Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 06:06 AM   #1

Problem with Parking brake

We just purchased a 2008 Itasca 39W. Workhorse rear engine Chevy. Parking brake system is automatic engage with the Allison transmission is placed in park. That works, can release the brake by manually pushing in the button, but brake failure light comes on. Everything works fine but jacks will not go down as they sense the emergency brake is not set. Any suggestions? Dealer unable to figure out.
Gregge46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #2

And welcome to the world of Auto park brakes. I have the J71 auto park brake on mine, but I don't think you have the same model. I suggest you Private Mail Oldusedbear. He's the expert on auto park brakes and spends a lot of his time helping out people with problems. His name is Roger and he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The parking brake on the UFO Chassis is a totally different animal, I don't believe Roger can help you. There are a few UFO owners on here who experienced parking brake problems, maybe one of them will be along soon to help you out. I haven't experienced any problems with mine so I can't offer any help.

Se if a moderator can help by changing your topic to include UFO Chassis.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Check here, this owner may have the same issue.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/2008-...-a-222780.html

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:17 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregge46 View Post
We just purchased a 2008 Itasca 39W. Workhorse rear engine Chevy. Parking brake system is automatic engage with the Allison transmission is placed in park. That works, can release the brake by manually pushing in the button, but brake failure light comes on. Everything works fine but jacks will not go down as they sense the emergency brake is not set. Any suggestions? Dealer unable to figure out.

Your dealer needs to contact the service people at Brazelsrv.com. They should be able to help them figure it out. The brake system on the UFO chassis is similar to that on many school buses. It is the HPB (Hydraulic Power Brake) system from Meritor/Wabco. To check out the cause of the Brake Failure light you need to hook up the Meritor "Toolbox" Software to the deutsche connector port under the dash near the steering wheel. Meritor brakes (air and hydraulic) are on many trucks and school buses so most truck shops have this software. A Workhorse service center and all International Brand truck service centers have it and should have experience with this system - especially the International Truck service centers since this system is very similar to that on many school buses with the International brand chassis. The HPB system is composed of two major pieces - the HCU (hydraulic compact unit) and the ECU (electronic control unit) for the UFO chassis. The HCU can be bought separately but currently (unless things have changed) is only available with the HCU. The ECU for the UFO chassis is different from the one used in every other application so it is important to get the right one if you need it. If you just need the ecu ask Brazels if they can rebuild yours maybe it just has a bad diode. Your UFO is a great running and handling chassis. Parts are available from Workhorse parts (call Uptime Parts). You will enjoy it.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UFO Park break

It has been a long winter and i have exsperenced a similar porblem.
It turned out tha my break light switch mounted on the bottom of the master cyclinder was my problem. I removed the 2 screws holding the switch, 3mm allen and found water rust and a drop or two of brake fluid came out. I very carefully took apart the micro switch and cleaned with contact cleaner. put back together and now everthing work as should.

Prior to the fix i had no brake lights, my park brake was hard to get released at times and on ocassion rear lights would flash like 4ways where on but where not
51chevy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:39 AM   #7

UFO Parking Brake fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51chevy65 View Post
It has been a long winter and i have exsperenced a similar porblem.
It turned out tha my break light switch mounted on the bottom of the master cyclinder was my problem. I removed the 2 screws holding the switch, 3mm allen and found water rust and a drop or two of brake fluid came out. I very carefully took apart the micro switch and cleaned with contact cleaner. put back together and now everthing work as should.

Prior to the fix i had no brake lights, my park brake was hard to get released at times and on ocassion rear lights would flash like 4ways where on but where not
THANK YOU for this info about your UFO brake issue. I've made this post to help make your solution more visible. Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:39 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Park Brake

I had a local automotive/small truck shop do the diagnostics check on my coach. Snap-on owns the program and they had a newer diagnostics tool. The tool ckecked all working components and only found a code for the break light switch. i had no lights flashing on the dash. I also talked with a Meritor Rep who also helped with on line manual. PDF allowed me to print the manual and the local shop used it to help with the diagnostics.
51chevy65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake