Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oddball Toad light issue

Have a strange issue that has cropped up when my Jeep is connected the the coach this last time out. The brake & turn lights on the coach work fine connected or not to the Jeep. However only the left signal & brake light work on the Jeep when I have it connected in. The right side signal, brake and center brake light don't come on (I forgot the check the running lights but I suspect it would be the same). When the Jeep isn't connected everything is normal with it. The umbical seems to be ok, I made sure nothing was loose in both connector ends of it. Naturally I have a 2k mile road trip in 2 weeks. I'm going to call the place that did the light install on the Jeep last year to get them to take a look at it (they didn't do anything to the coach). If it's not the Jeep, any ideas on what to look for on the coach? I downloaded the wiring diagram for the trailer connector. I checked for the obvious (anything loose or broken on the coach connector). I did see that some of the the wiring from the plug goes into a small black box mounted on the chassis member.
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
txdutt, I had a problem like yours last year. I found a bad plug connection between the toad and the coach. I cleaned the the tiny plug sockets and spread open the male plug ends. Good Luck JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had that problem too.. I wound up making something like half a dozen new connections on the lights.

Assuming the flat 4 connector.

The "odd" pin is ground, the one next to it running lights, I'd have to look up the other two (one is right and the other left turn/stop)

I had broken wires on both sides of the plug (Motor home and towed) and one other place down-line as I recall.. Being an electronics technician by training, fixing them was no biggie.. Have all the tools.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Check the ground. A lot of problems can be blamed on a bad one
Old 05-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good advice so far. Now I advise that you get a meter and go to work finding where the problem is located or have it fixed at a shop that will that service for you.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
from what I can tell on the wiring diagram there is a common ground from the plug to the chassis on the coach for all of the hot pins, I'd assume that if it was a grounding problem then neither the left or right stop/turn lights on the Jeep would work when plugged in..I'll get back under the coach tomorrow after work & take a good look see with the w/d in my hand...
Old 05-31-2011, 12:35 PM   #7

It sounds like the same problem that I had until someone told me I needed a tail light converter. Google tail light converter.
Good luck
Pete
Old 05-31-2011, 01:14 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdutt View Post
---- However only the left signal & brake light work on the Jeep when I have it connected in. The right side signal, brake and center brake light don't come on
The only times that has happened to my set up was the result of the one wire, in this case the wire for the rt side. Always found that wire disconnected at one end(toad) of the of the umbilical cord. Could also be at either end of the cord or at either connector on the vehicles.

Marty
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
got ahold of the place that installed the base plate & light kit last year, they can't get me in until Mon. They said it sounded like the diode block since one side stops working when it's plugged in as the most likely culprit but will test everything out.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, they checked the Jeep and umbilical and said they tested fine so the issue is in the coach. It's in the shop for a slide & tranny leak issue so that'll be added to the work order, this should be fun...
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
finally got resolution today & it wasn't the coach....&^%$!!! It was a bad pin on the front connector of the jeep, so guess who's going to be getting a certified letter demanding payment of the unneccessary diagnostic charge of the coach...
Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Well the good side of it is that the problem is solved !!
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdutt View Post
finally got resolution today & it wasn't the coach....&^%$!!! It was a bad pin on the front connector of the jeep, so guess who's going to be getting a certified letter demanding payment of the unneccessary diagnostic charge of the coach...
Wellllll ..... Good luck partner but I don't think that that dog will hunt.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
can't hurt to try especially when they "tested" the Jeep and pronounced nothing wrong with it...other shop that had it doing some other repairs tested the coach and found everything working, had the Jeep fixed in 15 mins after I brought it to them