Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I switched to Mobil 10w-30 at my first oil change. This was at 5000 miles (now have 39K). I bought the coach new in Florida and it had been driven from Calf. to Florida by the factory. I'll bet it was broken in "fast".

I travel to Florida every winter via the great South West, crossing the Rockies on each trip. making it a 5000 mile trip. I've never added oil before 4000 miles and than it has always slightly overfilled it.

Personally I feel 5W to too low in viscosity. I believe Workhorse/GM allow 10W as long as the engine is not started at really cold temps.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Gilbert:
I believe Workhorse/GM allow 10W as long as the engine is not started at really cold temps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Joe, Since 2005, I have been using 10W-30. 10W-30 is good all the way down to 0 degrees F.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:15 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
While digging around on the Internet last night I found some info on the "8.1L Oil Consumption" back in 2002. There is a TSB that "only the GM dealers" have access to. So, if anyone has access to the GM TSB data base you may want to look this one up.

#A001705C 8.1L L18 ENGINE POOR OIL ECONOMY - 8.1 CONSUMPTION DIAGNOSIS GUIDE HIGH HOT INTERNAL LEAK LEVEL LOW MISFIRE NOISE PLUG RING SEAL A001705C SUPERSEDES A001705A A001705.

On Edit.......

I have been informed that the above TSB is GM's answer to the 1 qt to 100 gals usage.

I did a bit more searching and found 6 more TSB's going all the way back to 2002. Most if not all are from the usage of the 8.1L in the GM truck line.

03-06-01-023 AUG 03 Engine - High Oil Consumption Explanations
02-06-01-035 OCT 02 Engine - High Oil Consumption
07-06-01-016A SEP 07 Engine - Internal Noise/Damage After Oil Filter Change
01-06-01-011D APR 07 Engine - Oil Consumption Guideline Info.
02-06-01-029 SEP 02 Engine - Needle Bearings Found Upon Oil Change
02-06-01-015 APR 02 Engine - Low Oil Pressure
Old 06-13-2008, 09:31 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My coach burns about 1 quart of Mobile 1 about every 1000 miles or about 1 qt per 125 gallons of gas on avg.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clay L:

When I called Workhorse customer service to inquire about switching to a synthetic oil they said that if I did switch, not to go back to conventional oil.
He said that once the engine had been using synthetic "it wouldn't like going back to dino oil". He didn't explain any further and I didn't press him. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Complete nonsense, and so is the reason (if you call that a "reason"). Where does Workhorse come up with stuff like this...

Another urban myth......
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:

What DID occur was:
3. Less wear at cold starts
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not necessarily disagreeing with you but how do you know this DID occur?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:41 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If an engine is running properly, it will burn oil. The purpose of the oil is to lubricate the internal parts of the engine. So every time a piston goes up and down in a cylinder it leaves a little oil in the combustion chamber. Any engine that burns less than a quart every 3000-4000 miles is probably not lubricating the cylinders enough.
roy goble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #22

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roy goble:
If an engine is running properly, it will burn oil. The purpose of the oil is to lubricate the internal parts of the engine. So every time a piston goes up and down in a cylinder it leaves a little oil in the combustion chamber. Any engine that burns less than a quart every 3000-4000 miles is probably not lubricating the cylinders enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roy, with all due respect, this statement is just not so. I have had many automobiles and trucks that used absoloutly, no oil in 5000 miles, which is my usual interval for changing engine oil in my vehicles. I recently traded in my 5 liter Ford F150 pickup with over 180k miles on the clock, and it used no oil between changes. This is not to say my Workhorse 8.1 does not use some oil, it does. However I am not convinced that the cylinders are either over or under oiling.

Dieselclacker
Old 06-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dieselclacker:
originally Quoted By: goble
... Any engine that burns less than a quart every 3000-4000 miles is probably not lubricating the cylinders enough. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dieselclacker, I have to agree with goble in the first part of his statement however I agree with you regarding the above statement. I just can't figure how that can be possible. I have a healthy engine and so do a lot of other 8.1 owners and I am not put out by having to add a little oil now and then.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb and conjecture that an engine that runs too tight is going to be brutal on MPGs. (Not that an 8.1 is too loose)

In 3 or 4 thousand miles I can expect to consume about 2 to 3 quarts of oil. I typically use 1/2 quart in ~1,000 miles. (Orlando and back).
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have 4 vehicles that owners manual states 6 qts oil needed with complete filter change.
M/H 8.1
Jeep Cherokee
Nissan Fronter
Yamaha O/B 150hp 4 Stroke
I have found if I put 6 qts in, on oil change they all use a about a quart between oil change. If I put in 5 quarts the Jeep, Nissan, Yamaha will not use a noticeable amonnt according to the dip stick. The M/H 8.1 will use a quart 3000 miles. I am thinking six quarts is overfilling all of them.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:24 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DriVer ;
If an engine is running properly, it will burn oil.

Then DriVer I guess I have owned and still own a lot of vehicles that just didn't and do not run properly. I will have to check out my 2002 Suzuki toad to see whats wrong with it, cause in 5k miles it doesn't use any oil. Come to think of it neither does my Ford truck. Now when it comes to the motorhome, well its a little better than you report on yours, I just returned from a 2000 mile trip, and its only a little more half a quart down. I guess your Winne is running properly, and my Allegro is not. Or maybe I should say more properly.

Dieselclacker

Dieselclacker
Old 06-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sorry, you should not be leaving oil in the combustion chamber if the rings on the piston engine are operating correctly,that opens up a whole new can of worms. That is the purpose of the rings, compression and oil wiping. (one is even called a oil ring)

By the way, mine does not use oil between changes. (Allowing for filling the filter)
Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ruppr:
Sorry, you should not be leaving oil in the combustion chamber if the rings on the piston engine are operating correctly,that opens up a whole new can of worms. That is the purpose of the rings, compression and oil wiping. (one is even called a oil ring)

By the way, mine does not use oil between changes. (Allowing for filling the filter)
Best, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must not be running properly then ruppr!

Dieselclacker
Old 06-18-2008, 12:19 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
2800 miles and down a half of a quart. Mostly highway miles. My brother in law has the 8.1 in his yukon XL and he also uses the same amount of oil between changes, about a quart.