Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What requires 2 men, 3 different oil filter wrenches, 3/8" ratchet and extensions, 1/2" ratchet and extension, a heavy gauge plastic vacuum cleaner extension wand and an 18 inch 1/2" drive breaker bar?

Short answer: Getting my oil filter off my coach. Yes - It's that time of year again, July - so I change the oil and filter at least twice a year at the very least.

First off I didn't have any supplies so we had to take a run to the store and of course we, "depchief" and I, took a ride to our local NAPA store. Once there we went to the back wall where all the oil was displayed and all the way over on the right side of the display practically in the cheap seats was NAPA 10W-30 Full Synthetic motor oil.

Since there have been soooo many glowing reviews about the NAPA Gold 1060 7/8 of a quart filter and the fact that I wanted to be just like Max49 I bought a 1060.

The NAPA synthetic motor oil is made by Ashland Inc. which also makes Vaseline er .... Valvoline. The NAPA oil was priced at $4.79 which is a dollar less than the name brand synthetic oils. Multiply that by 8 and your talking some money. The filter was $5.77.

Check this out, I was charged $0.02 x 7 = .14 cents, environmental charge.

Meanwhile back at the ranch I proceeded to drain the crankcase down into my drain pan. Man what a mess I made there was oil splatter just about everywhere. Good thing is I know that I make messes so I brought a roll of paper towels with me.

After the pan drained down somewhat I fitted my oil filter "C" cap wrench (diameter=3 3/4") on my 6' - 3/8" drive extension. I also mated that to my Snap-On 12" 3/8 drive ratchet and began to put some torque on the filter can. Checking for better clearance, I saw that a second 6" extension would make the job somewhat a easier. Pouring the coals on that Snap-On and all of a sudden I heard a snap and the extensions came apart. Huh! I said as I gave it another shot. Again "snap" and the extensions came apart gain. Well you guessed it - oil filter ain't coming off that easily.

What was happening is that the "C" wrench is actually slipping across the flats on the base of the oil filter case.

Ain't never done that B4!

Resigning to the fact that weren't no way that I was gonna budge the filter with the current technology that I had so we decided to go back to the NAPA for some what more aggressive filter wrenches.

We found what we thought would be a good wrench. The Pn# was a 77-2187 adjustable oil filter band wrench w/handle and after about 30 to 40 minutes of NASCAR speak we finally got out of the door. $13.36

We went back to the ranch to give this thing a shot. Depchief was on the front and I was under the filter and we worked together to see if we could get the filter spinning off the base. Once the filter wrench was positioned we began torquing up that wrench. Initially we met with no results in fact we began crushing in the sides of the filter canister. "We in trouble now!"

So here we are tying what we could with the wrench and still couldn't move the filter. We needed some more leverage so I found a 18" heavy gauge vacuum cleaner extension wand. I put the wand over the handle of the band wrench and after repositioning the band and getting a good vantage point to pull I began pulling on the wand. We initially thought we were making progress however the only thing we wound up doing was crushing the can in some more. Mind you the filter is still full of oil. I lowered the wrench down and took a look at it and we were actually destroying the wrench! The band and the attachment points were totally out of line and twisted.

Let's take up Mike Waltrip on that Lifetime Guarantee!

Realizing that we were not moving the filter with the wrench we had made it incumbent on us to get some heavier artillery – you guessed it, back to NAPA. I showed the counter man the wrench and although the wrench looked like a pretzel, the parts man gave me an eyebrow exclamation and we proceeded to get a better wrench.

We were shown a NAPA Pn# 77-3149, Nylon Strap Oil Filter Wrench. Made from an incredibly thick 2" band of Nylon and attached to a ½" drive socket bar we took the tool and with confidence left the building for the challenge! The new wrench cost $7.49 and I got $5.35 back.

Well first things first - "lunch time!"

Back under the motorhome depchief had the wrench in place around the filter and I fitted a 1/2" extension bar and 18" long 1/2" drive breaker bar into the drive of the tool. It was a little awkward getting the tool ready to pour the coals to it since we had to wrap up the strap as tight as possible before getting on the pipe. Once we got the strap in place and it never did slip at all, I was able to get some muscle into the pull. Depchief saw it first – the can moved! We repositioned the strap, got another bite on it, pulled and the can continued to move. My eyes were bugging out because I was pulling so hard.

We tried at that moment to move the can with the "C" wrench but it wouldn't fit to the bottom of the can anymore. Back on the strap wrench and more easily now we got the can to move some more and finally we got it to the point where we could remove the filter by hand.

Depchief placed a plastic shopping bag over the filter and continued to remove the filter and finally it fell into the pan! Tada!

I have to tell you that the Mobil 1 can held up as well as could be expected and once we got the nylon band on the can with a little horsepower the can came off. Man what a relief!

I came out from under the rig and filled up the 1060 and it does not hold a quart of oil it held about 7/8s of a quart. Depchief was still on the ground at this point so I gave him the pre-charged filter and he put it in place – hand tight plus a 1/4 to a 1/3 turn additional with the "C" wrench.

Finishing up, we added in 6 full quarts and that was that! The dip stick read "Full". Started the rig and no leaks all is well.

Now about that NAPA 1060 .... I'm still waiting for the warm fuzzy feeling you guys keep trumpeting about but it ain't happening!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
What requires 2 men, 3 different oil filter wrenches, 3/8" ratchet and extensions, 1/2" ratchet and extension, a heavy gauge plastic vacuum cleaner extension wand and an 18 inch 1/2" drive breaker bar?

Short answer: Getting my oil filter off my coach. Yes - It's that time of year again, July - so I change the oil and filter at least twice a year at the very least.

First off I didn't have any supplies so we had to take a run to the store and of course we, "depchief" and I, took a ride to our local NAPA store. Once there we went to the back wall where all the oil was displayed and all the way over on the right side of the display practically in the cheap seats was NAPA 10W-30 Full Synthetic motor oil.

Since there have been soooo many glowing reviews about the NAPA Gold 1060 7/8 of a quart filter and the fact that I wanted to be just like Max49 I bought a 1060.

The NAPA synthetic motor oil is made by Ashland Inc. which also makes Vaseline er .... Valvoline. The NAPA oil was priced at $4.79 which is a dollar less than the name brand synthetic oils. Multiply that by 8 and your talking some money. The filter was $5.77.

Check this out, I was charged $0.02 x 7 = .14 cents, environmental charge.

Meanwhile back at the ranch I proceeded to drain the crankcase down into my drain pan. Man what a mess I made there was oil splatter just about everywhere. Good thing is I know that I make messes so I brought a roll of paper towels with me.

After the pan drained down somewhat I fitted my oil filter "C" cap wrench (diameter=3 3/4") on my 6' - 3/8" drive extension. I also mated that to my Snap-On 12" 3/8 drive ratchet and began to put some torque on the filter can. Checking for better clearance, I saw that a second 6" extension would make the job somewhat a easier. Pouring the coals on that Snap-On and all of a sudden I heard a snap and the extensions came apart. Huh! I said as I gave it another shot. Again "snap" and the extensions came apart gain. Well you guessed it - oil filter ain't coming off that easily.

What was happening is that the "C" wrench is actually slipping across the flats on the base of the oil filter case.

Ain't never done that B4!

Resigning to the fact that weren't no way that I was gonna budge the filter with the current technology that I had so we decided to go back to the NAPA for some what more aggressive filter wrenches.

We found what we thought would be a good wrench. The Pn# was a 77-2187 adjustable oil filter band wrench w/handle and after about 30 to 40 minutes of NASCAR speak we finally got out of the door. $13.36

We went back to the ranch to give this thing a shot. Depchief was on the front and I was under the filter and we worked together to see if we could get the filter spinning off the base. Once the filter wrench was positioned we began torquing up that wrench. Initially we met with no results in fact we began crushing in the sides of the filter canister. "We in trouble now!"

So here we are tying what we could with the wrench and still couldn't move the filter. We needed some more leverage so I found a 18" heavy gauge vacuum cleaner extension wand. I put the wand over the handle of the band wrench and after repositioning the band and getting a good vantage point to pull I began pulling on the wand. We initially thought we were making progress however the only thing we wound up doing was crushing the can in some more. Mind you the filter is still full of oil. I lowered the wrench down and took a look at it and we were actually destroying the wrench! The band and the attachment points were totally out of line and twisted.

Let's take up Mike Waltrip on that Lifetime Guarantee!

Realizing that we were not moving the filter with the wrench we had made it incumbent on us to get some heavier artillery – you guessed it, back to NAPA. I showed the counter man the wrench and although the wrench looked like a pretzel, the parts man gave me an eyebrow exclamation and we proceeded to get a better wrench.

We were shown a NAPA Pn# 77-3149, Nylon Strap Oil Filter Wrench. Made from an incredibly thick 2" band of Nylon and attached to a ½" drive socket bar we took the tool and with confidence left the building for the challenge! The new wrench cost $7.49 and I got $5.35 back.

Well first things first - "lunch time!"

Back under the motorhome depchief had the wrench in place around the filter and I fitted a 1/2" extension bar and 18" long 1/2" drive breaker bar into the drive of the tool. It was a little awkward getting the tool ready to pour the coals to it since we had to wrap up the strap as tight as possible before getting on the pipe. Once we got the strap in place and it never did slip at all, I was able to get some muscle into the pull. Depchief saw it first – the can moved! We repositioned the strap, got another bite on it, pulled and the can continued to move. My eyes were bugging out because I was pulling so hard.

We tried at that moment to move the can with the "C" wrench but it wouldn't fit to the bottom of the can anymore. Back on the strap wrench and more easily now we got the can to move some more and finally we got it to the point where we could remove the filter by hand.

Depchief placed a plastic shopping bag over the filter and continued to remove the filter and finally it fell into the pan! Tada!

I have to tell you that the Mobil 1 can held up as well as could be expected and once we got the nylon band on the can with a little horsepower the can came off. Man what a relief!

I came out from under the rig and filled up the 1060 and it does not hold a quart of oil it held about 7/8s of a quart. Depchief was still on the ground at this point so I gave him the pre-charged filter and he put it in place – hand tight plus a 1/4 to a 1/3 turn additional with the "C" wrench.

Finishing up, we added in 6 full quarts and that was that! The dip stick read "Full". Started the rig and no leaks all is well.

Now about that NAPA 1060 .... I'm still waiting for the warm fuzzy feeling you guys keep trumpeting about but it ain't happening!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sounds like you had a heck of a ADVENTURE. was it fun (no pun intended)
bmanSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bmanSC:
.... was it fun ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Looking back on it now I'd say yes BUT it took us 3 times longer than I wanted to spend changing my oil and filter.

Hey neighbor!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:24 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike;

I really enjoyed your post. I have been there and done that several times over the years. I operated a service station for about 25 years. I have just one question. Did you add any new words to your vocabulary or did you use all the familiar ones?

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:26 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, thanks for the oil change procedure instructions. You were a little vague on some of the steps involved, so would you be so kind as to provide us "greenhorn mechanics" with more detailed instructions? You were especially vague about the "LUNCH" procedures....

Thanks in advance, Glenn.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mutha:
You were especially vague about the "LUNCH" procedures..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Glenn, I must apologize for having omitted the details from this most important event.

Depchief and I proceeded out on Church Street here in Conway to grab a bit to eat. With my mechanical prowess somewhat diminished we decided that food is the answer to all things mechanical.

I had the Philly Steak and Cheese and depchief had the Italian Combo. I gladly bought us both lunch since depchief was acting as the transportation officer. I re-filled by soda cup with DP and we made our way back out to the (near to) farm.

All in all the lunch experience was by far the most important event of the day.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Petro:
Did you add any new words to your vocabulary or did you use all the familiar ones? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don, Actually I went with the tried and true words that impart great emotion under duress.
and last but not least

All's well that didn't actually look like it was all going to end well.

Ready for our trip to Branson!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
What??? No photos?!?!?!?

And no lube?!?!?!?

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Last night during Chat I asked depchief if he wanted to come over and help me change my oil and filter. Surely I thought that this might be as as much fun as watching my grass grow but this adventure sure did excallate into a major project that consumed talent and precious resources.

In hind sight - I think he should have stayed home!

Moral of the story ... "Don't ever volunteer for anything!"
Old 07-06-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom N:
What??? No photos?!?!?!? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_RED">Becuase you asked for it .......</span>

Pictures at Eleven!"

Aside from the oil hazzard, black paint was spawling off the side of the filter as we were attacking it with the metal band wrench. It was horrible I tell you!
Old 07-06-2007, 02:52 PM   #12

DriVer:

I had ALMOST as much fun with my brakes! My advice to you: NEVER follow close in trail of a trailer with cows (see my post on "Brakes").

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I WAS SO INTROLLED by your adventure I was yelling, your turning it the wrong way, that poor M-1 filter sure didn't deserve that distruction.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #14

DriVer, was the old M-1 filter originally installed way too tight, or was there rust or something that made it tough to remove? What did the rubber o-ring look like?

Tom