RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #1

P30 brake pedal travel

We have a 2004 30 ft r-vision with work horse p30 chassis.the problem is the brake pedal travel. It doesnít stop well either. I replaced front and rear pads and bled the brakes.the rotors looked good and I didnít get any air while bleeding the brakes. While trying to figure it out Iíve found I can pump it up and get a firmer pedal with less travel, I bled the brakes again and still no air. So Iím looking for any help or fixes?
Thanks

czike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #2

Are the bleeders on top of the calipers ?

Seen right calipers on left side.

Is the pedal linkage letting the master cylinder return fully ?

If not fully returning, it doesn't refill with fluid.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #3

Yes the bleeder are on the top all way around.
Thanks
Old 01-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #4

Iíll check the linkage it seems like it is.the pedal has no tension on it when at top of travel.maybe this is a gm hyrdoboost thing? Not sure this is our first motorhome,probably should have done some more research on it before hand
Old 01-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Acceptable Pedal travel is 6" with all 4 disk brakes.
Reference is in the 'Service Manuals, the Brake section 5, pages 5-32 and 5-33.
Link to manuals (large .pdf files):
Workhorse Technical Info

You may have a 2003 P32 chassis under your 2004 motorhome. There is a VIN decode chart in the manual.

These beasts don't stop nearly as well as a car/truck.
FYI, When I got mine 9 years ago I had 2" brake travel and grabby brakes. IR thermometer showed the rotors got close to 400F at times when it grabbed, so brakes were sticking. 4 new calipers and rotors and rubber brake lines later I had 6" brake travel.

Also this is a good reference for parts and DIY improvements:
http://oemys-performance.com/ttindex.htm
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #6

Angry

Thanks,Iíll take your word for it..if thatís what they call acceptable. Like I said I guess I should have researched it better.its definitely not acceptable to me
Old 01-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #7

Have you fully flushed the brakes with new fluid, not just bled them? A certain amount of pedal travel and effort is just a fact of life on the P series chassis coaches. They are not sports cars, with some miles of experience you will get used to it.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #8

P30 pedal travel; My story.

Have a P32 with 4 wheel disk brakes.
When I purchased the coach from my parents, the pedal travel was just as you describe. Pump the pedal once and the pedal went significantly higher. Considering the entire brake system was original, I decided to replace everything.

Note: You will have to check if you have single piston, or dual piston brake calipers.

A) Rebuilt the four calipers, and replaced all five brake hoses. This did nothing to change the pedal height, but did give me peace of mind, with 20 year old rubber.
B) Installed Performance Friction Carbon Metallic brake pads. These pads increase grip.
C) Bleed the system probably 7-8 different times. Was never was fully satisfied with the pedal travel. Ran two quart bottles of Castrol Dot 4 synthetic brake fluid through the system.
D) Finally I replaced the master cylinder. Bleed the system two more times, and achieved a high pedal, that applied the brakes quickly and firmly. The pump once or twice action to raise the pedal was gone as well.

The old master cylinder was disected, and small rust pits were found in the cylinder bore.

Verdict: The mediocre stopping ability is gone. Emergency braking, is back to were it was when my parents bought it. We did need that braking in August last year. Sent my stepson from the top of the couch (where he was laying) into the back my wife's seat.

Good luck. Keep after it. Obtain that braking confidence your coach can achieve.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:31 PM   #9

Yes I have completely flushed the brakes I know this this due to color of fluid change. As far as getting used to it,doubtful
Thanks tho
Old 01-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #10

Yeah I have dual piston calipers. Spent the money on good pads.so Iíll try a master next. If that doesnít help maybe Iíll get a Ford haha
Old 01-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know how that new master cyl works (and which one you decided on). I have been thinking about replacing mine just because it's 19 years old now.

Is yours a 2003 workhorse chassis?
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:13 PM   #12

Went ahead and did this on my 1994 Southwind Storm...

New master cylinder (Raybestos)

New rotor hub assemblies (Raybestos)

Flushed/filled with new fluid
New Centric semi metallic pads (front)
Pulled the rear drums and gave everything a good one over. Rear shoes looked great ~90-95 percent lining left.

The issue I had was the pedal would very slowly drop when held (when stopped). The master was leaking internally past it's seals losing pressure.

What I replaced was all original hardware that was pushing ~50,000 miles (24yrs old).
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
udidwht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #13

Mine is 2004. Iím gonna order new one. Iím driving it to desert next weekend so wonít do the new one till after that,Iíll let know how/ if works.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #14

Mine does not bypass,itís just a very low in my opinion pedal. Itís just very mushy/soft. Itís also 4 wheel disc not drum in rear like yours

Tags
brake, p30, travel