Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #1

First time poster!
I have a 28' Gulfstream (the tall one) on a 1990 p30 chassis. I use it to pull my 28' box trailer with my race car and tools. It is a dream to drive even with the trailer when there is not much wind. However, when there are gusts, I really have to do a large correction (more than 50 degrees is common) The recovery isn't bad, it settles down. But when these take you off gaurd, you can just about be in the other lane or drop a tire before you real it in.
I have: Helwig replacement bar and urathane bushings all around
-New front bags and added rear bags.
-New bell crank and ball joints.
There isn't any slop in the front now, and it all handles much better. It still needs a little help so that it isn't so exhausting driving home from a race on a windy day.
It acts like the wind just shoves the front end across the road. I have considered a rear track bar, but I'm not sure that the rear is really moving around that much. I have also considered switching from the 8.5's on the front to a lower profile tire with a stronger sidewall.
The handling seems better at 100psi in all 6 tires and maxing out the air bags. I weighed the coach a couple years ago, and it was well under weight, probably since it is a shorter length unit.
The coach without the trailer is a little better in the wind, but really not much. The front just gets pushed around.
I haven't had the front aligned yet, but it tracks straight as an arrow with your hand off the wheel (without wind that is!) There isn't any bouncing from the trailer or wagging of the trailer. (have replaced shocks and have sway control and load levelers on the trailer.
What are your suggestions? Oh, 55-60mph is about right for me with the trailer. We may hit 65 on the freeway if there isn't any wind, but that is it. Thanks!
Bucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:22 AM   #2

First time poster!
I have a 28' Gulfstream (the tall one) on a 1990 p30 chassis. I use it to pull my 28' box trailer with my race car and tools. It is a dream to drive even with the trailer when there is not much wind. However, when there are gusts, I really have to do a large correction (more than 50 degrees is common) The recovery isn't bad, it settles down. But when these take you off gaurd, you can just about be in the other lane or drop a tire before you real it in.
I have: Helwig replacement bar and urathane bushings all around
-New front bags and added rear bags.
-New bell crank and ball joints.
There isn't any slop in the front now, and it all handles much better. It still needs a little help so that it isn't so exhausting driving home from a race on a windy day.
It acts like the wind just shoves the front end across the road. I have considered a rear track bar, but I'm not sure that the rear is really moving around that much. I have also considered switching from the 8.5's on the front to a lower profile tire with a stronger sidewall.
The handling seems better at 100psi in all 6 tires and maxing out the air bags. I weighed the coach a couple years ago, and it was well under weight, probably since it is a shorter length unit.
The coach without the trailer is a little better in the wind, but really not much. The front just gets pushed around.
I haven't had the front aligned yet, but it tracks straight as an arrow with your hand off the wheel (without wind that is!) There isn't any bouncing from the trailer or wagging of the trailer. (have replaced shocks and have sway control and load levelers on the trailer.
What are your suggestions? Oh, 55-60mph is about right for me with the trailer. We may hit 65 on the freeway if there isn't any wind, but that is it. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #3

Bucky1: Welcome to iRV2.com We are glad you joined and posted.

I'll be the first to admit knowing very little about 90s era GM P series chassis, but are you sure you are not asking too much of it? What is the GCVWR compared to your actual weights? A 28' house pulling a 28' trailer loaded with a race car and gear sounds a bit much to me. I sure hope your trailer is equipped with electrically actuated brakes!

As for your comment about the front end movement, I do believe you will find some relief (benefit) from adding a Rear trac bar (racers call them pan hard bars) because the slightest movement behind the rear axle can cause a big movement up front.

Again, WELCOME to iRV2.com! Hopefully someone with specific knowledge about your chassis will be along shortly to help you. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #4

What is the tung weight?

Does the MH set level,with trailer attached?

Where are water storage tanks located? Rear, midship.

100 PSI seams a little high.
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:37 AM   #5

Thanks for the welcome! Much appreciated.

Rv and trailer are both level. With the rear bags inflated, the rv sits a little high in the back witout the trailer.

I don't know exact tounge weight, but it is an angel behind the pickup. The rv does this dance even without the trailer, a little worse with it.

I appreciate what you are saying about asking quite a bit out of it. Oh yes, it definately has brakes on the trailer! THAT would be a HANDFUL to get stopped without them.

I may have to try the track bar addition. I can see how a little movement at the back would be a lot at the front.

Thanks. Keep it coming!
Old 05-28-2007, 11:43 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My first trip to Las Vegas (From Detroit) (Daughter lives in LV) with this 2005 Workhorse chassis rig was... WORK, I mean it was a relief to get out of the MH an drive the towed.

2nd trip, Same MH, Same Towed, it was a relief to get back in the Motor home and drive it!!!!

What was the difference?

Well 2 things.. I had my dealer install a Blue Ox True Center stering stablizer, I think this is the only one I can re-center WHILE DRIVING if I need to compensate for a slanted road or a steady wind (now way to compensate for gusts) this helped.. Then, the real kick-in-the-arms was when I called up Rachel (Rachel Nordstrom, Nordstrom's RV, a mobile RV service "Shop" in Flint. MI. The license plate on the shop is Michigan: RV GIRL and trust me, She is, Lady knows her stuff)

Well.... She did a #1 job of installing a Davis Trac Bar on the front.

And that made about 70% of the difference. I've yet to put a trac bar on the back, I'm thinking I'll go with Mike B on that one (Ultra Power guy) as... Well... I like his price better than Roadmaster
Old 05-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #7

I hear that works with the newer ones, but this is a 90' vintage p30 chassis. They are a bit of different animals.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bucky, I have and '05 and I'm impressed with way it drives straight with no winds but when it's windy , it's a different story.
I'f you're pulling a 28' trailer, especially if it's a box, I' be willing to bet something is overweight.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:28 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Bucky1, I have a '05 P32 and the wind did cause a problem more than I thought it should. I added Steer Safe and it made a BIG difference, then added a Ultra Rear Track Bar and that made the ride a real joy. I am going to take the air bags / springs off and changing them with the Ultra Springs and then won't have to worry about the air bags any more.
Marty
Old 05-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #10

Sounds like the rear track bar is a clear candidate. Thank you all for the input!!
Old 05-29-2007, 06:36 AM   #11
Official iRV2 Sponsor

What are the front & rear axle weight's.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:40 AM   #12

The P-30s have a narrow track front end....I agree with the above poster....a rear track bar should solve your problem.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #13
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Actually it is a P32 if it has 19.5" wheels & a trac bar may not help if he has a 12 leaf pack of springs in the rear.
A P30 chassis has 16" wheels & rear drum brakes.
A P32 has 19.5" wheels & rear disc brakes.

It most likly is too light in the front end & weight needs to be added to track correctly.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #14

I will have to reweigh the rig. It has been a number of years, and I did it without the trailer attatched. I remember being relieved at how much cushion I had weight wise, particularly on the rear. At 28', it is not one of the longer ones on that chassis, and I think that is working in my favor. I have to get a time to get it onto a scale again, and this time with the trailer maybe. The problem happens even witout the trailer though. The trailer really doesn't cause any unusaual bouncing and it recovers without undo wagging. I'm sure that some of this is inherant to this chassis, but the better I can get it, the more I can unclench my backside in the wind.