Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #1

I understand this is a subjective question, but here it goes. I would like an idea of the average mileage out of a workhorse engine before an overhaul is necessary. 2003 or newer vintage. Also the same question regarding the brakes.

Thanks for your responses.

jcghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:40 AM   #2

I understand this is a subjective question, but here it goes. I would like an idea of the average mileage out of a workhorse engine before an overhaul is necessary. 2003 or newer vintage. Also the same question regarding the brakes.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't know about the engine, but the brakes are a real problem and very expensive to repair. I do not recommend a Workhorse.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #4

Just my $.02 here but...

My BIL has one and loves it. I would expect that 200K-300K would be reasonable before needing major things. Heck, our '95 F150 with a little 302 has 212K and runs great...although it needs the auto-tranny rebuilt now as we lost 1st gear yesterday...

FWIW, 200K-300K for a diesel is just about where they get broken in...depending on the model. Ours is rated at 500K before needing the cylinder head "touched" and 1000K before a long block (full) rebuild.

YMMV of course...

Re: the brakes, that depends on IF you have the "proble" that has been documented. Some suggest to remove the ABS system as that is the culprit. Personally, I would try to find "the" solution to the problem before disabling a potentially helpfull system...unless it is plagued with design and execution problems.

Also, my FIL just bought a low mileage '02 W22 chassis and hasn't had any of these issues...yet...
Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jcghost:

Thanks for your responses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I can only speak for myself. 3 failures with less than 12,500 miles.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I expect 200,000 miles on the 8.1 without major repair with normal maintance. The brakes should not need replacement till 30-50000 miles, weight and driving style dependent. There have been problems with some WH brakes.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:19 AM   #7

Sorry, I forgot to mention it's gas.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I can only speak for myself. I have a 2003 chassis with over 73,000 miles on it and every time I drive my motorhome it drives better than the day I bought it. I surely do enjoy driving my motorhome.

Have I had issues; "Yes", was I able to resolve those issues; "Yes", would I buy another Workhorse? "Yes I would."
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rickandcheryl:
Don't know about the engine, but the brakes are a real problem and very expensive to repair. I do not recommend a Workhorse. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> how many failures have you had? If you dont mind me asking, how much have you "invested" to repair the brakes?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, at what mileage did you replace your brake pads? I have 42,500 on my 2004 W22 and have had very minor problems.
roy goble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I own a W22 Workhorse chassis and find it to be a much better chassis than the Ford (which I owned previously). There have been very few engine failures reported on this or the RV.net forum. I recall reading that GM said you shouldn't need to do anything other than oil changes for 100,000 miles and that it was designed to run 200,000 miles. Not many RV's will ever see this sort of mileage.

Some Workhorse owners have had brake issues howeve, I have 30,000 miles on mine with zero problems and the brake pads still look like new.

The 8.1l has great power and mated to the Allison it is a far better package than the Ford, which must be run almost 1000RPM's higher to make the same power.

I've had both but would purchase Workhorse again, likely the UFO chassis (rear engine)

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:56 PM   #12
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by roy goble:
Driver, at what mileage did you replace your brake pads? I have 42,500 on my 2004 W22 and have had very minor problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I replaced my brake pads at 65,000 miles however in hind sight I should have done it a little sooner because I scored my R/R rotor.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:05 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jcghost:
I would like an idea of the average mileage out of a workhorse engine before an overhaul is necessary.Thanks for your responses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>A LOT more than I'll ever put on it.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by quikduk:
Personally, I would try to find "the" solution to the problem before disabling a potentially helpfull system... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Great idea. Now please tell us exactly what you would do to find "the" solution? Those of us that have the problem have been trying for a year or more with no success, but hopefully you have the answer.