Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #43
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I am now in possession of a set of Taylor Extreme Service Series spark plug wires, #99615. Returning home, I hope to obtain a set of AC-Delco platinum spark plugs and install the new wires. I hope to develop a photo essay as I go through the process. The Taylor Wires use blue spiro-pro "extreme" 10.4mm cables with boot protectors.

Having achieved close to 50,000 miles a new set of wires and plugs seem to be a good move at this point in time.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2006, 08:52 PM   #44

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:Having achieved close to 50,000 miles a new set of wires and plugs seem to be a good maove at this point in time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>But I thought Workhorse says the plug and wires are good for 100,00 miles?

W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:53 AM   #45
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
But I thought Workhorse says the plug and wires are good for 100,00 miles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Workhorse said that the plugs were good for 100,000 miles. If anyone choses to upgrade their equipment that's a personal choice. There's nothing wrong with my OEM wires, I just want different ones.

New stuff is always fun to try out and it keeps folks interested and informed about what the options are.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 06:19 PM   #46

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yesterday a "birdie" told me there is an imminent happening re 8.1 exhaust manifold/heads cause of so many wire/plug problems. I don't know what. The "birdie is a mgmt service person. We can only hope.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:50 PM   #47

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eandy:
Yesterday a "birdie" told me there is an imminent happening re 8.1 exhaust manifold/heads cause of so many wire/plug problems. I don't know what. The "birdie is a mgmt service person. We can only hope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Keep us informed eandy. As a fellow Rexhall owner that has experienced this problem I will be interested in hearing about it. Although I believe my problem has been cured.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:31 PM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Full-Timers, I won't know before anyone else. Whatever it is has something to do with cracked ext manifolds and warped heads we've read about here. So if there's anything to this it otta be a good un.

8.1 Vortec 5 spd Allison
eandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DriVer:
I am now in possession of a set of Taylor Extreme Service Series spark plug wires, #99615. Returning home, I hope to obtain a set of AC-Delco platinum spark plugs and install the new wires. I hope to develop a photo essay as I go through the process. The Taylor Wires use blue spiro-pro "extreme" 10.4mm cables with boot protectors.

I have 20,000 miles and if my plugs and plug wires are working as designed would you gain anything (power,MPG, etc) by changing to the Taylor extreme service wires and AC plugs?
Paul and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #50

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Yes - but it would probably only show up on a dyno... The DIY Butt Dyno isn't that sensitive

If you think you need the extreme version (Taylors + Nomex sock) I would order the Taylor 409's and socks from Summit Racing. Check Ebay for plugs... Last time I looked there were some for $24 plus S/H. Check local and compare total price.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:39 PM   #51

I just replaced my spark plug cables with the Taylor Extremes. I initially started inside the MH. It took me a while to pry the dog house out because the very close fit with the MH floor. I tried to remove the spark plug wires starting on the right side. It was very difficult to get a grip of the spark plug boot protector. I had to make somekind of a fork to pry the spark plug boot protectors. I lost 3 spark plug wires removing them as the metal spark plug connectors got stuck on the plugs. I then tried to remove the spark plugs without much success. I looked at the left side (driver side) and discovered very quickly that I could not remove the spark plug wires from inside the MH and had event less access to the spark plugs.

I decided to try from underneat the wheel well. I raised the front end with the levellers and crawled underneat. It took very little time to remove the spark plug wires, re-gapped to 0.045", re-installed the plugs and install the new Taylor Extremes cables. This is without any doubt the best place to work on the spark plugs and their cables.
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #52

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
There are pictures and a "How To" on page 3 of this thread.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:33 PM   #53
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I changed my wires and sparks today mostly a non-event.
Used gloves with rubber palms which made it alot easier to twist wires and remove them, plus no bloody knuckles.
Lifted the front of chassis and blocked up with jacks, turned the wheels to gain access in wheel well and had plenty of room.
All the wires came off easy and none were burnt or melted looked as good as new. Newmar allows plenty of air to get by the manifolds. Plugs were clean but gap was set at above .60.
Will take short trip this weekend courious to see what improvement there is from my 8.7 & 9.1 mpg.
Next week will put in CAI before trip to AI in upstate New York.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:34 PM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Installed Taylor TV50's on my 2001 (45,000 mi.)Airstream P32 yesterday. I must say it was much harder than I expected. The old OEM Delphi wires were a "pain in the @$$" to remove. I think the OEM wires never had silicone dielectric grease on them because they were really bonded tight to the porcelain. Two of them came apart leaving the metal contact on the plugs. I was also going to check the plugs for condition and gap but had a hard time just touching a few of them from above so I said to myself, "They are good for 100,000 mi. so leave them alone". Nos. 4&6 were tucked behind the dipstick tubes for the engine and tranny respectfully and I doubt I could even get a socket on them. The Taylors went on with no problem at all. Although I never had any wire burn issues, the OEM wires looked a little drab and dry (and skinny), so I am glad I changed them. Also, with the doghouse removed, I tightened up the heavy ground wire that runs from the engine to the frame. Being a retired electrical engineer, I know the problems bad or incomplete grounds can cause. Oh, If working from above the engine, wear long sleeves because I got bad scrapes from the fiberglass around the rim where the doghouse sits.
jhawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:49 PM   #55

Mid Atlantic Campers
Bad fiberglass cuts from around the doghouse , did ya hear that brother Oemy

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #56
Administrator Emeritus

Sound like someone' had that lovin' feeling too!!

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote