Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #1

P-32 Towing Capacity...I have to exceed it~~~

Hi guys! I have a 5600 pound boat and a 5000 pound capacity~~~ I don't have a lot of options. How much leeway do you think the Mfg. builds into their rating???
Thanks
Mykidsdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2018, 04:51 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

That 5000 lb towing capacity was figured when everything was new on your rig. Tires age, things rust, whatever leeway that is engineered into the capacities could well be eaten by age or previous stresses. All the things that go into computing those limits are only as strong as the weakest component in the whole system. You're talking about a more than 10% excess of the stated capacities. I hope you have deep pockets to replace a transmission, rear end, or whatever may fail due to the overloading.

Make sure you have safety chains attached to your RV frame, not just the loops on the receiver.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykidsdaddy View Post
Hi guys! I have a 5600 pound boat and a 5000 pound capacity~~~ I don't have a lot of options. How much leeway do you think the Mfg. builds into their rating???
Thanks
AFAIK, only the 17,000 GVWR P32 has 5,000 lbs added to make the GCVWR of 22,000 pounds, which is the TOTAL weight to be carried and towed. Assuming yours is the 17K model, you CAN tow the boat as long as the coach actually weighs 16,400 pounds or less when fully loaded and you in it. I certainly hope your 5,600 pound boat and trailer has either electric or hydralic brakes on the trailer, otherwise you are taking a huge risk pulling it. The P32 chassis is not known for having powerful braking performance even when new, and the last P32 was made in 2005, so yours is at least 13 years old. Lastly, let me suggest you make SURE the hitch and the frame extension added to the chassis by the coach builder is rated for towing that much weight. You may find that the frame extension to which the hitch is likely bolted is the weakest link in the entire set up.
Personally, I would not do what you say you plan to do, and hope you have a good lawyer on call.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #4

I hadda 34 foot 1999 Daybreak 3270 454CI on the Chevy chassis (P30). 5000lb hitch. I dragged a Mercury Mariner Hybrid on an older dolly w/brakes. I pulled this all over the US. No issues.

Didn't wanna climb too much but we made it. Hadda hold it in first gear climbing out of Raton, NM. I jus' took it easy. 55mph all the time in the right lane and braked well in advance. Two years, 30K miles.

The third year I pulled an aluminum enclosed trailer w/two heavy mtcyls to Chalma, NM. Just went slow...no problems. One year, 15K miles.

The NEXT year I purchased the proper equipment. Dually diesel p/u and a 44 foot toy hauler. Much better.
More power...dragging 21,000lbs. I still go slow however. I've seen too many blow-outs.

Sometimes ya' jus' have to go with what you have. Dangerous? We didn't think so.

I think you're fine and within reasonable limits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	daybreak.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	202990   Click image for larger version

Name:	yellowstone.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	202991  

Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykidsdaddy View Post
Thanks
First off, welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a signature to your user profile. It usually contains information about your coach (and toad, etc.) that you want people to know, and would be tedious to type into each post you make. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

You do have options- including not to tow over your ratings. I'm assuming no one is currently holding you or your family hostage over the issue.

If you read enough posts you'll find there are some folks who claim: "I pulled 12,000 pounds behind a fully-loaded gas coach rated for 5,000 from coast-to-coast for 14 years and never had any problems at all." Every now and then, there will be a post that says: "I tried that and the whole thing came apart in Arizona. It was a miracle no one was killed." Thing is, the guy in the second group started out as a guy in the first group.

As I said, you have options.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:55 PM   #6

Haha I was gonna ask how to tell what chassis I have. It's a 99 Damon daybreak 3270 on the workhorse platform. Think my question has been answered
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
Haha I was gonna ask how to tell what chassis I have. It's a 99 Damon daybreak 3270 on the workhorse platform. Think my question has been answered
If you post your VIN, Ed Gray can tell you much about your Workhorse chassis.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-17-2018, 05:03 PM   #8

Is this my vin?Click image for larger version

Name:	20180517_170136.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	203121
Old 05-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Is this my vin?Attachment 203121
Does that number match what is on your title or registration? On the wall plate next to the driver's seat?

Bob & Donna
Old 05-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #10

That was right next to the drivers seat. I'll go look again and see what else I can find
Old 05-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Is this my vin?Attachment 203121
Your VIN# is immediately below the black line. Because it begins with "1GB" and because the sixth character is a "3", I can assure you it is a GM (Chevy) P32 chassis. All those three character things listed below are the SPID codes, which are used to identify many of the parts used to build it. You will see one of them is "J71", which is the model of the AAPB you have.

Because it was built by GM, not Workhorse, I can't get the build sheet for you.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #12

Well i appreciate the info. thank you
Old 05-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
If you read enough posts you'll find there are some folks who claim: "I pulled 12,000 pounds behind a fully-loaded gas coach rated for 5,000 from coast-to-coast for 14 years and never had any problems at all." Every now and then, there will be a post that says: "I tried that and the whole thing came apart in Arizona. It was a miracle no one was killed." Thing is, the guy in the second group started out as a guy in the first group...
I'm pretty sure I've never seen a post from the second group. Can you post a link? The only reports of stuff breaking I have ever read have not been blamed on overloading.

Now having said that, one of the biggest problems the OP will have is achieving proper tongue weight for good handling, without overloading the rear axle. Because of the overhang, the weight on the rear axle is more than just the tongue weight. If you picture the leverage, the tongue weight actually removes some weight off the front axle and puts it on the rear. With common overhangs, 500 lbs on the rear axle typically puts about 800 lbs on the axle. Tires are often the weakest link when overloading. If you try it, make sure you weight your coach fully loaded with the boat attached. You might be surprised at where you are at.

My first coach had a tow rating of 2000 lbs. This was primarily believed to be the result of being front wheel drive. Experience showed that 3000 lbs was OK without modifications. I towed 4600 lbs, and found it to affect handling. I was able to add a rear trac bar, which took care of the handling issue. I did break the differential twice, but that was a result of doubling the horse power, not towing. It didn't wear, but rather broke teeth out of the ring gear due to case flex. The second time I rebuilt it, I reinforced the diff case.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:07 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
I'm pretty sure I've never seen a post from the second group. Can you post a link? The only reports of stuff breaking I have ever read have not been blamed on overloading.

Now having said that, one of the biggest problems the OP will have is achieving proper tongue weight for good handling, without overloading the rear axle. Because of the overhang, the weight on the rear axle is more than just the tongue weight. If you picture the leverage, the tongue weight actually removes some weight off the front axle and puts it on the rear. With common overhangs, 500 lbs on the rear axle typically puts about 800 lbs on the axle. Tires are often the weakest link when overloading. If you try it, make sure you weight your coach fully loaded with the boat attached. You might be surprised at where you are at.

My first coach had a tow rating of 2000 lbs. This was primarily believed to be the result of being front wheel drive. Experience showed that 3000 lbs was OK without modifications. I towed 4600 lbs, and found it to affect handling. I was able to add a rear trac bar, which took care of the handling issue. I did break the differential twice, but that was a result of doubling the horse power, not towing. It didn't wear, but rather broke teeth out of the ring gear due to case flex. The second time I rebuilt it, I reinforced the diff case.
So what your saying is be prepared to repair your RV if you exceed limits? Not everyone has the skills to reinforce a differential case and all the other mods you had to do as a result of towing over specified limits.

Bob & Donna

Tags
tow, towing