Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #1

P 32 brake lines

Since purchasing our used 2004 (2003 p 32 chasis) i've been reading all I can about this model. I was thinking about doing the brake fluid flush. So I finally found the resevior and am considering getting a vacuum flush unit from Harbor freight.
But i also read that a unit this old should probably have the rubber lines changed as well.

First. Anyway of telling if this is really needed and
Second. Should I really expect to pay $177.00 each for the fronts and $77.00 each for the rears ???

This price was found on " Ultra RV Products.com"

Thanks for your input

Chris
Shelbydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #2

Oh and sorry.....2004 Itasca Sunova with Vortec 8.1
Shelbydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
On mine there was a 'tell' that one of the rubber lines needed replacing because the the right front brake was a bit slow to apply (about 1 second behind the left front, which caused a pull to the left until the right brake applied). And then it was also a bit slow to release and 'drug' for a few minutes after I let off the pedal. In my case it was because the line had partially collapsed and fluid wasn't moving correctly. Replaced the line and the brakes were fine.
Since I'm not a brake guy I took mine to a truck repair place and let them do it. The replaced both front lines and said the back lines were sill fine.
Mine was a '96, 20 years old at the time.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #4

Check with NAPA or any auto parts store. They should sell standard length brake lines/hoses to do the job. You may have to remove a brake line and take it in for reference. Also inspect the metal lines, if heavy scale rust is present, it might be best to replace them too.
My dad's borrowed Michigan (salt exposed) 2000 Chevy truck rusted out a brake line last summer when I pulled into his driveway. Thank goodness for spaceous front lawns!!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 06:34 PM   #5

ULtraRV sells the stock Workhorse part, but if you go to OEMy's site, you will find the standard part numbers that are far cheaper.
Oemy's Web Site - RV Chassis Parts Xref P Series
for P32 parts.
Brakes hoses Raybestos
left front - BH383396
right front - BH383395
or 10-523 and 10-530 from Mill Supply

Rockauto.com has the Rabestos lines for about $28 each. I paid for a Workhorse part for the left front, but will use the Rabestos part number for the right front. Photos look identical. You can use the same site for rear brake lines as well.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW_Al View Post
ULtraRV sells the stock Workhorse part, but if you go to OEMy's site, you will find the standard part numbers that are far cheaper.
Oemy's Web Site - RV Chassis Parts Xref P Series
for P32 parts.
Brakes hoses Raybestos
left front - BH383396
right front - BH383395
or 10-523 and 10-530 from Mill Supply

Rockauto.com has the Rabestos lines for about $28 each. I paid for a Workhorse part for the left front, but will use the Rabestos part number for the right front. Photos look identical. You can use the same site for rear brake lines as well.
The Ultra RV brake lines are NOT new old stock WH, they get them from another supplier, they are china made brake lines, you can zoom in on the picture and see they are the same ones you can purchase at Rock Auto, under the Dorman Brand.

For the W22 front brake lines, if you order from Rock Auto or Amazon (Dorman) brand, they will not come with the 90 degree elbow.

You can get the 90 degree elbow made at any hydraulic shop, I think I paid $15 a piece for mine.

Its unfortunate that I could not find an already made Brake hose for the W22 made in the USA.

I brought up the price of the front brake line to Ultra RV and they said they would look into it. They said they don't make that much off of the $177 brake line, so it must be the supplier that has marked up the price that much.

I am not trying to "bash" Ultra RV, I still think they are an asset to the WH community and I know they need to make money, but I thought that the brake lines were outrageously priced.

RVs are already expensive enough, so thought I would post this to help others save a little.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbydo View Post
Since purchasing our used 2004 (2003 p 32 chasis) i've been reading all I can about this model. I was thinking about doing the brake fluid flush. So I finally found the resevior and am considering getting a vacuum flush unit from Harbor freight.
But i also read that a unit this old should probably have the rubber lines changed as well.

First. Anyway of telling if this is really needed and
Second. Should I really expect to pay $177.00 each for the fronts and $77.00 each for the rears ???

This price was found on " Ultra RV Products.com"

Thanks for your input

Chris
I had an Aerbus with hydraulic and both fronts failed after 10 years. One kept the brakes applied for a couple of miles. It was easy to find at an autoparts and was cheap at the time. And yes, change your brake fluid on all four corners to prevent further damages...
Dynasty_09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post

I brought up the price of the front brake line to Ultra RV and they said they would look into it. They said they don't make that much off of the $177 brake line, so it must be the supplier that has marked up the price that much.

I am not trying to "bash" Ultra RV, I still think they are an asset to the WH community and I know they need to make money, but I thought that the brake lines were outrageously priced.

RVs are already expensive enough, so thought I would post this to help others save a little.

It is common practice in the auto industry that parts get a 100% markup everytime the part gets moved. Manufacture charges X, Warehouse distribution charges 2X, Auto store or Dealer charges 3X. For example a pickup truck tailgate cable is contracted from the supplier for $1.25 and sold at the Dealer for $20. Every part handler along the way would double the price as standard practice. The dealer at the end of the line had a $10 markup!!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake