Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #1

p32 autobrake light on

i have a p3 autobrake light on. i had the whole brakes system done last week, new calipers all around new pads new master cylinder and a total fluid change.

now i notice this autobrake light on. where would i find the pump to add trans mission fluid to it?

the light comes on but i can hear the brake disengage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 06:51 AM   #2

P30 auto brake?
The light is on when? While it's in gear?
The pump is the power steering pump - and adding tranny fluid to it is not a good plan. They specify that you use Power Steering fluid.

From the P30 chassis manual:
CAUTION: Automatic transmission fluid should never
be used in the power steering system if the unit is
equipped with option F44 -Automatic Park Brake
System on the 16000#chassis .

Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You'll need to provide your Chassis & Body Builder information.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #4

1999 safari trek it says p32 in the manual but in others it says p30.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerlange View Post
1999 safari trek it says P32 in the manual but in others it says P30.
That's because it is a P32. Neither GM or WCC produced a vehicle other than a P32 that was specifically built as a motorhome chassis. Any other numeric suffix would allude to a commercial chassis.

As WCC took on the role of manufacturer, the chassis was referred to as a P Series at Workhorse throughout its lifespan which concluded in 2005.

The P Series motorhome chassis was also known as a "Wide Track" and remains faithful to that description being both IFS and wider in front track to the W Series of motorhome chassis.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:45 PM   #6

We can help you with your AutoPark issue. If you can handle some pretty straightforward DIY mechanical stuff, we can probably walk you thru the troubleshooting and repair without too much difficulty.

You can contact me at oldusedbear@nwtec.com

Roger - - aka oldusedbear at the AutoPark Library
Old 07-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #7

I have a motorhome on a P-32 Chassis. Knock on wood, I have not had any problems with the emergency brake. However reading all the posts about this imfamous system, I am afraid it will go bad. Is there any preventive maintenance that should be performed? I look at everything trying to find leaks or anything wrong. Mine is a 2005 so I hope they had it somewhat perfected by then.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #8

Don - - If you want to contact me at oldusedbear@nwtec.com, we'll try to pump you up with some good information on the AutoPark system.

We have to handle these problems thru direct email as the file sizes of the information packets are way too large for these little boxes on the forum

Roger - - aka oldusedbear at the AutoPark Library
Old 12-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #9

Auto park no more!

After getting stranded two times in it's early life under warrantee, and worrying about it locking up for 7 years more, I removed 50 pounds of lousy designed Rube Goldberg crap and replaced it with a manual parking brake out of a Jeep for $20. It is on a 2002 P32 Workhorse chassis and the manual lever works beautifully!

For full disclosure, the project is only finished as far providing a functional parking brake is concerned. Further enhancements in process are to wire the switch that came with the lever to operate the "Park Brake" light in the dash when the park brake is on, and a buzzer that sounds when the park brake lever is placed in "Park" when the ignition switch is "off".

What surprised me was that the cable that goes from the actuator to the lever operating the drum brake is exactly the right length to route up through the floor to the manual lever.

There has been way too much work and worry by everyone associated with this defective brake system but I heard the Angles blow their trumpets when the last piece of crap hit the deck and was piled in my garage.

I have a complete actuator and hydraulic pump assembly that can be had for a very reasonable price by anyone that is still struggling to keep their APB system functioning. It was "working" perfectly when I took it off.

I will be happy to provide details if it will help any other unlucky P32 owners.
Jack Fox email: dieterdoggie@hotmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0394.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	16315   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0395.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	16316  

Old 12-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Awesome! You are the first person to ever do this (that I have seen on this forum in 7 years).
Dieter, can you share some more details on what year, model Jeep, etc brake lever and cable that you bought. Some how I feel for $20 you must have gotten it used or off Craigs list but I might have to buy the parts new. If you can elaborate more on the process, that would be appreciated also. Thanks for sharing this information, there will be many of us that are interested in your innovative project.
Beware, you'll probably get slammed for all kinds of dangerous practices, as if the autopark is not already inheritantly dangerous but expensive, complicated, dozens of parts waiting to fail and it seems only one person in the world knows the system, our good friend Old Used Bear.
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:43 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My request for info is on it's way. Thank-you for sharing this.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #12

Commercial Member

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Send a message via AIM to oemtech
Jack - AKA the_dieter,,

If you can do a write and send any photo's I would be gland to put it on my web site.
oemtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #13

Max:

The lever is from a Jeep such as a Cherokee with the lever in the center consul. I got it from Poor Boys Auto Recycling where one does the removal and just pays for the part. There were a number of Jeep models with what looked like the same lever, some had the plastic consul and others just had a plastic shroud over the lever. I did't use the Jeep cable because the Workhorse cable only needed to be rerouted from the actuator to the manual lever. I made an threaded adapter to fit between the hexagonal cable end and the Jeep lever.

I just finished a (simple) electrical schematic which is my interpretation of the one from Workhorse (complicated). I am using that as the starting point to wire up the two switches mentioned above. I am open to suggestion if errors are in need of correction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schematic brake.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	16379  
Old 12-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #14

Dale:

I respectfully decline your offer to post on your web site. Your site is an honorable effort to keep the defective APB working, but my efforts are dedicated to its safe removal.

Thank you, Jack