Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Products View Post
That’s a bit of a rare duck you have there. P42 step van chassis with a motor home plunked on top, it must be a short little coach.
AND, that chassis was built by GM in Detroit, not by Workhorse in Union City, IN.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 06:22 PM   #72

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The motor home is a 1999 Isata. It is 28'6" long with a 192" wheelbase, a chevy 5.7 v-8 mpfi, and the designation is P32 in the vin number. My understanding is that any P32 designation indicates that it is a motor home chassis. However, when I called the Workhorse service number, they said it was a commercial chassis, not a motor home chassis. Other than the drivers and passengers seats placement, I can't find any difference between the 2. The Dynamax/Isata brochure refers to the chassis as a "CP31442 commercial rail chassis" I have found out that the CP31442 is known as a 'forward control' chassis, whereas other numbers are considered motor home chassis. So now my question is what is the difference between a forward control chassis and a motor home chassis? Wow!!
Jim
jimandtere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:07 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandtere View Post
The motor home is a 1999 Isata. It is 28'6" long with a 192" wheelbase, a chevy 5.7 v-8 mpfi, and the designation is P32 in the vin number. My understanding is that any P32 designation indicates that it is a motor home chassis. However, when I called the Workhorse service number, they said it was a commercial chassis, not a motor home chassis. Other than the drivers and passengers seats placement, I can't find any difference between the 2. The Dynamax/Isata brochure refers to the chassis as a "CP31442 commercial rail chassis" I have found out that the CP31442 is known as a 'forward control' chassis, whereas other numbers are considered motor home chassis. So now my question is what is the difference between a forward control chassis and a motor home chassis? Wow!!
Jim
The "3" in the sixth position of your vin # was used to designate BOTH the P32 and the P42 chassis. As you've learned, the P42 was deemed a "commercial" chassis and the P32 is a "MH" chassis. You model number confirms yours is a P42, because it is the first and last two characters of the full model # that determines which its called. The three digits after the "P" are a code for the length of the wheelbase. The "P" in the fifth position of the VIN # is the code for "forward control", therefore THAT does not make any difference between "commercial" and "motorhome" designation.

As to you question about the differences between a P32 and a P42 with the same GVWR, I really don't know where you can find a comparison spec sheet.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 AM   #74

Quote:
Jim
On your serial number "P32" designates a forward control(step van) chassis, A motorhome chassis will say "P37" Having spent a little time with the P series stepvan, The major mechanical differences I can recall was in the steering components (box and linkage) and of course the engine which was usually the 350 gas or 6.8l diesel.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:44 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by parts_expert View Post
Really, there are only TWO. I'd like to clear up some confusion I've seen around here.

P32 is the official name for a light duty motorhome stripped-chassis from GM or Workhorse. Last official model year was 2005, replaced by the W16 and W18. P32s have been made with wide-track and standard track front ends, with both 16" and 19.5" wheels, with rear drums and rear disc brakes. Still a P32 with any of these combos.

P42 is the official name for a light duty stepvan stripped-chassis

"P57" and "P37" are not models, they are just vin sequences that would indicate a P32 chassis from different eras.

"P30" is just a generic term going back to the GM days for both light duty stripped chassis. This term is still used heavily in the aftermarket truck service and parts world (and state DMVs for title/plates) when describing both a P32 and a P42.
Thanks for some great info. I own a 2006 Damon Daybreak W3060. It has the 8.1 liter engine and the GM transmission or so I’m told. Could I have been wrongly informed on the transmission? I do believe it only has 4 gears. I will say though that even though it’s titled as a 2006, it was built in 2005.
teampace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #76
Official iRV2 Sponsor

What is your VIN?
Old 09-21-2019, 09:09 AM   #77

Quote:
What is your VIN?
See Post #67
Old 09-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #78

Quote:
See Post #67
Because YOUR vin # is apparently for a 1999 GM (Chevy) chassis, I had no luck finding it in the WCC database that I normally search. Hopefully ULTRA will have better luck, because I believe he has access to more and better data than me.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by teampace View Post
Thanks for some great info. I own a 2006 Damon Daybreak W3060. It has the 8.1 liter engine and the GM transmission or so I’m told. Could I have been wrongly informed on the transmission? I do believe it only has 4 gears. I will say though that even though it’s titled as a 2006, it was built in 2005.
It is quite possible you have a 2005 (or older) P32 chassis and that would mean you DO have the GM 4 speed. Otherwise you have a W-series with Allison 5 speed, unless there is a blue oval on the steering wheel.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:54 AM   #80

Quote:
What is your VIN?
1GBJP32RXX3304477. I ended up buying the Dynamax Isata last Monday. With it came a huge book full of information on all the system and a Recreational Vehicle Data Sheet prepared by Dynamax, showing the manufacturer and model number of all the various components of the coach. But it didn't have anything about the chassis. According to the data sheet, the Model Year of the finished coach is 1999. But I don't know when the chassis was delivered to Dynamax. I called a Workhorse supplier and he said it was a 1999 chassis with a 157" wheelbase. My wheelbase is 192". So, I guess Dynamax had it lengthened . He also said that the "2" in the P32 part of the vin number stood for "forward control", that had it been a "7" it would indicate a motor home chassis. Other than some difference in steering, I don't know what the difference is between a 'forward control' chassis and a 'motor home' chassis. People on the Barth website say that the motor home chassis is stronger than the forward control chassis. As of now, I don't know if that is true or not. Some also call the forward control chassis a 'bread truck' chassis.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #81

P30, P32 P?????? It not only stumps the experts but parts suppliers like NAPA also. This is the kind of thread that makes detail orientated owners schizoid.
MinntoMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinntoMich View Post
P30, P32 P?????? It not only stumps the experts but parts suppliers like NAPA also. This is the kind of thread that makes detail orientated owners schizoid.
Seems quite simple to me....There never was a P30, that is just parts counter lingo.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Seems quite simple to me....There never was a P30, that is just parts counter lingo.
Hope you experts can help out on tire selection for this chassis. The motorhome mfg states the tires should be 215x85x16. There are not a lot of choices in this size. If I go to 225x75x16, there are a lot more choices. The GVWR is 12000# so I'm guessing a light truck tire would be good. My son in law has Michelin XPS 225x75x16 on his Ford based class C and while they have a nice stiff side wall, the ride is hard. So far, I haven't been able to determine the rim width but I'm guessing 6". Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #84

Quote:
Hope you experts can help out on tire selection for this chassis. The motorhome mfg states the tires should be 215x85x16. There are not a lot of choices in this size. If I go to 225x75x16, there are a lot more choices. The GVWR is 12000# so I'm guessing a light truck tire would be good. My son in law has Michelin XPS 225x75x16 on his Ford based class C and while they have a nice stiff side wall, the ride is hard. So far, I haven't been able to determine the rim width but I'm guessing 6". Any thoughts would be appreciated.
According to the 2004 Chassis Guide published by WCC, their 1999 model year P32 chassis with a 12,300 pound GVWR came standard with 7.50R-16.5 Load Range D ( 8 PR) "XPS RIB" tires (I think that MAY be a Michelin tire name) requiring a min 65 PSI in fronts and 60PSI in rear duals. At 65 PSI, a single tire can support 2440 LBS and a pair of the same tire in a dual setting is rated at 4280 LBS. Obviously, each of those wheel end weight ratings needs to be doubled to determine the max axle weights that can be carried on those tires.

The CG does not mention the wheel size for the 12,300 chassis but the next heavier (14,800 pound) GVWR chassis got 19.5 X 6.00 steel wheels, so I'm guessing you are correct about having 6" wide rims.

Assuming you won't find 750R-16.5 sizes today, I expect any competent tire dealer could recommend something comparable and perhaps you should consider a higher load rating to increase the safety margin.