any individual with a tablet access to the sum of human knowledge. That gives me hope. To paraphrase sy Sims an educated person is our best citizen. Not just of our country but our planet!
jasright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your point is well taken. I to have hope for the future I was just relating the direction that it took for many, many years. Every time I had a quality kid (one that possessed the abilities to go to college) the counselors would forcefully re-direct them away from my automotive program. My own son every year was counseled not to take the machine shop course that interested him. They always told him that he was going to college and he needed to take this and that. Well he took all his college courses and still took the shop classes. When in the 10th grade he came home and told us that his shop teacher taught him how to read a ruler. The teachers in his grade school taught him how to read a ruler but never expected him to apply it. If you don't apply it you don't really learn it. He's not stupid either. He has a BS, MBA and two more masters degrees, is a Lt. Col in the AF and is currently working at the Pentagon.

TeJay
Old 09-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #34

Well said, TeJay....when I lived in Germany during my USAF service, I met many nationals. I was surprised when they told me their "education system" chose who went to tech school or college. During the high school years, depending on grades and interest, a student was directed to college or tech training. A gifted person was sent to engineering or medical fields, etc. The folks who enjoyed working with their hands and fixing things went to tech schools....the slow or disinterested were shown how to use a shovel. It seemed to work....In Texas we have a 35-40% dropout rate in high school....these folks want $15 an hour plus benefits....I am sorry for them as they will be a drag on society and our country.... End of rant.

George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #35
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
My daughter tells me that next year they are taking handwriting out of the curriculum at her old elementary school. WTH?

What are they going to do? Start teaching the fine art of texting?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #36

Our daughter came in for a visit. She lives in Houston and is a senior geophysicist with a major oil company. She said they are hiring geologists out of college who can barely write...mostly print or type on their laptops or iPads. She said "Dad, young folks do not write anymore....they type on their cells or iPads". Kinda sad, isn't it....

George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #37

Hey folks thought I'd let you know the my coach is back at home, after searching for a couple days and numerous phone calls I was able to find some info on what GM Rated this job for flat rate time and it was in fact 13 hours when picking it up I luckily had the keys from stopping by the shop earlier, I had In an envelope payment for 13 hours labour and the parts as I handed it to him I showed him the info and let him know that I won't be paying a penny more. Although he wasn't happy he did not argue. Life lesson learned here sometimes it's best for your own mental health to go to a shop who is more respected and pay a higher price then to save a few bucks. I wouldn't have had to crawl around the thing for 12 hours as well wouldn't have had two crying little ladies from a horrible camping trip lol you should have seen my youngest sitting at the dinette as we sat on the side of the road saying in despair " this is the worst camping trip ever!!!!" It breaks a daddies heart.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:49 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
My coach is currently at a Cummins facility in Novi Michigan that also works on Workhorse chassis'. I had taken it in to do a repair on the basement air and was informed that the exhaust manifolds are warped. When doing some rustproofing on the compartments this summer I noticed that the mufflers were not in that great of shape with excessive corrosion and metal flaking off. I had plans of replacing the mufflers next year. I talked to the techs at Cummins and the cost of replacing the cast iron manifolds alone would be a few hundred dollars less that replacing the whole system with the Banks power pack. I have given the go ahead on the Banks Power Pack as well as replacing the plug wires and plugs.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchyb View Post
Hey folks thought I'd let you know the my coach is back at home, after searching for a couple days and numerous phone calls I was able to find some info on what GM Rated this job for flat rate time and it was in fact 13 hours when picking it up I luckily had the keys from stopping by the shop earlier, I had In an envelope payment for 13 hours labour and the parts as I handed it to him I showed him the info and let him know that I won't be paying a penny more. Although he wasn't happy he did not argue. Life lesson learned here sometimes it's best for your own mental health to go to a shop who is more respected and pay a higher price then to save a few bucks. I wouldn't have had to crawl around the thing for 12 hours as well wouldn't have had two crying little ladies from a horrible camping trip lol you should have seen my youngest sitting at the dinette as we sat on the side of the road saying in despair " this is the worst camping trip ever!!!!" It breaks a daddies heart.
Do you have plans of taking it to a Chev/GM dealer to get it fixed? I would hope that if the work is done by a sanctioned Workhorse facility, it would be warranted wherever you are at the closest Chev/GM dealer? That is one reason that if and when I have to have my plugs changed on my Ford V10, it will be done by a Ford facility. If a plug blows on a trip, it should be warranted by them!
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:52 PM   #40
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry to hear about your tribulations. Glad you didn't have to get into an argument on the bill.

The kids are resilient and will be good after the next (hopefully) uneventful tour.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #41

Thanks Dogpatch with any luck we will try to make up for it next weekend when the DW goes to Calgary for the weekend and SWILSON it's funny you mention a dealership because even our own dealership here in abbotsford won't work on motorhomes so I am a little perplexed where to take it
Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #42
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Dogpatch with any luck we will try to make up for it next weekend when the DW goes to Calgary for the weekend and SWILSON it's funny you mention a dealership because even our own dealership here in abbotsford won't work on motorhomes so I am a little perplexed where to take it
I take mine to a heavy duty truck repair place here that also does RV's.