Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2010, 11:45 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
P-30 Soft Brakes?

Hello, have bought a small 97 winnebago a-class on a Chevrolet 7.4 chassis, with 16 inch wheels,
Brakes feel soft and pedal goes almost to the floor when you want to really stop.
ive put new flexi hoses on, new pads, new master cylinder, and bled the sytem out about a million times! have vacume bled it to. also have fully serviced and adjusted the rear drums.
still the pedal still seems to have a lot of play and feels soft. its driving me nuts! Are they all like this or do i have a problem? also, it starts to pull to the right after about 20 mins driving when breaking. then the next day it'll break straight again!
jcramphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #2

jc,

I have a shop manual for my '99 GM chassis (with 4 wheel disc brakes and 19.5 in wheels)). There is a diagram illustrating the brake pedal free travel, and this is shown as six inches max. (!). Your disc / drum combination might be similar.

Also, the pulling to one side may be due to the caliper sliders needing lubrication. Many cars and trucks with disc brakes use the lowest cost construction possible; there is only one piston in the caliper, rather than one per side and it must slide sideways under braking so the rigid side also pushes on it's brake pad. The calipers must be free to slide - and yours may be binding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcramphorn View Post
Hello, have bought a small 97 winnebago a-class on a Chevrolet 7.4 chassis, with 16 inch wheels,
Brakes feel soft and pedal goes almost to the floor when you want to really stop.
ive put new flexi hoses on, new pads, new master cylinder, and bled the sytem out about a million times! have vacume bled it to. also have fully serviced and adjusted the rear drums.
still the pedal still seems to have a lot of play and feels soft. its driving me nuts! Are they all like this or do i have a problem? also, it starts to pull to the right after about 20 mins driving when breaking. then the next day it'll break straight again!
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Do you have anti-vibration (anti-squeel) backing on the front pads? This will really affect braking performance on that chassis.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm used to it but I think all of the P series chassis leave a lot to be desired with the brakes. If it was'nt for the W brake problems, I'd probably complain more but at least they don't stick and overheat. The pedal is about the size of a go-kart brake pedal and mine travels at least half way to the floor before engaging, and I have to stand on it pretty good. I've never had to make an emergency stop and am not going to 'just for practice', but I would be surprised if it could prove to me that it needs anti lock brakes, and it's been this way since it was new.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 08:21 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I am planning to do a brake grade update on a Monte Carlo SS. I am going from 10.5" with a single piston caliper and rear drum brakes to 12" front rotors with C5 Corvette or LS1 Camaro calipers. The rear rotors/calipers will either be 11.5" or 12" and dual piston calipers with E brakes. What has this got to do with a P32... Well when you make this change you usually end up with a soft brake pedal. The solution is to replace the G body single diaphragm brake booster with a B body dual diaphragm version and a bigger master cylinder B body.

Lastly check to see that you have enough vacuum to run the power brake booster.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
Do you have anti-vibration (anti-squeel) backing on the front pads? This will really affect braking performance on that chassis.
Jon,
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote