Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

P0332 knock senser code (+ engine actually tapping/knocking while running)

I've read through some prior posts about the P0332 scan code that I'm getting, but I think the difference in my case is that engine is actually tapping/knocking while running (where other P0332 code posts seem to indicate engine is running fine).

Advice/suggestions?

2005 winnebago adventurer 37B
Workhorse W22 chassis (w/ W24 wheelbase)
8.1L Vortec V8
44,000 miles

Purchased and drove home about 2-3 weeks ago.
JohnB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 10:54 AM   #2

My knock sensor and connect wire just burned up on passenger side of engine block just above the starter. Ordered parts from UtraRV. Easy fix on 8.1. There is a second sensor on driver's side of block. Good luck!
JJAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:40 PM   #3

Do you have an exhaust leak on the passenger side? Might burn wires but also might set off a false knock. Very common for a passenger side leak on these motors.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
Try running Premium gasoline to see if the knock goes away. Don't let it continue to knock if you can hear it. Mine was knocking and I stupidly thought the knock sensors would retard the timing so as to not damage the engine......wrong! At 80,000 miles, lost a piece of piston and cost me a new engine.

My cause was too much oil on S&B air filter contaminated the mass air flow sensor telling the engine control to lean out the fuel/air mixture.

If you have a Scan Gauge II or some way to read the MAF under full throttle, the reading should be greater than 230 g/sec up to 260. If you're only reading 180-220, get it fixed before you blow the engine.

Good luck,
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #5

Smile Thanks for everyone's replies

I will be tackling this matter over the next several weekends, so I aim to report back with my findings and hopefully some successes along the way.
I am a newbie, so I have much to learn.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1 View Post
I've read through some prior posts about the P0332 scan code that I'm getting, but I think the difference in my case is that engine is actually tapping/knocking while running (where other P0332 code posts seem to indicate engine is running fine).

Advice/suggestions?

2005 winnebago adventurer 37B
Workhorse W22 chassis (w/ W24 wheelbase)
8.1L Vortec V8
44,000 miles

Purchased and drove home about 2-3 weeks ago.
If you have a knocking or tapping sound in your engine it may very well set a knock sensor code. The sensor can't tell the difference between a spark and a mechanical knock. You may have a valve lifter issue causing the tapping sound or a host of other items which should be checked right away before further damage occurs.
Do you have any warranty on your MH?
Lynn
Old 10-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #7

Unhappy I did not purchase an extended warranty or service contract at time of sale

Many of the posts that I read here online seemed to promote "self-insurance" for breakdowns and repairs, especially since it sounds like many of the extended warranty and service contract companies seem to work extremely hard to find excuses and reasons for not paying out on claims.

So, short of an immediate need to replace an entire engine or tranny (right away after purchase), I think I still generally agree with this self-insurance sentiment. However, ask me again in another month or two to see if I have a different opinion.

In the meantime, I'm still hopeful that I won't have to throw a lot of time, effort and money into diagnosing and fixing this engine tapping noise, so that I can extend the life of the engine (currently only 44K miles) for at least another 3-5 years and plenty more if possible.
Old 10-23-2019, 03:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1 View Post

In the meantime, I'm still hopeful that I won't have to throw a lot of time, effort and money into diagnosing and fixing this engine tapping noise, so that I can extend the life of the engine (currently only 44K miles) for at least another 3-5 years and plenty more if possible.

Although sometimes it is hard to tell what is going on, any chance of posting a video of the tapping?

I would still check for exhaust leaks and then use a stethoscope to see if you can pinpoint the location if its internal.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:36 AM   #9

I use a stethoscope with the sensing end removed (just a bare tube) to listen for exhaust leaks. This allows me to ignore all the sounds except for right where the end of the tubing is.

Stan
Old 10-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, take a video with the engine cover removed, idling and revved up some.

I just uploaded the video I took back in 2015 of my engine knocking. When I emailed it to Brazels and Redlands RTS, they both diagnosed as a broken piston.

8.1L Engine Knocking
Old 10-23-2019, 06:08 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Yes, take a video with the engine cover removed, idling and revved up some.

I just uploaded the video I took back in 2015 of my engine knocking. When I emailed it to Brazels and Redlands RTS, they both diagnosed as a broken piston.

8.1L Engine Knocking
Holy smokes that is an awful noise, at least your up and running again, how many miles on the Jasper rebuilt?
Old 10-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Holy smokes that is an awful noise, at least your up and running again, how many miles on the Jasper rebuilt?
I have 29,000 miles on the rebuilt. Strong engine except it drinks a lot of oil ... 1 qt every 6-700 miles. I had Banks headers installed at the same time and can feel noticeable increase in torque band over the original (both had/have UltraPower too).
Old 11-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #13

Smile Engine tapping sound problem solved

Hey, just wanted to give you all an update. I finally got a chance yesterday to get back to my RV in storage and videotape my tapping engine sound and email it to Jon at UtraRV. I also tried to upload video to this site, but was unable due to size. As I inspected more closely both video and engine while running, I noticed that one of the spark plug wires was disconnected from the spark plug. I plugged it back in and tapping noise along with check engine light disappeared! Hallelujah!

Since it was a bit challenging for me to reach down from inside and re-attach spark plug wire (still not 100% sure it is fully attached), any tips or best practices you can share on getting better access to engine for routine maintenance is greatly appreciated. I was not able to get access to spark plug wire from outside via the tire well. Does fully turning the wheels in either direction get me a narrow door to slip inside the wheel well? I have to shop for my clothes at big and tall stores, so I am limited also by my body size. My RV storage lot is gravel which makes use of a creeper underneath the chassis challenging as well.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:33 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Put about 3" high blocks under your front jacks and raise the front until the tires are just off of the ground. That should give you adequate room to reach over the tire with your upper body. I throw an old towel/blanket over the tire for to keep clean and provide some padding. You can keep the tires straight to go over the top. But I'm small, so I crank the tires all the way to the left to get in behind the right side..... and vice versa.

You can upload your video to Youtube and provide a link here in your post.

Dang, I hope that's all it was is a loose spark plug wire..... "$*it happens".

Good luck,
Bill

Tags
engine