Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine never used that much though it had a trip across country before I purchased it new (made in CA, purchased in FL).

Now, with 16,000 miles it takes more than 2500 miles for the level to drop a quart. For the record I'm using Mobil 1.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2006, 03:58 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Gilbert:
For the record I'm using Mobil 1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Me too
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
Me too </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me Three
Old 06-16-2006, 06:52 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Use AMSOIL, it even tastes better
Old 06-17-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rogueii:
Use AMSOIL, it even tastes better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have and it does but it's just not as attainable as off the shelf M1. Guess what folks are going to buy.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:17 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rogueii:
Use AMSOIL, it even tastes better </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have and it does but it's just not as attainable as off the shelf M1. Guess what folks are going to buy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...something about Amsoil reminds me of "Slick 50" to me....

I will go to Mobil 1 when my engine is broken in...
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:34 AM   #21

Jayco Owners Club
Mine does not use any oil.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:19 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
Yep...something about Amsoil reminds me of "Slick 50" to me....I will go to Mobil 1 when my engine is broken in... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Great! rememeber the mileage benchmark you're shooting for is 13K. When I was younger I remember a pyramid scheme product called "Steed". It was alledgely an oil based additive where everybody was going to get rich except the people that bought the product who received nothing.

I don't think that Amsoil is a Slick-50 but none the less it's a product that you have to order if you want to use the oil. The Series 2000 synthetic 0W-30 is really good stuff and it's an excellent product viscosity wise and provides better mileage benefits.

5W-30 is a product that also is very fuel efficient more so than 10W-30. I use the M1 10W-30 product here in the south.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:56 PM   #23

Mid Atlantic Campers
M1 is for those who will except compromise, find yerself a good ams oil hook up and buy a case or 2. If ya spend the bucks and buy their bypass filter those 2 cases will last 3 yrs, or an easy 45,000 mi. Me I hate crawling under the coach every 3,000 miles, thats stone age stuff now dayz. IMHO

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Me I hate crawling under the coach every 3,000 miles, that's stone age stuff now dayz. IMHO </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That is very true OH large one.

M1 is a totally synthetic erl jest as good as that there AMS. If you're runnin' M1, changin' your oil and M1 filter at minimum of twice a year should keep your motor pretty happy and I'll even go as much as saying .. regardless of mileage. Dumped M1 if tested will no doubt show oil that can be retained if lab tested and that's a bet.

Now if you're runnin' dinosaur oil get on your overalls cause you're doing oil changes every 3 months or 3,000 miles, WCF. By the way father of Hakbar the Horrible ya still need to crawl under the motorhome to grease the thing every 3,000 miles.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ran my last M1 oil 6000 miles and still changed the filter at 3000. I also added close to 4 quarts during that 6000 miles. The oil was pretty dark when I did change it.

I feel more inclined to change the oil closer to 3000 miles now. Just because I feel better about it!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:17 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
OK! Because you asked for it I went out and got the best possible information about oil consumption regarding the 8.1L engine. I hope you find the following useful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oil consumption on any series of engines is a function of duty cycle and fuel burned. As duty cycle increases, both fuel and oil consumption increases. The GM guideline for the 8.1 engine is one quart maximum for every 100 gallons of fuel burned.

The 8.1 engine as used in a GM Light Duty Truck with a low duty cycle (not pulling a trailer) would likely get about 15 MPG. Expected maximum oil consumption would be about 1,500 miles per quart. The 8.1 engine as used in a Motorhome would likely get about 8 MPG which would be about 800 miles per quart oil consumption.

There are other factors on oil consumption including the type and brand of oil used and even different batches of the same type and brand of oil. Oil as with engines have tolerance ranges such that there are differences between units. Mileage on the oil can also make a difference. The rate of oil consumption increases as new oil gets mileage on it.

The bulk of oil being "burned" is the result of the oil combining with oxygen and turning into a hydro-carbon gas or a solid. The hydro-carbon gases are cycled through the engine PCV system (positive crankcase ventilation) and burned as fuel. The solids turn to sludge that is normally suspended in the oil turning it black in color. Oxidation rates increase exponentially with temperature and temperature increases exponentially with increased duty cycle.

Also, there are small amounts of oil that pass by the piston rings and valve seals. This oil is burned in the combustion process. As an engine gets older and wear increases, this type of consumption can be expected to increase. Damage to rings or valves such as overheating or dirt through the air cleaner can drastically increase oil consumption as it is the same as accelerated wear.

Liquid oil NEVER makes it past the Catalytic converter (without major engine damage). The black often noticed in motorhome exhausts is carbon from burned fuel.

Two very important functions (and necessity to maintain warranty) on oil maintenance are:

<LI> NEVER run the engine more that one quart low on oil as wear rate increases very rapidly. Oil needs to be checked and level maintained at every fueling. Also, overfilling can damage the engine from oil aeration.
<LI> Oil in the 8.1 in Motorhome application should be changed every 3,000 miles.

The destruction of a $10,000 dollar engine due to the lack of $5.00 worth of oil is a real tragedy.

Workhorse Technical Assistance Center
Old 06-26-2006, 04:36 PM   #27

Mid Atlantic Campers
I can't believe Roxey let you say that with a straight face, and not bite you for saying M1 is a synthetic oil, hog wash. It is petro based with a dash of graphite. Also most exhalted one, ams oil makes a very fine long duty cycle grease, it keeps us large ones from crawling around on the ground to often.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:42 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jestme13:
Also most exhalted one, ams oil makes a very fine long duty cycle grease, it keeps us large ones from crawling around on the ground to often. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yea Yea I know I used the red stuff myself a few times, just haven't gotten around to buying some more. It feels almost like a tacky moist paste, hard to describe but it ain't EP grease. OH great father of Ackbar the Horrible.