RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #1

Well I ordered the PowerPack for my W22 today, it is kit 49502 without the ram air. Including delivery to MI I'm going to pay under $1150. I could'nt find anyone else close to that price, Banks wanted $1800 plus for the same kit. Waiting for about three months to get a chance to install it and post the results, going to Florida in the spring. If anyone is interested in one of these kits pm me, I understand there are three more!

cheesemanmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #2

Well I ordered the PowerPack for my W22 today, it is kit 49502 without the ram air. Including delivery to MI I'm going to pay under $1150. I could'nt find anyone else close to that price, Banks wanted $1800 plus for the same kit. Waiting for about three months to get a chance to install it and post the results, going to Florida in the spring. If anyone is interested in one of these kits pm me, I understand there are three more!

Old 12-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I gather you found a discounted source for the W22 Banks kit? $1150 vs $1800 is quite a bargain. Wonder if it "fell off the back of a truck"?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 07:17 PM   #4

I guess that is a bargain price. I am having the whole kid installed in a few weeks at the Banks factory in Azuza - total is about $2800 including headers, ram air, etc.

'05 GMC Canyon Crew Cab 4WD, Aluminator, Brake Buddy
Jim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 04:48 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">jdingwall </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm interested in your results, post them after the installation. Hope that you will be happy, I was considering the ultrapower but, when I found this system at a discount I though I would start with Banks.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:10 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cheesemanmax:
I'm interested in your results, post them after the installation. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey cheesemanmax, I've had the full Banks system (headers, exhaust, ram air, etc.)on my '05, W22 for about 6 months now. The performance improvements are not as dramatic as they are for the Ford V10, but they are noticeable. My fuel economy improved by about Ĺ mile per gallon over the same route, pulling the same toad (Jeep Liberty). Power improvements are significant, but generally at the higher rpm's, making a BIG difference when pulling a 4000lb toad over Wolf Creek Pass. One thing I noticed immediately; the engine seems to breathe easier, with quicker throttle response. As a testimony to the improvements WH has included some of these modifications on their SSC model.

Hope this helps.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:47 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm getting the ultra power and will be picking up my RV on Tuesday. From what I have read I should see some real improvement. I'll let you furrow slates this week my results. I cant wait!
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 09:52 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
I'm sorry, the last sentence above should read:I'll let you know my results later this week. (my tablet pc sometimes does its own thing).
Old 12-25-2005, 11:26 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi Dennis;

Can I ask you why you didn't get your '05 38R on a W24 chassis??

The W24 option was $4530 MSRP. At 73% of MSRP it would have been $3300.

The W24 is standard on the 38R in '06.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 04:03 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Tom,
I purchased my RV off the lot from Sky River RV in Paso Robles CA. I was attending an Airstream Rally with our 00 Landyacht. My wife fell in love with the floorplan and we sure made a lot of enemies by leaving the Airstream club. The unit was built in August of 04 so I don't think we had a W24 option. Make sense? I really am pleased with it and feel really lucky I don't have a lot of problems. (Just one sticky leveler at this point).
I'm going to GNR in July so maybe I'll fall in love with a W25.5 or pusher then? I hope you had a great Christmas.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:43 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Okay you all asked me to let you know my results. Mike Bronzini from Brazel's RV Performance (http://www.brazelsrv.com) told me I would be extremely happy if I got the Ultrapower Performance Package for my 05 Itasca 38R. I went for the (almost) full package and obtained the following items:

∑ Two Free Flowing Mufflers
∑ Re-gapped Sparkplugs
∑ High Performance Ignition Wires
∑ Re-programmed Electronic Control Module (ECM)

I did NOT get a new air filter as it is still a prototype for my RV until January 06. Mike tossed-in the ECM programming in exchange for sharing my results.

Here are my results:

Horse Engine Miles
Power Torque Per
@wheels @wheels Gallon

BEFORE 275 390 7.6

AFTER 330 460 9.0

Increase 55 HP 70 ET 1.4 MPG

% 20.0% 17.9% 18.4%

I was really just hoping to increase my mileage to "sort of" justify the expense but I am amazed at the results. I traveled from Centralia, Washington to Chico, California and just "flew" over the hills. I used to hate the climbs as I would pump along at 35 mph but with the Ultrapower Performance I looked forward to the next mountain. I took great pleasure in passing all those rigs at 50 mph all the way to the peak. What a blast and what a rush. All of this and with an almost 20% increase in miles per gallon. Best investment I ever made!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:52 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The unit was built in August of 04 so I don't think we had a W24 option. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The W24 was an available option through out the complete 2005 model year run in the 38R.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:23 AM   #13

I opened my Bank Powerpac today, well it looks like a heavy duty system. I see why it has an unlimited mileage lifetime guarantee. After my wife simmers over the $s, I will have to go with the ultrapower ECM programming. Then I should be able to get the front wheels off the ground
Old 12-31-2005, 11:59 AM   #14

Can't wait to have Brazels take care of mine at Quartzsite rally! Sounds awesome !

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote