Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #1

Oil Leak from front wheel

My chassis is the Workhorse W22. For the last 7 years when checking the oil in the right front wheel hub all has been OK. On Friday I checked it and saw no oil thru the sight glass. Added oil and today(Sunday) it's almost dry again. Checked the tire and wheel on back and all is dry. Motorhome hasn't moved. What happened? Where's the oil going?
Any ideas? Thanks,
Jim
popcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #2

your neighbor is stealing it just to blow your mind.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
????? Got me wondering.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn View Post
My chassis is the Workhorse W22. For the last 7 years when checking the oil in the right front wheel hub all has been OK. On Friday I checked it and saw no oil thru the sight glass. Added oil and today(Sunday) it's almost dry again. Checked the tire and wheel on back and all is dry. Motorhome hasn't moved. What happened? Where's the oil going?
Any ideas? Thanks,
Jim
It takes a bit of time for the oil to level off within the hub. If there were no new signs of leakage, add more oil to the level required and re evaluate. Also be sure the coach is on level ground side to side.

How much time and driving in hot weather conditions was done between Fridays' check and the previous check?

There should be a tiny slit in the rubber center plug to serve as an air vent. Find it and poke a pin thru the slit to clear it. Or maybe just replace it..
Old 12-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #5

oil leak from front wheel

Oil I added yesterday stayed. I'm thinking it might have just gone down and what I added the first time just ran into the bearing. Level did not go down last night. Coach has sat since Oct prior to checking on Friday. It is on level ground. Did not know about the tiny slit in the rubber center plug. I'll try to find that. Should I want to replace that where are they available at? So it looks like I'm OK to go, but I'll keep checking it at fuel stops.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #6

leaking wheel bearing seal

Had one of these seals go out on a diesel pusher I used to have. Bought the kit at a local NAPA store - - the chevron seal AND a new race (sheet metal) were in the kit. Pretty easy to replace. I took the wheel and tire off and outside where I could really scrub it to get off the old oil and dirt that had collected during the leak.

Then I added oil back into the hub - - with the same results that the OP has reported - - it disappeared. Think I must have added oil an additional three times or so. In each case, it took several hours, or maybe a day for the oil to migrate back into/thru the bearing, and for it to finally seek it's resting level.

In the case of the OP however, I'd sure wonder what happened to the original oil level- - and be concerned that the seal DOES leak and needs replaced.

oub
Old 12-28-2013, 06:42 PM   #7

Oil leak from front wheel

Thanks for the replies. Made it to FL from MN today and all is well. Kept checking the oil level at fuel stops and the proper level held up. Looks like my panic attack is over!
Jim
Old 02-01-2014, 05:07 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I had a similar issue. Turned out to be the inside wheel bearing seal.
Monfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak