Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #1

Oil Change Reminder

Hi all-
Question: I have a 2008 Fleetwood Bounder 35h workhorse chassis gas engine.
The last time I had the oil changed, the nimrods at Camping World forgot to reset the reminder on the odometer.
I googled how to reset the warning and it worked fine, but now it's been over 3,000 mikes and the reminder hasn't come on yet.
I could swear that it came up every 3,000 mi. before, but maybe I'm wrong and it's longer?
My questions are:
Does anyone know how many miles the factory sets it at?
Does anyone know if resetting the reminder using the ignition gas pedal routine also resets the warning?
Getting a little nervous that it hasn't come on.
Smack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2016, 03:06 PM   #2

I don't think it's based on miles but rather driving conditions, a lot of idling or city driving would trigger it sooner and highway miles longer, it basically monitors engine load. That's what I had read when I had mine, same rv as yours. This was also common on other gm vehicles.
Jandringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:43 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is not set to 3,000 miles.. Not sure what it is but it's not 3,000

I sometimes tell the tale of 3 customer service calls.. i won't do the full story here but

Hughesnet 2-way Sat internet 7 hours and all I got was a headache (Fixed it but had to back door the job)

Xantrex, when they had US support.... About 15 mintues, 1 to get the RMA and 14 to chat about, among other things, how to make sure it did not happen again.

Workhorse: Exact same problem, tech forgot to reset the oil change.. 1 minute and done... Receptionist had the answer, Never got past her. Sadly she is now unemployed (Along with the rest of the office).
Old 12-22-2016, 11:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's not based on miles...I read an article years ago about how a lady engineer at GM devised a method of determining when the oil should be changed based on several factors that are monitored by the engine computer software.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:51 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Here is a great write up on how the GM oil life monitor works: http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...145efa6b30.pdf
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:25 AM   #6

Good information so far, but I still don't know if the system reset itself when I turned off the warning. Still, the general cincensus seems to be that it's not 3,000 miles, which makes me feel a little more comfortable.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
From my Suncruiser manual. -Tom, W3TLN

Note: The GM algorithm Oil Life calculation system is not for a "severe service" application. It is for cars and trucks operated in normal NON-severe service.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:44 AM   #8

Hope I understand your reset question ( if I misunderstand,sorry). I believe the gas pedal reset you performed was the same maneuver the "nimrods" should have performed. So based on that thought, the day you did the gas pedal reset is the day the monitor thinks the oil was changed. Did you do the reset close to the oil change or some weeks later?
WendyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Tech View Post
Here is a great write up on how the GM oil life monitor works: http://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams/...145efa6b30.pdf
I enjoyed that read.

These longer service intervals are probably right on, but since a lot of our oil rituals are based on feelings and brand loyalty rather than science, I like to pick a mileage, like 4000, and just change it. Oil is cheap.

We vigorously debate best brands and intervals on other forums, like dirt bike versions, but then we admit that no one knows anyone that used any oil that ever caused an engine problem, as long as a reasonable change interval was used. It is fun to fuss about.
Leardriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 01:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leardriver View Post
We vigorously debate best brands and intervals on other forums, like dirt bike versions, but then we admit that no one knows anyone that used any oil that ever caused an engine problem, as long as a reasonable change interval was used. It is fun to fuss about.
Now THAT is funny! I belong to a couple of Harley forums and you can't believe the forum melt-downs when posting about oil brands and types. And for all the forum rhetoric, I agree with your view that 'no one knows anyone that used any oil that ever caused an engine problem...' -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #11

I just use multiples of 5,000 miles. Makes it easy to remember. If I were to go all the way to 0% in my CRV, it would go around 10,000 miles between oil changes.
Old 12-23-2016, 08:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I change the oil in my GMC Canyon (5 cylinder) at 5000 miles. I decided to not reset the reminder once and see how long before it came on. Changed it again at 5000 miles, the reminder finally lit up at just under 13000 miles.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
Now THAT is funny! I belong to a couple of Harley forums and you can't believe the forum melt-downs when posting about oil brands and types. And for all the forum rhetoric, I agree with your view that 'no one knows anyone that used any oil that ever caused an engine problem...'
We briefly entertained having an Amsoil dealer a couple of years back. That didn't work out too well.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:10 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smack View Post
Still, the general cincensus seems to be that it's not 3,000 miles, which makes me feel a little more comfortable.
If you change your oil at 5,000 miles, you'll do just fine. I use a Mobil1 and throwing oil perfectly good oil at 3000 miles is not something that I like to do.

The minimum change interval if you don't do 5000 miles a year would be once a year. I changed my oil in January and July as I was putting on quite a few miles a year. I have 111,500 miles showing.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote