Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: If you were in the RV market TODAY, would you buy another NEW Workhorse chassis motorhome? (The ent
Yes 64 53.33%
No 42 35.00%
Undecided 14 11.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CoastieSCPO:
Let's see...while under warranty, burnt plugs twice, causing long distance towing which I did not have to pay for. Water ingested in the air filter, but that was a Tiffin-caused problem. Actia malfunctions. The brake failure just after warranty ended. Now, I appreciate that Workhorse handled some of the issues while under warranty. I solved the plug problems myself and plan on changing the air filter assembly.

I realize that owners of rigs of other builders also have problems...like Ford or Freightliner, but it seems that problems are more prevelant with WH. Maybe it's because we have such an excellent forum in which to vent or report our individual situations.

The bottom line is that some of the issues, especially the ongoing brake situation has taken a lot of the fun out of driving my motorhome. It's like...I'm just waiting for a negative situation instead of just enjoying the ride.

Sorry for the negativity.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Im sorry, I dont consider it negitive. We need to know the good or not so good of any product we might be interested in buying. I dont visit this site or ant other for that matter just for the good stuff. I want to hear it all. Like I've said before, when a mfg does good we should shout it from the mountain top and when in our opinion its not so good we should yell just as loud. IMO Safe Travels
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #30

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVThere:
I put 50k miles on my 2003 Suncruiser with a Workshorse chassis until I traded it in last summer. Looking back, there were just too many pesky problems that lead me away from another Workhorse:

- lack of any Workhorse dealers in my area. DeWalts in PA is close but they only work on MH's that they sold.
- ABS brake light on dash would light after heavy braking and then decide to go off before you got it to the dealer
- Gas guage would drop to E for no reason and then go back to a correct reading
- Fan belt failed in middle of MA Turnpike after only about 45k miles
- Engine temp sensor leaking anti-freeze
- Engine would suck in rain and set off check engine light (might be more of a MH design issue but still happened)
- Fuel economy reading would reset to 99 miles per gallon when climbing steep hills
- Engine used oil (burned, leaked??) from day 1. Dealer said this was 'normal'.

I readily admit that these problems occur on other chassis's but I'm just listing the problems I had. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had pretty much the same problems but you can add---

--replaced catalytic converters
--broken rear spring clip - and if I were you I would check mine
--Three A/C compressors - WH has a problem here
--shocks replaced
--incorrectly installed anti-knock sensor
--Two or three replaced MAF sensors
--and other stuff

That thing with the fuel gage going to E and bells ringing is a problem that really chapped me because they would not fix it.

I hope someday they get their act together....A lot of WH problems should have been caught during good beta testing IMO.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #31

You wrote this to somebody else - but I would like to give you my take on it---

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rvten:
Some of the problems some of you list is not a WCC caused problem. Some are the coach MFG's poor design in air flow around the engine and big gaps where there hood opens and lets water in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe - maybe not. I was told that WH approves the design of the boxes the mfg. puts on the chassis....I am pretty sure that is right and if it is and there is a problem they need to not sign off on it and tell the manufacturer why.

And anyway - my water problem was mainly due cracks in the plastic warped air filter box they installed and the dumb place WH put it just behind the passenger front wheel where all that road water spray from the front tire hit it.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:41 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVThere:
Looking back, there were just too many pesky problems that lead me away from another Workhorse: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>RVthere, I just wish you were honest with us and just stated that it was time for you to move on and making a "BIG" step up to a Freightliner RDP with a 400 horse ISL. This obviously something that you planned on and wanted to do and there would have been no amount of Workhorses that could have made up the difference. Telling us that you have pesky problems that led you away from buying another Workhorse is just not credible.

If you had moved into a Ford then we could be having this discussion. Good luck with the FLCC and I know where you can get some nice motion control units. FLCC isn't perfect by the way or they wouldn't have a warranty.

I know folks that moved into Spartans after having put together much the same list of perceived or real problems with their Freightliners.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 11-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #33

Our 2001 W-20 served us well. Only major problem was the brakes and WCC took care of it no problem. I had no problem finding service for the MH when we lived up north or down here in TN.
Have not found any Ford delaer close by that will work on my Ford Class C.
If we had bought another class A it would have been on a WCC chassis.
I still beleave the water problem, over heating and handling are the box builders shot comings.
Old 11-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #34

We have been very impressed by our 2003 Workhorse chassis. The only problem in 33,000 miles was the Actia IP which was replaced under warranty.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Driver - let's not use this forum to question someone's honestly and therefore integrity. I was honestly stating problems I had over five years with no hidden agenda. And based on some of the replies, I'm not alone with those problems.

At every buying decision, you have the choice to stay with your current rig or move to something else. I had a 1989 GMC truck, put 168k miles on it and bought a new one in 2002. To me, WH doesn't have the same 'repeat purchase' draw. Sometimes you have to move on to realize all the problems you left behind.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
Old 11-30-2008, 09:43 PM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my opinion, this poll is a thinly veiled magnet for complainers. Put a similar poll about Fords on a Ford chassis forum and you'll invariably get the same type of response.

