Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #1

P32 Ignition Switch Relay Mod

For my forthcoming long trip I decided to be proactive and do the relay addition to the Ignition switch so that the relay carries the load rather than the ignition switch itself. Be aware that this is an ADDITION of a component and NOT the ignition switch replacement For that search for TandW on this forum or go to oemeys-performance. You can also see a modification there as well.
You will need:

40Amp relay SPST or in my case a SPDT and use the NO (normally open) contacts. My relay came with a socket and pigtails from NAPA
Blue butt connectors
Blue male spade connector
30Amp fuse and holder
Plastic tie wraps

Procedure:

Remove the 8 bolts holding the steering wheel yoke. This will give better access to the ignition switch.

Note the position and remove the 2 connectors to the ignition switch. Select a location for the relay and socket. Remove the relay from socket.
Locate the heavy pink wire on the white connector and cut it leaving a 2" pigtail on the connector end. Strip and butt splice this 2"pigtail to terminal 85 of the relay socket pigtail, this wire is red in my case and is the relay coil +.

On the steering column you will see a convenient grounding point so connect terminal 86 black ( relay coil - ground) there.

Butt splice the heavy pink (power to accessories)wire cut previously to terminal 87 (Yellow) of relay socket pigtail.

Connect terminal 30 of relay to the fuse holder on the other end of fuse holder attach the male spade connector which will be connected to the switched 12V power source on fuse block see image 3.

Insert relay into socket, I forgot and the starter would turn the engine but no ignition Test the install, engine and everything else works.

Tidy up and reinstall the yoke and 8 bolts.

Check the thumbnails for the orientation of the ignition switch contacts and if you are carrying a spare, make sure it is the right one.The NAPA KS6622 comes in two styles US95 for straight steer wheel and US 105 for adjustable. According to the included instructions, the two switches are oriented 180 degrees from each other referencing the mounting tabs. See the green switch up is to the left and compare with the one below, the mounts should be on the other side so I got the wrong switch as a spare

Also two pix showing the wires to the two connectors, black and white (clear)

Good Luck with yours.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0285.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	41987   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0307.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	41988  

Name:	IMGP0316.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	41989   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0315.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	41990  

Name:	IMGP0317.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	262.0 KB
ID:	41991   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0312.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	41992  

Name:	IMGP0321.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	41993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0322.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	41994  

Name:	IMGP0306.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	41995  
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #2

Update

Should have included the following in my original post:

Relay is a NAPA Single pole double throw (SPDT) That is what they had in stock.
It is a 40/30 Amp relay, the Normally Closed (NC) rated at 40A, the Normally Open (NO) rated at 30 A.

The socket numbers and wire colors are:

30=blue=wiper arm input (12V fused)
87=yellow = NO contact(pink wire to accessories)
87a= green (not used) NC contact
86=white= relay coil ground (to steering wheel ground connection.)
85=red from the pink pigtail from the ignition switch connector to activate the relay.

Steve
is.chowa is offline   Reply With Quote