Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Oemy!

Workhorse W-22, UltraPower,496 cubic inches of
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Oemy: If the wires are green and black with a white stripe they are not used.
On my Winnebago they are on the right side by the AC Dryer. No label or markings.

I had asked this question a few years ago and basically got the same answers as above.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
My O7 W22 doesnt have it, but the 8.1 in my 05 Avalanche has the same sensor. It plugs into the base of the overflow tank.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oemy--

Did you take the dexcool out and put Prestone in the cooling system?

If so , we don't have any aluminum parts-- is that right??

Anyone else running Prestone?
Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Did you take the dexcool out and put Prestone in the cooling system?
Max, No fair!

Prestone makes Dexcool!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:42 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Yes, I removed the Dexcool and put in "Green Antifreeze".

I also replaced the Dexcool in my PT Cruiser when I had the leaky water pump replaced about 2 weeks ago. I also had to have the Alternator bearings replaced.

Note - The water pump is located "UNDER" the timing cover and you have to pull the drivers side axle to remove the alternator.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oemtech View Post
Yes, I removed the Dexcool and put in "Green Antifreeze"..
Oemy, let's not make a mistake.

"Green Antifreeze"

Now that said, let's ditch the word antifreeze and use the more appropriate word, "Coolant"
Old 03-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #22

Wink

Quote:
Definition: Antifreeze protects the cooling system against both freezing and boiling over. When used at normal strength (50% antifreeze, 50% water), it can lower the freezing point of the coolant to -34 degrees F. and raise its boiling temperature to 276 degrees F.
I stand by my statement... I used the term Green Antifreeze as Prestone is a brand name where as Dex Cool is not. But, in the intrest of harmony I will bow to the verbal wizard - DriVer
Old 03-22-2009, 05:30 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Dale ... don't forget Workhorse uses a lot of the same things on their truck chassis'. It might be something they utilize on their delivery truck chassis. It wouldn't surprise me if the wiring harness is the same one for some truck chassis' and motorhome chassis'.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:21 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My question addressed the use of using Dex-cool (the OEM pink stuff) that came in the motorhome, or replacing it with the 'ole standby "green stuff"

Here is a quote from the Prestone web site:

" PrestoneŽ DEX-COOLŽ Extended Life Antifreeze/ Coolant is recommended and formulated for use in all vehicles that require
DEX-COOLŽ coolant, as well as all other cars and light duty trucks with aluminum radiators using extended life coolant. This patented formula has a concentrated blend of premium long-lasting inhibitors for extended performance, protecting against temperature extremes and the ravages of rust and corrosion for 5 years or 150,000 miles. DEX-COOL and GM are registered trademarks of General Motors Corporation."

Do we have an aluminum radiator, or any other aluminum parts, in our cooling system?? If we do I will stick with the Dex-cool-- That's why it was developed. My old coolant fluid (the pink stuff) came out squeeky clean (after 7 years). This was unlike other fluid changes I've done over the years with the "greenstuff".
Old 03-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
My question addressed the use of using Dex-cool (the OEM pink stuff) that came in the motorhome, or replacing it with the 'ole standby "green stuff"

Do we have an aluminum radiator, or any other aluminum parts, in our cooling system?? If we do I will stick with the Dex-cool-- That's why it was developed.
Max, I'm with you! When I changed by coolant I replaced it with Dexcool. Yes, there are a number of aluminum components in our cooling systems.

The green stuff is compatible with all types of cooling systems so that's why folks are choosing it.

What we Dexcool users need to remember is assure that you have no leaks, make sure the radiator cap is good shape and on tight aligning the arrow to the recovery hose and to keep the coolant recovery bottle level within the lines. I don't expect problems with the coolant during it's use however I changed mine at about 65,000 miles and I didn't feel confident in keeping the coolant for the 100,000+ lifespan.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #26

In over 40 years of driving and auto maintenance I have never had a "coolant" related failure with "properly" maintained cooling system. The key is:
  1. 50/50 mix of antifreeze to water
  2. Use of distilled or "filtered" water
  3. Correct radiator cap - style/pressure
  4. Proper flush & replacement of coolant.
  5. Correct schedule for flush/replacement
  6. Regular checking & testing of the coolant

This site has lots of good info IMCOOL

Do to the fact that RV's are not used like the average "grocery getter" we need accelerate the maintenance schedule. Although Dex Cool says 5 years/150,000 before you need to change that is based on average driving of 15,000 to 30,000 miles a year.. 90% of the RV's will not see 15k per year alone 30k. So, I change my "fluids" early... this includes coolant, transmission, rear axle etc.

The bottom line is do what works for you.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[quote=DriVer;484232] aligning the arrow to the recovery hose......................... Could you explain what you mean by aligning the arrow to the recovery hose and why we should do this. I just rpl mine and I also went back to dexcool. I also rpl the cap and would like to know if I installed it right. I honestlt didnt know there was a wrong way.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:28 PM   #28

Workhorse Chassis Owner
JDSR,

There are two arrows on the radiator cap.

When properly tightened on the filler tube, one of the arrows will point to the overflow tube--ie, the hose going into the overflow reservior.

I just taken a picture of the radiator cap and outlined the arrows with magic marker. If I can get it approved in a hurry I'll add it to this thread.