RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're on the road and the Power Gear warning beeper for the jacks keeps going off. Crawled around under hood...what am I looking for? I don't see a cap or filler area.
'06 Dolphin LX W-22

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2006, 07:30 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We're on the road and the Power Gear warning beeper for the jacks keeps going off. Crawled around under hood...what am I looking for? I don't see a cap or filler area.
'06 Dolphin LX W-22

Old 04-08-2006, 07:48 AM   #3

See pic below. The tank should be located up behind the drivers side front wheel. For now you can probably get by adding a little fluid to the tank. The instr. below I did for someone else a ways back..

Changing/adding the hydraulic fluid on your on a 1999 to present Power Gear power unit assembly with round reservoir tank. It's very easy to do!

2 or 2.5 gallon round reservoir tank used on a 1999 to present to present Power Gear power unit assembly.

On left top side of the tank you see the fill spout/plug. On the bottom you see the tank drain plug.

Hydraulic fluid should be changed every 2 years. Takes 2 or 2.5 gallons to fill but have more then 2.5 gallons on hand as you would hate to spill a little and run short of fluid. Make sure the jacks are retracted (in the up position). Place a catch container that will hold more then 2 gallons under the drain hole. Remove the fill plug first then the drain plug. Let the tank drain for a few minutes until all is out. Now, carefully replace (careful not to cross thread and do not overtighten!) the bottom drain plug. Using a StaLube hand pump (buy at Advance Auto or AutoZone) or similar pump, pump into the fill hole, regular ATF Type A or Dextron III that you buy at any AutoZone, etc.. Plain old inexpensive ATF Type A is all you need. (Colder climates can use alternative fluids) You will know when it is full as it will start to flow back out the fill hole. 8-) Fill to a 1/4" from the top of the fill spout/hole. Once full, put the fill plug back in. I'd recommend placing some lubricant/grease on the plugs before you put them back in so they will be easier to remove in the future. AFTER you have the tank full, start the RV and run the jacks up and down 4 or 5 times. That is it. OH, each jack leg has a grease (zerk) fitting. Using the grease/zerk fitting on each leg, pump in light weight lithium based grease til you see it start to ooze out of the bottom of the jack leg. Clean up any excess grease. Final step is to wipe off/lubricate the extended jack leg tubes with lots silicone spray lubricant. In regard to the silicone spray lubricant, it is recommended to respray clean/lube each jack leg every 2-3 days if you are in a salty environment and the jack legs are extended. For a copy of the PowerGear manual go HERE
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:32 AM   #4

WOW, BILL, THAT has to be one of the best constructed and most informative posts ever provided by one of our members.
THANK YOU for an excellent solution to a member's problem. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 10:17 AM   #5

Yes, Yes, what a great reply. EXCELLENT.

Trail-Lite 241
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:24 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ABSOLUTELY! Thanks alot. We'll be picking up some Dexron 3 here in Hays, KS. and poke around under the hood. Jeff and Carme
Old 04-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jeff, your tank should be right behind the grill on the left side. Most National rigs have it there. It may be hard to reach because the access door sticks out to far when it is open.

Glenn
Old 04-09-2006, 05:21 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks so much for your help. After I checked it, it was not low at all. So I guess something else is up, but I learned something else from you all. I also found a coolant leak while poking around. We've been smelling hot coolant off and on for weeks, had it checked, but no leak was found (yet the coolant finally started going down on this trip)...there is a drip at the bottom of the heater control valve. Can't wait to see how this goes. Jeff and Carme
Old 04-10-2006, 06:04 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">there is a drip at the bottom of the heater control valve. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That seems to be pretty common occurrence, at least on NRV rigs. Tightening the clamp solved my problem for awhile, but when the control valve failed (also common) had to add a second clamp to seal it up tight and dry.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Earlier model Power Gear jacks used a float (level) sensor to sound a low jacks alarm, but I understand that they have now switched to a pressure sensor. Perhaps your sensor is bad or perhaps there is a slight leak somewhere and pressure is bleeding off?

But you will also get the alarm if one or more jack legs does not retract fully. Lubing the zerks on each jack is the best solution for that. A little hand-operated grease gun and some lithium grease will address that problem. It's easy to do - the zerks are readily accessible.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote