Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 05:31 AM   #1

PO650 Knock Sensor

Chevy 8.1 on W22 chasis: threw code PO650 for knock sensor 1; I am in upstate NY and need to know if this is a severe issue; can I just replace the sensor and or wiring? the code started shortly after I filled up in western PA going through the mountains. stopped to have it read at auto parts store. seems to be driving ok. have since filled up tank with regular like I usually do. heading further north today (currently in Syracuse) for a couple days then back to Syracuse on Thurs afternoon for the weekend
any help appreciated
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #2

PO650 Knock Sensor

I looked up that code and I am finding it is a circuit test failure for the engine light. Are you sure of the code?

I carry a small device that plugs into the OBD II port called “BlueDriver”. Using this device, I can pull codes very quickly and it will even provide guidance on how to correct the error.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:32 AM   #3

If it truly is a knock sensor, you can still drive without any major issues. Your gas mileage may suffer a little but you won’t be stuck anywhere.

Replace with AC Delco knock sensors. A competent mechanic or DIYer can replace both in about ten minutes.

On a recent trip, mine kept sending a code. I kept clearing the code until I got the parts and corrected the problem.

Good luck and safe travels.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:43 AM   #4

If it truly is a knock sensor then driving should be ok, just listen for "pinging" when putting the coach under load. If you hear pinging back off of the throttle slightly and should diminish or cease. That said don't drive forever without a working knock sensor. This sensor "hears" the engine pinging and adjust the ignition timing and possibly and possibly other ECM parameters so it no longer hears the pinging/knocking. It's an easy replacement once you find out were it is. Good luck. One more thing going up a grade in fuel may help as higher grade fuel is less susceptible to knocking, that's what octane is all about.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #5

Vettenuts is correct. Whoever told you the code you have is wrong. PO 650, has nothing to do with detonation (Knock) sensors.
As long as you don't have any driveability issues I would continue on my way. Did they clear the code after they read it?
If not you could disconnect the chassis battery(s) ground cable for a few minutes then reconnect it. This should clear the code and the check engine light will go off when the engine is running. If the light doesn't come back on and the code doesn't return I'd keep running the way you are.
Lynn
Old 08-22-2019, 04:32 AM   #6

thanks everyone! after starting out to drive from Syracuse to Malone, the engine light went out. I had filled up with a new tank of gas the day before and wondering if that had anything to do with it. I also got underneath and found the sensor; just tapped on it and made sure the wire was not loose; not sure if that was it or not, but about 40 miles later on 81, the light went out. will probably get some ac delco's and have the mechanic replace.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:21 AM   #7

The light will go out if the cause of the error code has been eliminated. Some codes require a number of error free starts. Since it was eliminated with fresh fuel, you may have gotten a bad tank of fuel. I wouldn’t throw parts at it unless you have a specific diagnosis that identifies the knock sensor as the issue. I would also start with some simple things depending on the last time it was given a tune-up. I am a strong proponent of keeping the MAF clean on this motor because it can cause a lean condition and this motor works too hard to let it run lean.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGirl View Post
thanks everyone! after starting out to drive from Syracuse to Malone, the engine light went out. I had filled up with a new tank of gas the day before and wondering if that had anything to do with it. I also got underneath and found the sensor; just tapped on it and made sure the wire was not loose; not sure if that was it or not, but about 40 miles later on 81, the light went out. will probably get some ac delco's and have the mechanic replace.
Just FYI, if you are coming back from Malone and connecting with RT. 81 and still have a problem, there is a shop right next to the intersection of exit 48. The business name is 'Stadium International'. They do work on Workhorse chassis RV's.
Lynn
Old 08-26-2019, 05:26 PM   #9

Lynn,

great to know of that shop! thanks so much. we travel up here at least 2x per year (I'm from Malone originally; still have 90% of my extended family there and Montreal area). my brother is in Contantia; not far from exit 48. thanks again, love these forums!
Old 08-27-2019, 05:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGirl View Post
Lynn,

great to know of that shop! thanks so much. we travel up here at least 2x per year (I'm from Malone originally; still have 90% of my extended family there and Montreal area). my brother is in Contantia; not far from exit 48. thanks again, love these forums!
I sent you a PM. FYI
Lynn