Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 09:22 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oil Cooler Leak

I just noticed, though the old stains on my driveway say it has been a little while, that my oil cooler is leaking. What I am hoping for is some input as to whether this is the simple gasket replacement leak, or the full oil cooler leak. We have a 2004 Kountry Star on a W22 with a Vortex 8.1L. Hopefully this picture will tell the tale. Sorry for the out link, couldn't get the image to post.

Leak Picture

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Bill
kristler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I don't see a gasket that could be leaking. It looks like a failure of a joint or the cooler itself. You could try cleaning it up and try to pinpoint the leak a little better, but it might not be evident until you actually pull it out of it's location.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks. That's what I thought, but hope springs eternal. I will be taking it up to the dealer tomorrow. Bought a "service plan" so I guess it's time to see how much a pain that's going to be. Figured I might as well take it to the place I bought it and the "service plan" and let them fight it out. Have a trip scheduled in just over 4 weeks, so hope they can get it done in time!
Old 08-16-2015, 04:47 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my 2002 Fleetwood Flair, the channel that it sits in, rubbed a hole in the cooler. It is a bad design, there is no rubber or any cushion. It is metal on metal in the channel.
I hope yours is just an "O" ring on the connector. Good Luck.

This guy is having a tough time just getting to oil cooler.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/w22-a...re-258463.html

If I had to do it again, I would buy and external oil cooler, make or change what ever line fittings I need, then mount it in front of the old one, and abandon the old in place. Save a lot of money.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Work is done plus good reviews

We took the RV to Carmichael Truck and Auto in Bloomington, Indiana. We don't have a Workhorse shop in the area, and Carmichaels does a lot of large truck (commercial), bus and RV work. They did a quick job checking things out, confirmed the oil cooler leak and contacted our "warranty" company (CSI Care RV). CSI agreed to cover almost everything except the serpentine belt Carmichael also suggested replacing (including removal and reinstall of the AC condenser). Later while removing the AC condenser Carcmichael discovered a very bent (but not broken) loop with a lot of rust. CSI wouldn't cover (which I expected) based on it not yet failing and also pre-existing. I am sure that's true since we have only had the RV for 8 months and it would be very hard to get in and damage the loop that was damaged. My best guess is done at the factory. Anyway, Carmichael quoted $825 for the part, but no labor since that was already covered. I found it on Ultra RV for $400. Carmichael said I could order and have it shipped to them and they would install. I ordered it from Ultra online with the VIN check. Ultra called and confirmed I was good to go. They then said that they would be drop shipping from Chicago, so the free ground shipping would get it to me in the same time as the 2 day $70 upgrade I selected, so they refunded my shipping .

All in all in all I am very happy all around. I would like to recommend and thank:
Carmichael Truck and Auto Bloomington Indiana
CSI Care RV Service Plan
And of course
Ultra RV Products!

Bill
Old 09-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Bill,

Glad that it all worked out for you!

We appreciate your business!
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you Ultra RV! You folks were great! I was actually test driving our RV after installing a set of new Koni shocks from your business (ordered by my parents who travel with us in the RV) when I found the oil leak that started this "adventure". The shocks are great as well (as was the shipping, etc.). I am glad you're around and supporting IRV2 as well as the Workhorse chassis community. Glad IRV2 is here as well. Wouldn't have found you otherwise!

Bill
Old 09-03-2015, 05:26 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgscott4 View Post
On my 2002 Fleetwood Flair, the channel that it sits in, rubbed a hole in the cooler. It is a bad design, there is no rubber or any cushion. It is metal on metal in the channel.
I hope yours is just an "O" ring on the connector. Good Luck.

This guy is having a tough time just getting to oil cooler.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/w22-a...re-258463.html

If I had to do it again, I would buy and external oil cooler, make or change what ever line fittings I need, then mount it in front of the old one, and abandon the old in place. Save a lot of money.
I am that guy

I had no repair insurance so it is costing me a bundle and I am doing the work myself. I was unable to find a local shop to do the job (there are no WH dealers in Atlantic Canada)

So far, I had to buy the cooling unit - transmission fluid cooler, engine oil cooler, and a/c condenser is integrated in one unit- cost me C$2750 delivered to the door from a WH shop in Toronto

Every fitting that had to be removed had galled - , penetrating oil, heat, freezing, and tapping would not break them loose. Ruthless destruction was the only option (I live near Halifax NS where corrosion is a big issue - spent a long time talking to marine, auto, and a/c techs trying to determine the best approach)

Many of the needed a/c hoses are no longer available. I have had trouble sourcing needed components locally.

As of today, I have the unit placed in situ.

Last stumbling block is freeing up the fitting (on condenser end) on the line from the a/c compressor to the condenser. If I can not loosen it, I will buy a new hose from UltraRV (WH no longer has this hose but Ultra does manufacture a replacement)

Today my goal is to install the Tranny and engine cooler lines so that I can get the vehicle in motion.

Glad to hear that you have got yours fixed. My frustration levels continue to be very high

P

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:21 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
prsmith, I am really sorry about all your troubles! I guess I was really lucky that only of the 2 of the 3 coolers had to be replaced on mine and that they came apart without tearing up the hoses and connectors. The shop did replace a few bolts and gaskets, but that's it. Also I lucked out that we had a local big truck shop that worked on RVs as well (I asked a few others and they were not interested). Glad you are working with Ultra. They really helped me out!

Good luck!

Bill
Old 09-03-2015, 08:46 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
prsmith, many auto shops or heavy equipment services can fabricate high pressure hoses as used in A/C and hydraulic lines. If you take the ends (even mangled) and the measured length to a shop they can make the hose for you.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:02 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
prsmith, many auto shops or heavy equipment services can fabricate high pressure hoses as used in A/C and hydraulic lines. If you take the ends (even mangled) and the measured length to a shop they can make the hose for you.
I hit every air cond and hydraulic shop in a 50 mile radius - could not find the fittings.

P

All of the best and safe driving,
prsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak