Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #1

Pegged fuel gauge

Anyone been able to trace an erratic fuel gauge (either stuck on full or working) to a ground issue? If so, where was the bad ground located? 05 Infinity, W22 Chassis.
Thanks, Mike
firenfix4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 04:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Most likely the ground connection to the tank sender is bad. Typically, if you disconnect the ground to the sender it pegs the gauge on full. You'll have to find the wires to the sender on the top of the tank. One goes to the dash gauge, the other goes to ground.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

I would start with a cluster diagnostic gauge sweep test to see if the problem lies in the gauge itself or not.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:44 AM   #4

Easy to google how to do the instrument cluster diagnostics; easier to do the test...
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Here is a link to the procedure: https://www.ultrarvproducts.com/PDF/...Diagnostic.pdf
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Tech View Post
I would start with a cluster diagnostic gauge sweep test to see if the problem lies in the gauge itself or not.
Agree
Our '03 Winnie Workhorse had a recall for gauge cluster - original owner had them try to fix it several times and finally gave up.
Over the 10+ yrs we owned it I got an intermittent situation where there was a "beep" and I could watch the fuel gauge go to E and then return to normal.
It was disconcerting at first but learned to ignore it and never had a more serious issue.

Not sure if your is similar or something different but worth a check.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #7

Fuel gauge

Thanks folks. I am going to do the diagnostics for the gauge cluster and if OK, one less thing to worry about. Going to check for a bad ground this weekend, seems like that may be what I am experiencing based on some other similar experiences I have read about. Appreciate the advice, I'm hoping to have the issue resolved before the next trip!
firenfix4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel