Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 06:05 AM   #1

P-30 Chassis Starter Issues

Good morning
New Here so hopefully I am doing this correctly. Also new to RV. I have a 2001 Coachman Pathfinder sport Class A P-30 Chassis and Chevy Workhorse Drive Train.
When I turn the key to start I have dash instrument lights and I here a click.
I checked the Cables to the battery and appear to be great connections. Recharged the the battery to be sure.
It had been working with no issues.
I moved the shifter from park to neutral and heard the (assuming the electric brake motor) Returned to park and the same thing turn the key click and lights on
I went an bought a new starter but thought I would check any other possibilities before installing.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
klewisking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:30 AM   #2

Try to start it in neutral. Hold the key in the start position and wiggle the shifter. The clicking you hear may just be a relay under the dash. Have someone outside on the right side where the starter is and listen for the click on the starter. You could have a bad ignition switch , neutral safety switch , bad connection on the starter or bad starter/solenoid . You could jumper the starter by connecting a jumper wire to the small terminal on the starter to the positive of the battery. Be sure the vehicle is in PARK .
Old 01-22-2019, 06:46 AM   #3

While you have your foot on brake and in park hold the key in the start position and have a friend tap the starter solenoid with a hammer, if it cranks and starts replace the starter.
randyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:55 AM   #4

Ask a moderator to move your post to the Workhorse chassis forum, you will find many P-30 knowledgeable people there. I think I read posts about bad ignition switch on that model
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thread moved.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, that electric motor you hear when in neutral is your "AutoPark" hydraulic pump for the parking brake release - this should run for about 5 sec (unless the Yellow Park Brake triangle is pulled. Listen for it every time you go out of Park.

Here are a couple links to info that may assist you. The manuals are large .pdf files - I download them to a laptop or removable disk to have handy:

Manuals: Workhorse Technical Info
Starter Switch Info: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/stran...ch-284988.html
OMEY's handy site: Oemy's Web Site - Tech Tips

VIN reference (You may have a 2000 P32 chassis under your 2001 motorhome: https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/inde...formation_id=5
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:33 AM   #7

Check your interlock module on the side of the transmission outboard on the left (driver) side. If it has worked loose, you need to push it back into place.
The starter won't work if this unit is not pushed all the way into the side of the transmission.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewisking View Post
Good morning
New Here so hopefully I am doing this correctly. Also new to RV. I have a 2001 Coachman Pathfinder sport Class A P-30 Chassis and Chevy Workhorse Drive Train.
I checked the Cables to the battery and appear to be great connections. Recharged the the battery to be sure.
I moved the shifter from park to neutral and heard the (assuming the electric brake motor) Returned to park and the same thing turn the key click and lights on
I went an bought a new starter but thought I would check any other possibilities before installing.
I had the same issue.. Turned out to be the ground strap between the chassis and the motor. I measured 7 volts between the motor and frame when starting.

I fixed the problem for good. I went to the local car parts store and got the longest/heavy battery cable with lugs on both end. I took out a starter bold, cleaned the flange. Installed the cable with the starter bolt with out star lock washer. Roughted the cable up the C channel. The cable did not reach the battery. Found a empty hole in the frame near the end of the cable. I measured the distance from the battery negative post and the frame hole. Back to parts store for a another cable to fit the battery.
Cleaned the frame of dirt, rust and paint. Installed the cables to the hole with a outside star washer between the cable ends and the frame to get the best connections to the frame. I coated the bolts and cable connected with Ignition Sealer (a varnish like paint) to seal the connections. Starter now spins the motor with great authority.

PS. The outside star washer are what the military require for ground connection.. They work great. Fixed a number of ground problems with then.
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:16 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lorang View Post
Installed the cable with the starter bolt with out star lock washer.

PS. The outside star washer are what the military require for ground connection.. They work great. Fixed a number of ground problems with then.
Would you please clarify this. Seems you did not use a star lock washer but your military experience recommends it.

P.S. my battery cables all have lock washers but not star washers.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
Would you please clarify this. Seems you did not use a star lock washer but your military experience recommends it.

P.S. my battery cables all have lock washers but not star washers.
The battery cable connection to the battery may not but I like using the star washer the teeth that point out on all my ground connections.

I even find factory wiring lugs with built in barbs on my Jeep for ground connections.

I worked for Lockheed Martin in one of there electronics plants.
We had to use the star washer on all wire to ground connections.
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks. I like to use star washers too, but I was just wondering about you comment. P.S. I retired from LM 7 years ago.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewisking View Post
Good morning
Take the ground strap off of the left head to frame and clean them both up real good, before replacing the starter. A couple of my older P30 chassis coachs had this problem.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, starter