Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
P32 air bags, springs, ride height

Just wanted to bring this old thread back to life because it is exactly what I needed to know. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/updat...t-26299-2.html Thanks for keeping the old threads around for reference!

My ride height is less than one inch above the stops. Looks like I am in the mood to buy some springs because my airbags are already at 90 pounds. It's only money right?
However, while prowling around under there I found that one bolt was gone from the front torsion bar U bracket on the driver side and another is almost gone on the passenger side. Not sure what would happen if the bar came loose but I am sure it would not be good.
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before investing in new springs I would try this to see if it is really necessary. Six year old springs should not be collapsed but it is possible. After repairing the torsion bar, deflate the bags and raise the front of the coach so the front wheels are suspended off the ground. Inflate the bags to #90-#100, lower the coach and then check the ride hight. It's easy to do and may save some money. It may be the bags are not fully expanded and the only way to do it is by fully expanding the springs before inflating the air-bags.
I have worked on several over the years and found that if allowed to deflate the bags would not restore ride hight without following this procedure. These steps are also outlined in the chassis guide as the proper steps when installing new bags.
Worth a try and wont cost a thing.

Good luck
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks much for the suggestion. I tried it but had no gain in ride height. Springs are on order.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
I also found a defective torsion bar bracket bolt on my
2000 Fleetwood Flair.
Will replace them when the weather turns warmer and
for sure I won't drive it on the road till this is done.
frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New springs installed and no more airbags. My ride height is now a little over two inches and the front end feels more "stable". I can see the top of my tires now and no more bottoming out on rough bumps etc.

It was so windy (30-40 mph gust) while driving it home I could not really tell if it changed the driving any. However, under the circumstances it handled pretty well, so I hope under normal conditions it will be as good or better than it was.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
New springs installed and no more airbags. My ride height is now a little over two inches and the front end feels more "stable". I can see the top of my tires now and no more bottoming out on rough bumps etc..
JatGee, Thanks for the report!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
JayGee
What brand of spring did you get and
what did the whole installation cost?
I have a P-32 with the same problem.
Thank You
frederick w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by frederick w View Post
JayGee
What brand of spring did you get and
what did the whole installation cost?
I have a P-32 with the same problem.
Thank You
I expect that the springs he used for the P Series are the same or similar to the ones below.

SuperSteer Springs

Call Jon at Brazels RV Performance.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like Driver said I used the Super Steer springs. This is the camping world link to them, but you might find them cheaper with a good web search.
Super Steer Coil Springs - Product - Camping World

Installation is about 3 hours labor. I did get Camping World (Knoxville) to do the install. I had a few other things done so my numbers would be not be accurate. If you do use CampingWorld check around for some installation discount coupons available in some of their flyers.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
New springs installed and no more airbags. My ride height is now a little over two inches and the front end feels more "stable". I can see the top of my tires now and no more bottoming out on rough bumps etc.

It was so windy (30-40 mph gust) while driving it home I could not really tell if it changed the driving any. However, under the circumstances it handled pretty well, so I hope under normal conditions it will be as good or better than it was.
Did you have the alignment checked after the install, as this could change things dramatically. I probably should have done this as well, instead of installing new air bags, but that was in 07 and all is still OK.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:07 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If what you got is working, ride it till it don't work. You might trade for a pusher before you need to replace those bags.

I did have the alignment set to params suggested by "Super Steer". They send a sheet with the springs that provides all information for the alignment crew. The alignment folk said the numbers were pretty close to the numbers they would have used anyway.

They said the biggest change they made to my existing alignment was toe-in which probably was not a result of the spring install. I am very happy with the improvment the alignment made though. The adjustments they made seem to have helped a lot.

My only complaint, now I need to remove my tow hitch to back in the driveway unless I come in at an angle. Lifting the front end apparently dropped the back enough that the hitch now drags on the driveway. It's always something! Gotta love it.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
JayGee......
I reinstalled the driveways here and also installed one of these, which has helped out in a few other cases..... click it >>> Ultra-fab Products - Hitch Protector - Skid Wheels - Camping World
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If you are looking for one of these devices ... I have a better idea: Support your website and consider this: Ultra Fab Hitch receiver Protector from RV Upgrades. .48 cents less @ RVUPG!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #14

P-32 Front Springs

Back in the 80s and 90s, Chevrolet went to great lengths in the Motor HOme Service handbook they published to warn against using 'aftermarket' front springs instead of the factory springs and airbags. The warned of the possibility of going solid in full jounce with the heavier coils with a resulting metal to metal conditin that would severely stress the rest of the front end. Has anyone had any experience with the Henderson springs in this regard? I have to make a decision right away about which way to go - my airbags are shot - don't hold air.

Bill Carry
BillCarry is offline   Reply With Quote