Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 08:22 AM   #1

Performance Mufflers

Hi I would like to know if anyone used the Ultra RV Performance mufflers on a W24? I still am running the stock mufflers but thinking of upgrading to the performance muffler 853072 - Workhorse 8.1L the existing mufflers are still good so far no holes or rust yet.

Thanks,
Greg
greg1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #2

Performance Mufflers

Aren’t those made by Flowmaster? I would be concerned with drone, which seems to plague many of the Flowmaster mufflers.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 AM   #3

I am not W24 but I do have them on mine as i developed a hole in the side of one muffler. I do like the way Brazels (Ultra) installed them and have no issues with them. They do make a little more noise.

But unlees you really need new mufflers the 10 hp is only a 3% increase and possibly only at 4000RPM and you are not at that RPM a lot, that you would need or use the 10hp at all.

I certainly can not feel any difference and nor would I expect to. The expense although they are a cost effective replacement I would not upgrade for performance unless maybe it went along with a headers and tuner upgrade.

It may be possible on a longer up hill grade you could get to the top a few seconds faster with just the performance mufflers. Also i would say there has been no measurable MPG increase.
Dougsee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 09:51 PM   #4

I've stated this before and will state this again. FLOWMASTERS ARE GARBAGE. Their engineers are stupid. Their customer support is worthless.

Here are the facts. My previous motorhome had a stock 454. The previous owner had installed Flowmaster dual 50 series. Due to a cracked manifold, I installed Thorely headers. There was a very small performance increase, which was disappointing. Over time, the rest of the exhaust needed replaced. Along with that replacement, I was talked into installing 40 series Flowmasters. While there was a very noticeable performance increase, the noise was unbearable, both the drone inside, as well as outside. I question if they were legal, it was so loud. As a result, I installed 70 series Flowmasters. While these were quieter, the performance took a nose dive. Zero to 60 dropped by almost 3 seconds. ~20%. I lost 2.5 mpg. Several calls to Flowmaster's tech support, they suggest the mixture may be off, or there may be too much scavenging. Between an electronic fuel pump, and a fuel pressure regulator, I could skew my mixture from too lean, to to rich. This made no improvement on performance. They also suggested I needed some sort of restriction to prevent over scavenging. I put on an adapter for a slightly smaller pipe. This made the performance worse. I finally gave up on Flowmaster and installed Magnaflows. These are a straight through muffler, with an inner perforated tube, similar to a glass pack. They have stainless steel mesh for absorption. The performance came back completely, and so did my mileage. These performed every bit as good as the 40 series, but were very quiet. Under normal throttle, you could not hear them inside the coach. At full throttle, there was a little bit of rumble, to let you know they were there. I did eventually burn out the first set of Magnaflows, however Magnaflow did replace them under warranty. The second set lasted for more than 8 years, and as far as I know are still fine. In that time, I did change to the 502. They still handled the doubling of the HP, without any performance loss. The big 502 was slightly louder, but still very exceptable.

Besides the performance issue, Flowmasters have a serious drone problem. The exhaust gas flows through chambers that are directly part of the outside shell. As such, all the exhaust noise radiates through the shell to the outside of the muffler. They are actually louder at the muffler than they are at the end of the tail pipe! On the other hand, Magnaflow has absorption between the inner pipe and the outside shell. This absorbs the drone, so it does not radiate through the shell.

Incidentally, when the Magnaflows did burn out, I had a little fun driving down a country road at wide open throttle, 5200 RPM. It was an amazing sound to hear those big pistons scream. I was towing a boat, so I was staying in the high RPM for extended periods. Hanging my head out the window, smiling like a fool. Was great fun, but for long term, I was glad Magnaflow replaced them.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:05 PM   #5

I enjoyed the above post immensely.

Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #6

Thanks guys I will leave the mufflers alone for now.
greg1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
rca

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Daveinet

Could you post the part numbers of the Magnaflow 502 mufflers you were happy with?
I need to change my OEM mufflers and would appreciate the help.
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2019, 11:10 PM   #8

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/1...rmance-muffler

Basically, buy the longest version you can find. The longer it is, the quieter it will be. If you need a 3 inch, you can go here:

https://www.magnaflow.com/products/1...rmance-muffler