Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One aux fan is hard to turn

Guys,
I was looking the engine compartment a few days ago, the engine was running to cool it down. I noticed one aux fan turning in the wind but the other was not. I tried to turn the fan blade with my pen, it would turn but as soon as took my pen away it stopped.

My next idea is to put 12 volts to the fan to see it runs. Does it seem strange that the fan would not freewheel?
Thanks.
Magumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magumba View Post
My next idea is to put 12 volts to the fan to see it runs. Does it seem strange that the fan would not freewheel?
Thanks.
Magumba, may we have your year, make and model? It might help understand the situation.

Yes there have been discussions here about bad fans and you can get one of those though parts suppliers. They don't seem to be unique to Workhorse. When you start your engine both fans should spin up to the same speed. If one has a bad bearing and is unable to spin up, I expect that you will see it then. Not being able to force the fan blade to move using a pen of other object isn't a good thing.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G with a Workhorse chassis.
The fan will turn but is stiff the other free wheels very well. Since we've had the camper the temps have been cool and we are not climbing any big mountains since we're Pennsylvania.

Do I read you correctly that the electric fans turn on start then shut off depending on engine temperature?
Thanks.
Magumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:32 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Magumba,

With the engine cold--when you start your engine the fans should basicly be freewheeling from the air being pulled in from your engine driven clutch fan. The only time they will engage is with the temp switch telling them to start and apply additional air to help maintain a constant temp. You are right that you can disconnect and apply a 12 volt to the fan however they should be free wheeling I would check and see if something is restricting it or yes it could be a bearing going out.

WoodyK
woodyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Magumba, if you want to check the operation of the auxillary fans, turn on the windshield defroster at the dash control panel, this will automatically turn on the air conditioning system, and when the A/C system is on the fans will run. You can then compare the speed between the two fans. If one is slower, about the only common thing I am aware of that would cause this situation would be a bad bearing/bushing.

Dieselclacker
dieselclacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magumba View Post
Do I read you correctly that the electric fans turn on start then shut off depending on engine temperature?
Thanks.
Magumba, You've got some great follow on posts to your question. Here's the skinny on the fans.

ENGINE COOLING FANS
The main engine-cooling fan is mounted on the front of the water pump driven by the drive belt and positioned inside a fan shroud behind the radiator. This engine fan is a variable drive fan controlled by a temperature sensitive clutch. The clutch housing is a lightweight metal construction that is filled with silicone oil and hermetically sealed.

During periods of operation when the radiator discharge air temperature is low, below 150 degrees, the fan clutch limits fan speed to 800 - 1,400 RPM. As operating air temperatures increase, above 150 degrees, a temperature-sensitive bi-metal coil tightens to move the sliding valve plate, allowing the flow of silicone oil into the clutch chamber to engage the clutch, providing maximum fan speed.

When the main engine fan kicks in (very often when climbing an up-grade or when towing in hot ambient conditions) a roar can be heard. The fan requires additional horsepower and can even result in a downshift. Many owners mistake this noise as a transmission or engine problem whereas it is normal operation.

The electric condenser fan(s) also assists with engine cooling. The condenser fan(s) are mounted either on the air conditioning condenser or on the transmission external oil cooler. Both the condenser and external transmission oil cooler are mounted in front of the radiator. One large electronic fan was utilized on all chassis prior to 2001 model year, and all chassis 15,000 lb. GVWR or lower, or if equipped with a 6.5L diesel engine regardless of model year.

All other chassis 2001 model year or newer will be equipped with two smaller electric fans, see adjacent diagram. These fan(s) are controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and operate whenever the dash air conditioning compressor is operating or if the engine temperature is above 221 degrees F.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote