Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 10:41 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Overfilled Transmission leaking

I discovered that my Allison 1000 transmission is leaking after mountain driving from Yuma to El Cajon CA.. The cold fluid level is just below the the hot hash marks. Checking again after a short trip to dump and with the transmission temp approx 115 the level is 1/2" above the hot hash marks. I had the fluid changed 2,800 miles ago in Holland MI. They may have overfilled. I can't pinpoint the leak but the drips are from the front pan bolts and from the drive shaft carrier at the rear of the transmission. The tranny temp did not go above 180 on the mountain grades. Not sure how long it has been leaking as this is the first time the coach has been parked on payment since leaving MI.
The nearest certified Allison service is 30 miles away but a recommanded local transmission service is nearby. Not sure about a course of action. Any feed back?
Thanks.
Jack H
2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W
2009 Honda Fit Sport
chili's trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #2

IF IT IS OVER full then it will leak out the over flow tube on top of the tranny. I would say get it serviced as soon as you can over filling can hurt a tranny just as bad as under filling. hope this helps.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have to assume you are checking it with the engine running, the brake set and the shift lever in Park?

Who did the change? Were they familiar with the Allison 1000? I change my own and you do not drop the pan. There is a drain plug just like your engine oil has.

Did they change the spin on transmission filter cartridge?
That should be changed after the first 5,000 miles. It too looks like a regular oil filter except it is orange. I change mine at every fluid change

The fact your pan is leaking makes me wonder if they dropped the pan. Allison says never to do that unless you are repairing the transmission.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
My thoughts go along with an over serviced condition. The fact that you got a over serviced indication after a short drive would back that up. The unit should be driven at some length to bring the temp up to operating range.

BTW, how are you measuring your transmission temp? On my unit 175-180 degrees are normal flat land temps, possibly lower winter OAT is keeping your temps down.

When my transmission was over-serviced, it blew fluid out the top breather.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

More info. Temperature from Scan gauge. Checked with engine running cold and warm (110-115). Drip from pan bolts could be runoff. Conserned that if the fluid came from breather why still leaking? Holland Motor home did service. (second change) and will "help with cost".
Have appointment tomorrow at Valley trans here in El Cajon. Will have them drain overfill and give diagnosis. Repair will have to be at Allison Service center.

Thanks for your feed back.
Jack H
Old 02-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Just out of curiosity, have you switched to TranSynd?

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I have to assume you are checking it with the engine running, the brake set and the shift lever in Park?

Who did the change? Were they familiar with the Allison 1000? I change my own and you do not drop the pan. There is a drain plug just like your engine oil has.

Did they change the spin on transmission filter cartridge?
That should be changed after the first 5,000 miles. It too looks like a regular oil filter except it is orange. I change mine at every fluid change

The fact your pan is leaking makes me wonder if they dropped the pan. Allison says never to do that unless you are repairing the transmission.
I agree with Arch.
I would go to an authorized Allison Facility. If the facility that did the work is also an Authorized Dealer, that may help with warrantee and cost to solve the problem. If you use TranSynd, the fluid is good for 5 years or 50K miles.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred and Bonnie View Post
Just out of curiosity, have you switched to TranSynd?

Fred
Yes. 2 changes 15k apart.
Thanks.
Jack H
Old 02-18-2014, 01:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I would post your question and concerns over on the Allison Category where Tom Johnson hangs out who is Mr. TranSynd and retired from Allison.

Allison Transmission Forum - iRV2 Forums

I am sure you will get the best recommendation from him.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I would post your question and concerns over on the Allison Category where Tom Johnson hangs out who is Mr. TranSynd and retired from Allison.

Allison Transmission Forum - iRV2 Forums

I am sure you will get the best recommendation from him.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks. I first posted on the Allison forum.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #11

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili's trip View Post
I discovered that my Allison 1000 transmission is leaking after mountain driving from Yuma to El Cajon CA.. The cold fluid level is just below the the hot hash marks. Checking again after a short trip to dump and with the transmission temp approx 115 the level is 1/2" above the hot hash marks. I had the fluid changed 2,800 miles ago in Holland MI. They may have overfilled. I can't pinpoint the leak but the drips are from the front pan bolts and from the drive shaft carrier at the rear of the transmission. The tranny temp did not go above 180 on the mountain grades. Not sure how long it has been leaking as this is the first time the coach has been parked on payment since leaving MI.
The nearest certified Allison service is 30 miles away but a recommanded local transmission service is nearby. Not sure about a course of action. Any feed back?
Thanks.
Jack H
This is a follow up to leaking problem of the Allison transmission in my 2005 Fleetwood Bounder. I had the leak diagnosed by Inland Kenworth El Cajon CA a certified Aliison service center. ($155) They determined that Transmission was over filled and drained 1.5 qts to bring level back to normal, this is after approx 2,800 since serviced The leaks are coming from 3 areas - the linkage seal, the pan gasket, and the rear transmission seal. The emergency brake shoes are impregnated with fluid and will need to be replaced. The transmission showed evidence of overflow from the top vent.
They want to keep the rig for 2 days and a major service
THe leak disappeared for a week but now has a very slow drip. I need to head east this week over the mountains and not certain of a course of action.
Thanks.
Jack H
Old 03-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
If you are heading back to Holland MI, I know what MY course of action would be!

I would suggest that you keep all records, receipts, documents, text messages, phone messages etc.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, transmission