By now, most of us realize that motorhomes are complex vehicles that are far from perfect. Therefore, the best side of this forum occurs when well-meaning members help each other with advice and fixing problems. Conversely, the worst side of this forum occurs when people simply complain. It achives nothing and seems to bring out the worst in other people as they join the fray. Please give it a break and move on.

Jack.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:01 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I like this poll, it brung out the cheerleaders
Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I had a 1989 GMC truck, put 168k miles on it and bought a new one in 2002. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>RVThere, My point exactly!

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers but in your decision, if you had purchased a 2002 Freightliner tractor instead of another pickup truck we might not be having this discussion.

When I'm on tour I have had many owner's come by my display and tell me that they got out of an RDP and fit wonderfully in a front gas unit. Most of these folks remain loyal to the Allison transmission which they are able to bring with them when they step into a Workhorse. A lot of people may choose to upgrade their coach body from a smaller to a larger box on a new Workhorse. This can be a 30K to 60K upgrade for the coach body. Moving from a front gas to a RDP will typically cost anywhere from 75 to 100K or more and then you add in all the features of the box and you're talking about a little money here.

Moving from one platform to another is something that folks do after careful consideration and after having analyzed ROI and cost per mile. Typically floor plan and color is the deciding factor in 9 out of 10 cases and the DW is the boss. Some folks just want to RV in as simplest of a vehicle as possible. These are all choice that folks make. You may have had the best Workhorse chassis in the world however moving into a 32,000 GVW RDP would render that point moot and regardless of the fact that the previous vehicle rendered excellent service moving into an RDP is a step in a different direction and in my opinion has nothing to do with past performance.

The owner's that I have spoken with that moved from an RDP into a UFO, by in large very pleased with their decision and they are pleased that they got in the box what they wanted and they saved a lot on money.

I'm getting ready to depart for the Louisville RVIA Expo and I hope to see what the latest and greatest stuff is out there from all the chassis manufacturers. I understand that Workhorse is stepping up their game.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 AM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I would love to hear some insight from the owners that said "yes" to "Do you feel that Workhorse has done a good job in addressing the brake related issues?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think it's a loaded question that doesn't have an answer. In my opinion, Workhorse is doing the best they can at the moment given the circumstances the way they are and having 2 other equal partners working this issue. The facts are not all in yet. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, this is just a simple poll to gauge feedback to the brake-related issue. And it's true that 'the facts are not alll in yet' but the overall questions were based on how we feel Workhorse has responded to its customer base. And for me, the simple fact is that Workhorse hasn't responded at all... I understand that maybe there 'working on it' but close to two years and not a single word direct from Workhorse... I feel that there comes a time when no one here can defend this lack of information direct from the manufacturer.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #40

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob (WA0MQE):
I agree the brake issue is not the reason I voted the way I did, which I don't mind admitting was negative for the most part towards Workhorse Chassis. You should have included things like service centers, parts availability, certain pricing like the fuel filter, etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This poll was set up for brake-related issues; ANYONE here can start their own poll, based on the questions THEY would like to see answers to- I don't see the point in asking 100 questions on a variety of issues when the poll was regarding would you buy another Workhorse chassis, with the underlying issues being 'BRAKES' and the level of satisfation with how Workhorse has dealt with the issue.

And no, it wasn't meant to be a negative reflection on Workhorse, unless you feel that they haven't responded to it's customer base very well... even grading on a curve, they've earned an 'F' so far in my book. But that's only my opinion at this point, as I'm still waiting for more information as an outcome from the rally, ah, two months ago...
Old 12-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #41

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jackm:
In my opinion, this poll is a thinly veiled magnet for complainers. Put a similar poll about Fords on a Ford chassis forum and you'll invariably get the same type of response.

By now, most of us realize that motorhomes are complex vehicles that are far from perfect. Therefore, the best side of this forum occurs when well-meaning members help each other with advice and fixing problems. Conversely, the worst side of this forum occurs when people simply complain. It achives nothing and seems to bring out the worst in other people as they join the fray. Please give it a break and move on.

Jack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I will assume you have 'moved on'... thanks for taking the poll. By the way, are you driving a chassis that is in the affected model years? If not, then it isn't really a fair reply to others that have a chassis this is affected range, or to those that have actually experienced this brake-issue first-hand.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #42

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
I would love to hear some insight from the owners that said "yes" to "Do you feel that Workhorse has done a good job in addressing the brake related issues?" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Currently, 64% said 'yes' and yet Workhorse, to my knowledge, has never notified it's customers. It's possible that information that comes from this forum was used as the basis to that answer, because it sure didn't come by way of a form letter or postcard from Workhorse...
Closed Thread