RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2007, 03:40 AM   #1

I went to have transmission service done on my P-32 w/ 8.1, 4 speed trans. Thw Chevy/Workhorse dealer said they don't drop the pan to clean it and replace the filter, but now do a "power flush". I didn't let them do it as I feel it would just pick up all the stuff in the pan and filter and spread it through the trans. By the way they wanted $160.00 to the power flush.
Any one ever do this?

Greg

oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2007, 03:40 AM   #2

I went to have transmission service done on my P-32 w/ 8.1, 4 speed trans. Thw Chevy/Workhorse dealer said they don't drop the pan to clean it and replace the filter, but now do a "power flush". I didn't let them do it as I feel it would just pick up all the stuff in the pan and filter and spread it through the trans. By the way they wanted $160.00 to the power flush.
Any one ever do this?

Greg

oldpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:59 AM   #3

Greg

When I was planning on changeing the fluid in my Allison 1000 to Transynd synthetic, I called Allison and asked about power flushing. They EMPHATICALLY told me NOT to power flush the transmission because it can do damage. They told me to just drain it and replace the filter. Then do it again within 12 months or 12,000 miles and I would end up with over 90% synthetic in the tranny.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:30 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi oldpa,

I perform transmission "flushes" very often and while Allison doesn't recommend this be done it is OK for your transmission as it is a GM Hydramatic 4L80-E (or possibly a 4L85-E).

The equipment used at our shop does NOT "power flush" or pressurize the transmission fluid circuits. It is simply an exchange unit that holds 16 quarts of new fluid and is connected inline with one of the transmission cooler lines. The engine is started and as the transmission pump circulates the fluid normally through the cooler lines the old fluid goes into the machine and new fluid goes back into the transmission. (There's a separation chamber inside the machine.) Nothing gets stirred up inside the trans. pan or filter anymore than just normal operation.

This really does a great job of getting ALL the fluid exchanged in one shot. If you drop the pan, you only get out about 1/2 the fluid.

After the fluid exchange is done you can drop the pan and change the internal filter if so desired for a very complete job. In most cases this really isn't necessary as a normally operating automatic transmission should not be producing any type of debris that would clog a filter.

I've worked on GM transmissions for well over 20 years and when this fluid exchange system was introduced to me I was very skeptical. Now that I know how well it works, I've recommended it to my customers and even done it to my own vehicles.

I'm not sure about the pricing, but I think we get $139.95 for this service where I work. (Just for the fluid exchange with no filter replacement.) However, this price is for light trucks and cars, not a motorhome.
Horsepowerfan is offline   Reply With Quote