Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
P32 chassis (Winnebago Sightseer) with 1900 miles on it (still new!): when brakes are applied a very definite squeel is heard. Quite sufficient for pedestrians to turn an look at the RV as we're stopping. However, the brakes work just fine. So, is this squeel normal for a new unit .... or is this a trip to the dealer?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2005, 01:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
P32 chassis (Winnebago Sightseer) with 1900 miles on it (still new!): when brakes are applied a very definite squeel is heard. Quite sufficient for pedestrians to turn an look at the RV as we're stopping. However, the brakes work just fine. So, is this squeel normal for a new unit .... or is this a trip to the dealer?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
According to our latest Motorhome Chassis Guide, brake squeal is normal.

I know it can be disconcerting at times but if your brakes are working OK I just hope that the pads will wear in to the point where they won't make any more noise.

If it gets really bad though have your service center take a look at it.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks a Ton, Driver.... actually, thanks 9-tons worth (GVWR=18,000). I guess I'd squeek too if I was trying to stop that mass.

Comforting to know that squeeling is normal. Found that it was helpful in a State Park yesterday when I was heading down a road upon which hikers were spread out. Once the squeeling started, they all peeled off to the edge of the road and watched, petrified, as we slowly passed them!
Old 08-14-2005, 12:02 AM   #5

We call our motorhome the "Squeekster"....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:56 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep, mine squeels too. WCC svc center just said it was a characteristic of the chassis, so I guess it was the best WH could do. Maybe 50% for effort on WH's part and 0% effort for the WH svc. center.
I'd love to see how some ppl who brag about getting excellent service from WH , would use their psychology to get things fixed. Any of you guys for hire?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:44 AM   #7

Mine squeak a little only when they are warm/hot due to high traffic or down hill runs, but not to the point where people turn around and look for something bearing down on them. Maybe it could be from a slight drag on the brake pads when heated, I would keep a close eye on the brake dust on the coach rims to make sure it's not excessive. When I stop for the day I always wipe the covers and check the amount of dust I accumulated while driving from point to point especially on the toad front rims. I feel it's a good check just to make sure nothing is dragging.
Happy Miles from Paso Robles, CA (more wine)
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:23 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spraying brake parts cleaner on the calipers probably won't totally get rid of the squeal, but it may help by washing off the brake dust.
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 04:44 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wilanddij:
Spraying brake parts cleaner on the calipers probably won't totally get rid of the squeal, but it may help by washing off the brake dust. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya, and spraying brake cleaner on those calipers will also wash off any caliper lubricant at the mounting point, and create an even worse squeek!
Old 08-27-2005, 05:55 AM   #10

I have the squeeling on my new P32 Fleetwood Fiesta. Thought it might be related to towing the Jeep. Am going to install a supplemental brake system(SMI). It doesn't squeel when I am not towing.